I've given up on LPG - the future is Electric.

unless you have to drive over 60 miles? :)

current ccars can make sense to some people, depending on the use but they do not have the power to replace ICE cars.
Don't agree as its clear electric cars could replace ICE cars for a lot of people and there are benefits to electric cars. The average commute is only 8.5 miles. Most people live within 1 hour of there workplace. Electric cars are pretty good to replace the everyday runabout car a lot of family's have. You then swap to the ICE car for the rare long trips.

what would be great is when you go into a charge station, a automated system removes your flat battery, and fits a freshly charged pack. So you don't have to wait around for it to charge.

Bit like changing your battery pack in a RC car.

This. Warehouses do it with forklifts and order pickers etc. Not sure if it will ever be viable as you would need a standard that EVERY car manufacturer uses. I.e. the same battery pack and sizes to stop theft/misuse.

Don't agree as its clear electric cars could replace ICE cars for a lot of people and there are benefits to electric cars. The average commute is only 8.5 miles. Most people live within 1 hour of there workplace. Electric cars are pretty good to replace the everyday runabout car a lot of family's have. You then swap to the ICE car for the rare long trips.

So own two cars when you only need one.

That's wrong we need 2 cars and own 2 cars. We rarely do 60mile+ long trips when we do we use a fuel car. Our situation is pretty common a lot of if not most family's own at lest 2 cars. I could get away with an electric car for 100% of my driving needs, why would I ever by a fuel car again?

Last edited:
An electric car would be great for my commute (15 miles each way) but the concern would be traffic. If there's an accident I can be in slow moving traffic for quite some time.

How long does a battery last when in traffic that moves just enough that wouldn't turn your engine off.

Being stuck in traffic uses virtually nothing. Its motorway 70mph speeds that eat into range the fastest, oh and the cold takes about 30% of the battery efficiency away. Our Zoe has about 70 mile range in this weather and 100ish + in the summer

No, most families will own two cars. Usually it's a larger vehicle for the person that commutes the longest and a small one as a second car (especially if you have kids). It would be easy enough for most families to swap their Polo sized car for an EV equivalent, leaving the larger car for when they wed the extra range (such as holidays).

Being stuck in traffic uses virtually nothing. Its motorway 70mph speeds that eat into range the fastest, oh and the cold takes about 30% of the battery efficiency away. Our Zoe has about 70 mile range in this weather and 100ish + in the summer

Yep that is one of the biggest issues with batteries. They hate cold and it shortens their life.

But start/stop traffic is where they work. As you get faster their efficiency drops off a lot.

Last edited:
That doesn't make any sense, the reason I want an electric car is I value my time and an electric car would save me lots of time over a fual car.

It makes perfect sense.

I went to Scotland for the new year, if I had an electric car instead of my 1.1 diesel, it would have added nearly an hour on to my trip and cost £12 to use the fast charge points at services, assuming they were functional.

Electric cars are stupid, until the range gets up to 300 miles on one charge, hybrids are the only ones that even slightly peak my interest.

This is where roof solar panels come in. Means the company saves money on running costs and any extra goes towards that. Not sure how you would police it though or arrange costs.

Do you live in fantasy land? Why would employer pay tens of thousands of pounds to have solar panels, which takes years to pay off, then have reserved parking and connection points just in case 1 car out of 50000 is electric, for the employee to charge free of charge for?

haha

Do you live in fantasy land? Why would employer pay tens of thousands of pounds to have solar panels, which takes years to pay off, then have reserved parking and connection points just in case 1 car out of 50000 is electric, for the employee to charge free of charge for?

haha

My employer provides free 7kw recharge points at work with the added bonus of them being right at the front of the car park.

I assume they get some kind of government payment/tax rebate for it.

Back
Top Bottom