It's too hot :(

Soldato
Yea - insulation stops the transfer of heat, so it works both ways. But then we have big windows with solar glass that let in/amplify the heat as much as possible :D hence the need for external shutters. Honestly, stopping of direct sunlight before it hits the windows would stop so much heat getting into more modern/well insulated houses.
Agree, I think you can get some special glass / coatings that reflect the heat a bit but better not to have the sun hit the glass in the first place.

Soldato
thanks for the info, what sort of cost was something like you had done.
Loft insulation and full boarding was £3k and the external wall insulation was £2k but that was done as part of a re-render of the house which was £5k on top. We have solid walls so you wouldn’t need it if you have cavity walls.

Agree, I think you can get some special glass / coatings that reflect the heat a bit but better not to have the sun hit the glass in the first place.
A little reflective tint to the patio windows can help. We have that on ours as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Went to Currys, Homebase and Wickes just so I can check out the Meaco fans they've got on their website. The selection at every store was abysmal, with 1-2 generic makes and thats it. Came home and ordered a Meaco 1056 from JL for £109 due on Tuesday.

Soldato
Went to Currys, Homebase and Wickes just so I can check out the Meaco fans they've got on their website. The selection at every store was abysmal, with 1-2 generic makes and thats it. Came home and ordered a Meaco 1056 from JL for £109 due on Tuesday.
That’s a really good fan. It’s a little large compared to others but it really shifts air and is very quiet.

Soldato
If you could I'd be interested to know what you make of it when you get it. I'm considering the same model, but it's expensive and I'm a bit sceptical that it's worth it.

Associate
32C here and want to die. Though its been too hot all week, today takes the biscuit.

My Dad has gone for a drive so he can have some air con, I wonder how many others have done the same? Don't tell the just stop oil lot lol.

Back
Top Bottom