It's snowing

Somebody answer this please because I'm wondering if it's a stupid Stoke On Trent thing concerning people with an IQ less than 1 or it happens in other parts of the country:

As soon as it is possible to get outside some people will start clearing that rectangular pavement patch in front of their gates :confused: but others will know that it makes zero difference.
The rest of the drive may still be under snow but it's as though some backward mentality kicks in and the patch has to be cleared.
For what purpose? I really don't get the mentality of what is going through their heads.
The old woman next door asked the neighbour opposite if he would clear a path from her front door to the pavement in case she wants to go shopping :confused:
Her drive is as flat as a pancake and as soon as she gets to the pavement she will be walking on quite bad snow but clearing that 10 foot patch will make all the difference.

Rant over.

snowpath.jpg

It makes your drive way safe to walk on? Or path...

If you can make the end / begining part safer why not? Especially for stepping out of your door :o

Somebody answer this please because I'm wondering if it's a stupid Stoke On Trent thing concerning people with an IQ less than 1 or it happens in other parts of the country:

As soon as it is possible to get outside some people will start clearing that rectangular pavement patch in front of their gates :confused: but others will know that it makes zero difference.
The rest of the drive may still be under snow but it's as though some backward mentality kicks in and the patch has to be cleared.
For what purpose? I really don't get the mentality of what is going through their heads.
The old woman next door asked the neighbour opposite if he would clear a path from her front door to the pavement in case she wants to go shopping :confused:
Her drive is as flat as a pancake and as soon as she gets to the pavement she will be walking on quite bad snow but clearing that 10 foot patch will make all the difference.

Rant over.

So you don't slip when putting the bins out?

so your car doesn't get snowed in?

so that the snow stays as snow as it falls and doesn't turn to a sheet of ice on your drive way?

Also it looks British.

I don't get people who do that either. While out they could at least run their shovel down the rest of the pavement outside their house.

Round here people clear a car width channel across the pavement and pile the snow to each side. When trying to walk along the pavement there are all these foot high berms of snow to cross. Lazy ***** :mad:

So you don't slip when putting the bins out?

so your car doesn't get snowed in?

so that the snow stays as snow as it falls and doesn't turn to a sheet of ice on your drive way?

Doesn't anybody read threads?
My reply to Delvis for you -

You're not reading it properly.
Neighbours will clear JUST THE RECTANGLE IN FRONT OF THEIR GATES AND NOTHING ELSE.
The old woman next door is something else.

Also your point about the snow turning to ice but at least while the snow is there it is a visual warning to be careful but when people clear that triangle in front of their gates that now becomes an ice sheet that pedestrians mis-judge.
The bloke opposite me had this very accident happen about 10 years ago when he walked on a neighbours clear triangle, slid, fell over and now he walks with a walking stick.

so why does your picture only show cleared drives and pavements not just pavements?

also you said

The old woman next door asked the neighbour opposite if he would clear a path from her front door to the pavement

Surely that includes a path down the drive?

Sitting here, exasperated, I can offer a small bit of seemingly obvious advice: Invest in a snow shovel for these occasions.

Almost everyone at the end of our cul de sac has come out together to clear the road. I just went out into the village in my car. We live up on a hill so getting back was a bit sketchy but have got back fine. Went past loads of cars abandoned on the side of the road. Only people out were in 4WDs like Land Rovers, Hilux's and Audis. My old car with its skinny wheels has made me happy though. My last car couldn't even move a foot from the same spot.

Took this picture this morning before everyone cleared the road.

427357_292532127477017_100001606967695_852903_470484622_n.jpg

Funny thing is only people who didn't offer help are those with 4WDs. Idiot in the corner with his Hyundai backed out without looking and almost run someone over who was clearing the road!

Last edited:
Yup, the Underground always struggles with the first snowfall. I think management just don't trust weather reports or something.

I can assure you they do take them seriously. Sleet trains were scheduled to run, all point heaters were put into manual override, and staff were also asked to come in on snow duties.

The trouble is, ice/snow is a very good insulator between the conductor rails and pickup shoes on the train, and in heavy snowfall the deicer put on them is next to useless.

The snow builds up on the conductor rails between trains, once these trains get delayed the problem gets worse. An inch of snow on the rail, and the only way round it is to scrape it off manually, drive the train as far as you can, and repeat the process.

so why does your picture only show cleared drives and pavements not just pavements?

You've got good eyes.
I'll guarantee that the houses on the opposite side have only got the rectangle in front of their gates cleared and about 2 foot just the other side.
The woman next door asked her neighbour to clear her drive so that she can go shopping but she hasn't asked him to clear 400 yards of pavement to the shops.

Also your point about the snow turning to ice but at least while the snow is there it is a visual warning to be careful but when people clear that triangle in front of their gates that now becomes an ice sheet that pedestrians mis-judge.
The bloke opposite me had this very accident happen about 10 years ago when he walked on a neighbours clear triangle, slid, fell over and now he walks with a walking stick.

Well going by your picture and your description, I would assume that it is difficult to clear a driveway with a car parked on it hence why they dont clear the drive.

Of course, what they should do is clear the area of pavement that their house/garden is adjacent to. If everyone did this then the pavements would be clear rather than the snow, compacted by people walking, turning into a hard packed ice sheet that takes days to thaw....

Of course, what they should do is clear the area of pavement that their house/garden is adjacent to. If everyone did this then the pavements would be clear rather than the snow, compacted by people walking, turning into a hard packed ice sheet that takes days to thaw....

EXACTLY so clearing the rectangle is pointless.

You're not reading it properly.
Neighbours will clear JUST THE RECTANGLE IN FRONT OF THEIR GATES AND NOTHING ELSE.
The old woman next door is something else.

It's a traditional thing for old people back in the days of common place terraced housing( where they most likely grew up), people would clean the area of pavement in front of their front door whilst chatting to neighbous etc, a lot of the old housing stock was replaced since and generally people don't really take pride in the area these days but older people are stuck in their ways.

I can assure you they do take them seriously. Sleet trains were scheduled to run, all point heaters were put into manual override, and staff were also asked to come in on snow duties.

The trouble is, ice/snow is a very good insulator between the conductor rails and pickup shoes on the train, and in heavy snowfall the deicer put on them is next to useless.

The snow builds up on the conductor rails between trains, once these trains get delayed the problem gets worse. An inch of snow on the rail, and the only way round it is to scrape it off manually, drive the train as far as you can, and repeat the process.

Aha, a man what knows!

Wasn't aware the sleets were running - though I did know the juice was left on all night. I'm just miffed with the general public taking out their frustrations on station staff. We had a train sit down in my station at around 2300 last night, waited for half an hour, THEN tipped out. Joe public wasn't impressed, shouting /screaming/swearing at my colleague and demanding taxis and/or hotel accommodation.

Have a guess where I work...

Back
Top Bottom