It's too hot :(

As a Greek, is public knowledge (and constantly warned about) that you should avoid the sun between 11-15:00 during summer (for UK the hours extend to 16:00). Is the worst period for high UV radiation and no sun cream can help you. While the body is working overtime to keep your cool. Which if it fails to do so, can lead to sudden death or illness and high fever for days.
Also no more than 15-20 minutes per day.

The hours under direct sunlight on the garden,or on their holidays, many Britons do, leads to skin cancer. And the different lighter skin pigment the majority has here is even worse.
And I am not talking about the dangerous type cancer, but even brown dimples on the skin is cancer. Which personally I find them disgusting looking like dirt.

I went to the super market yesterday noon, and saw almost everyone with a roasted brown colour. Which is wrong on health grounds.
If you go to Greece in September you won't find anyone that dark, even when whole summer is spent at the beach daily, like I used to do.

Hell hadn't been that dark even in the army on both summers of 1996 & 1997. And all the day we were out and about, which included daily 2 hours of running and physical exercise while top less. And if noon hours we were out under the sun, sleeves had to be pulled down and all buttons closed to the neck to avoid the metallic tag burning your chest skin. Which believe me is painful.

I'm in Greece at the moment, been around the 30c mark since I arrived (Sunday). It's very interesting to see the locals stay completely (and i mean completely) out of the sun between midday and 4pm. Only the holiday goers are laying out from 9am till 5pm in the baking heat. Most of the day I'm under the parasol unless I'm going in for a swim.

Years since we've seen river beds drying up! Admittedly the River is shallow at this point but still :eek:

Sections of the river's upper reaches are prone to drying out during dry weather and this happens on average about once every three years, the Environment Agency said

Sounds like it's a pretty common thing for the river Teme hot rainless summers or not :) Be interesting to see how other rivers are fairing though

Working conditions are horrendous for me when it's like this, still don't mind it too much though as my place is staying reasonably cool ish all things considered.

Not been out anywhere in it though as it's too hot to be sat in it, just staying in of an evening with cold drinks and a fan.

I've been clearing an elderly relatives very over grown garden for last 2 weeks , brambles as think as broom handles everywhere 3/4m high and and it is not fun in this weather

Its been that warm we've been starting at 08:15 and finishing at 11am Got to stage I had a towel wrapped around my neck to catch all the sweat

Last edited:
Its been that warm we've been starting at 08:15 and finishing at 11am Got to stage I had a towel wrapped around my neck to catch all the sweat

I noticed the people working on a building across the road from me are turning up just before 7am and starting as soon as they can and packed up by 11-11:30am heh - normally people like that you are lucky if they've turned up let alone started on a job by 11 :s

Humidity has shot up and there's no breeze. Thought i was coping well until that happened. Now i want to bathe in ice cubes.

Let me know when you have a proper heat wave.

20140310_cc_angry_summer.jpg

^^ That's a heat wave.

We don't have air con over here mostly

I personally like it.
I' rather it be like this than windy and 15c. But a day or two of rain would be good for the wildlife.
Gf doesn't like winter, and is now starting to not like the heat lol

Only thing that sucks is she can't have the window open at night because she's sounds sensitive!

Back
Top Bottom