It's too hot :(

You know a lot of places on Earth manage with this weather for 95% of the year without life ending right?
Sure but I wouldn't want to try scraping out a living in the Australian outback, would you? Wouldn't be much fun if the UK resembled a dust bowl all year round.

The kinds of plants that manage to eek out an existence in such places are very different to the plants we are used to in our rainy, temperate climate.

And lastly, for a lot of the year such places are barren wastelands, with a short rainy season where the plants return, before doing dormant/setting seed during the dry months.

Frankly we wouldn't be able to deal with that here. The reservoirs are already running dry after two months of hot weather... you think we'd have a hope in hell if there was no rain for another 2-3 months? We'd be screwed.

I've finally cracked with this ongoing heatwave. I mean, I'm northern; anything over a few degrees and we are out in a t-shirt thinking it's summer - cold and rain, that's fine by me.

However, when its high 20s and muggy day after day, every window is permanently open, fan on and still can't cool down. Not to mention the ongoing struggle with the aircon Nazis at work - a drop of rain would be a mighty relief.

I've finally cracked with this ongoing heatwave. I mean, I'm northern; anything over a few degrees and we are out in a t-shirt thinking it's summer - cold and rain, that's fine by me.

However, when its high 20s and muggy day after day, every window is permanently open, fan on and still can't cool down. Not to mention the ongoing struggle with the aircon Nazis at work - a drop of rain would be a mighty relief.
I spent most of Sunday in front of a huge fan wearing a wet t-shirt and wet towel over my head. Worked pretty well.

Probably sounds dumb, but what is this displaying? Only asking as no temperature for the rest of the week is supposed to be heading above 23c and yet this shows Stoke to be 27-29c. Not that I'll complain if that does happen. :p

It is showing projected 2m (basically ground level) temperatures for early afternoon Saturday for the Arpege model - some of the other models aren't predicting quite as high temperatures but the Arpege model is often right.

If i get one more person say being a postman in this weather must be great i'm going to lose it, its been awful some days and have really felt it at end of a 4 hour delivery. Have have some cracking tan lines now as well, my legs are brown from the ankle to the knee but white feet and upper legs. Same for the arms and a nice v neck sun tan to go with my pale torso.

I'm a postie but on sick leave since the 20th of last month, worked out very well for me, it would have been awful at work.

Tried / mowed the grass today was literally just dust, got absoloutely covered in a deadgrass / dust hybrid cloud generated by my lawnmower. Love this weather :D
Think mine is dead, it's a very dry lawn even when it's wet weather so I think this weather has finished it off.

Every other day i'm watering the lawn :( lol. Plants and veg every day.

I had to mow at the weekend, on a high/tall setting though as to keep it green and just lop off the few bits growing to seed.

Half of ours still went brown, shows how quickly it has been drying out. Will keep going. The water bill should be fun. Stupid meter.

It is showing projected 2m (basically ground level) temperatures for early afternoon Saturday for the Arpege model - some of the other models aren't predicting quite as high temperatures but the Arpege model is often right.

Thanks for the clarification. Fingers cross. :D

Today is just right - overcast -no wind to talk of and just 75f - it's cool in the house and earlier I cut the lawn - looks a lot better now it's all neat edges - Lawn out the front is just straw though - just hope it greens up.

It's raining - nice solid rain - every where is wet - not just damp - Wet - I bet water butt's will be full if this keeps up for a few hours. - Saved me going out and using watering cans to water wife's pot's and plants - she is away for the night and I was under orders to water everything.

413957564.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom