It's too hot :(

Caporegime
For like 2 days and the rest was rain! you must understand that heat does not equal sunshine, right? like you cant be serious....
met office quote:
"During July, Cheshire received more than twice the average rainfall for the month (219%). Other counties in central and northern England, including Lancashire, Staffordshire Derbyshire and Leicestershire, also received more than one-and-a-half times the month’s typical rainfall for July."

Wrong.

UK last month
July 2019

July began with a cool, showery north-westerly flow over the UK, but for most of the first half of the month high pressure was close to the south and west and this brought mostly dry weather with plentiful sunshine for much of England, especially the south-west, and also south Wales, but elsewhere cloud was more variable. The second half was generally more unsettled with frequent westerly and south-westerly winds, but with an exceptionally hot spell from the 22nd to 26th which saw record-breaking temperatures in many parts of the country, including a new record for the UK as a whole, and also widespread thunderstorms.

The provisional UK mean temperature was 16.4 °C, which is 1.2 °C above the 1981-2010 long-term average, making it the equal 8th warmest July in a series since 1910, though not as warm as July 2018. The mean minimum temperature was the equal 4th highest in the series. Mean maximum temperatures ranged from over 1.5 °C above normal in the south and east to around 0.5 °C above in some western coastal areas. Mean minimum temperatures were over 1.5 °C above average in much of the north and east, but less than 0.5°C above in the south-west. Rainfall was 114% of average, but was very variable across the country, with below-average rainfall over most of Wales and the south-west, but more than twice the normal amount from Manchester to Leicestershire. Sunshine was 100% of average, and amounts were above normal over the south-west but below normal over most of Scotland and Northern Ireland.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/summaries/index

See that, 100% of sunshine. Unless the met office is wrong?

Soldato
were talking about RAIN. Every single source including the one you link says that it was raining a heck of a lot more than is normal for most of the country. Sure if you live in the deep south im sure it was nice, but for most this summer has sucked hard.

Caporegime
were talking about RAIN. Every single source including the one you link says that it was raining a heck of a lot more than is normal for most of the country. Sure if you live in the deep south im sure it was nice, but for most this summer has sucked hard.

You mentioned sunshine. Want me to quote your post where you do so, again?

For like 2 days and the rest was rain! you must understand that heat does not equal sunshine, right? like you cant be serious....

Oh look, there it is again!

Associate
June/August have predominately been under a returning maritime influence from the Atlantic, bringing cooler and wetter weather.

July was a mixed bag of returning maritime, tropical maritime / continental and polar continental which saw the UK hit by floods, heatwaves and settle conditions.

The summer on the whole has been extremely poor once again, July had it's moments but has been sandwiched in-between an unsettled June and August.

However some of this is region locked just like a DVD player, those of us in the NW and midlands will have seen significant rainfall compared to people on the east coast, south east and parts of Scotland.

Much like Winter, Summer failed to live upto expectations based on signals that just didn't accumulate to anything.

Winter 18-19 through November - March saw some amazing strat warming and gave all of the right signals for a repeat of last winter, but didn't materialize and saw the much colder weather pushed into SE Europe.

Soldato

Define "most of the country". If you're midlands/north you've probably seen some of the wet stuff south and east of that and population wise thats definitely most of us its been tinder dry. Its rained for 3 days this week and thats the first for months.

The summer on the whole has been extremely poor once again, July had it's moments but has been sandwiched in-between an unsettled June and August.

Speak for yourself until this week its been yet another glorious* summer and rain/first breath of autumn isn't unheard of in August infact its been pretty much a feature for years around here. Pressure is rising and weather dry for the rest of the week leading to a very warm and potentially hot bank holiday weekend ahead which is handy as I've got this week off. :p

*if stiffling heat, uncomfortable sleepless nights and lack of rain is your thing.

Last edited:
Associate
Define "most of the country". If you're midlands/north you've probably seen some of the wet stuff south and east of that and population wise thats definitely most of us its been tinder dry. Its rained for 3 days this week and thats the first for months.

Speak for yourself until this week its been yet another glorious* summer and rain/first breath of autumn isn't unheard of in August. Infact its been pretty much a feature for years around here. :p

*if stiffling heat, uncomfortable sleepless nights and lack of rain is your thing.

Where do you live, because trust me on the whole for the UK it's been poor.

Caporegime
Does that mean the met office don't have an understanding? Why would I study models and output data when there's an app that tells me what the weather will be like :)

Oh, you mean that one with the professionals who study the models, data and actually have understanding who then write a summary? That one? Clearly they know nothing!

Soldato
Where do you live, because trust me on the whole for the UK it's been poor.

Please understand, those of us in the east and south east are used to heatwaves lasting for several weeks every single summer almost for the past decade. Summer's have been incredibly uncomfortable for those of us in this part of the country. Multiple summers in this part of the country we have also reach drought conditions.

So this summer has been a much needed reprieve and I dont consider it poor.

Not all of us want to be sitting in glaring hot 30+C sun for weeks on end getting ourselves skin cancer, and sweat dripping off like I just had a shower thank you.

Soldato
forget the models ,its been a cracking summer down here ,guess we are all having this for a while

IMG-20190823-164238-1.jpg

Caporegime
I'm actually pleased to see a cloudless, blue sky for once. :D

Just noticed that my back lawn is absolutely covered in spiders' cobwebs. The dew is making them all show up. I have a vision of an army of spiders crawling up to the house and coming in through my bedroom window now. It's that time of year...

Back
Top Bottom