I've gone Bavarian! 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Soldato
Bought some new Wipers after what appear to be the originals (8 years!) started squeaking no matter how wet or damp or moist the screen was and only a torrential downpour stopped them squeaking on every sweep. Some sites show an incorrect part number for the 4 series and I ended up with a set of wipers for an Isuzu DMax. Re-ordered and the correct set arrived and were fitted. Success! Quiet and working well again.

what brand - had been using Bosch but there lifespan does not seem great, maybe summer was too hot, but have temporarily put back on the older Michelin hybrid ones, whilst I think;
maybe it's like the tyre market with softer tyres.

£1.5 for super unleaded - bargain, must be, nearer to £1.70 Cambs Esso - maybe it was 1.66 ; brand snobbery have you tested mpg on someone elses super unleaded ?

so are you car play or AA - has that been working OK ?

Caporegime
OP
what brand - had been using Bosch but there lifespan does not seem great, maybe summer was too hot, but have temporarily put back on the older Michelin hybrid ones, whilst I think;
maybe it's like the tyre market with softer tyres.

£1.5 for super unleaded - bargain, must be, nearer to £1.70 Cambs Esso - maybe it was 1.66 ; brand snobbery have you tested mpg on someone elses super unleaded ?

so are you car play or AA - has that been working OK ?
Bosch is what I bought And what was on it previously.

I have neither AA or CarPlay. At least AFAIK for the CarPlay, I have an Android phone.

Caporegime
OP
Was it a tyre valve in the end?
No, something in the tyre. They didn't say what, just said they plugged it and it was fine. Has been fine since too.

Had to add a bit more coolant/antifreeze, on very cold mornings it would ask for a top up. Couldn't for the life of me see a min/max so added 500ml of BMW concentrated 50:50 coolant and distilled water. No complaints from the car since.

Caporegime
OP
One of my little bug bears has always been the top of the centre console. It's become very worn since I got the car, especially where I rest my arm so i got a replacement for £35 from ebay and fitted it today.

The original:
HnideZt.jpg

The replacement:
gRwziWq.jpg

And after fitting, which was easy enough and best done from the back seat. Remove the rear cover around the vents which just pulls off, unplug the cable if you wish to give you more room. Use a flat blade screwdriver in the centre of the spring to unclip it, remove the pins on each side by pushing from the middle then pulling at each end. The old cover then just lifts out, the new one goes in, replace spring and pins, push spring back into place and replace vents and you're done.

New cover in place:
vaRLrXi.jpg

Car was also at the main dealer yesterday for the airbag recall and they performed a free health check. All green except one minor issue, one of the centre exhaust clamps has a fairly substantial crack in it. I declined their offer of replacing it for £130 as the car is in for MOT on Tuesday and I'll get them to replace it then. Again I'm not expecting anything untoward, especially after the health check by BMW so expect a clean, new 12 months ticket. Should it pass it means that the only 'non service/maintenance' issue has been the exhaust clamp. Given the car is a few months shy of 9 years old and has just under 52k miles that's excellent value.

Oh I forgot to add, a new battery for the remote and a new metal cover as well have been bought. The battery was £5 for two from eBay as well, the metal cover around £14 but it's a sturdy bit of kit and keeps the key nice and clean as well as preventing me pressing the boot open by accident.

Caporegime
OP
Have you been happy with the car in general? Came from a focus if I remember correctly?

Has it been the step up you were hoping for?
I have. It's very comfortable, especially after ditching the run flats. It still feels good to drive, very smooth and easy to drive, the auto gearbox has even made me a self shifting convert. Only issue is Son says I'm never allowed to sell it, I must give it to him once I'm done!

I have had some seeds of changing it next year once it's paid off. Perhaps something with either 8 cylinders or maybe a twin turbo V6.

Caporegime
OP
Took it to a local place for a 2 stage machine polish and 5 year ceramic coating and initially I'm very impressed. Any surface scratches or swirl marks I was aware of are gone. The colour seems so uniform and bright now. We'll see how easy it is to clean and what happens when it rains, likely this evening.

gNXnBST.jpg

49U88lV.jpg

xgiFJAA.jpg

Jyih8AM.jpg

rjKQg7A.jpg

One minor thing has cropped up, there's a knocking noise coming from the front of the car, but it comes and goes weirdly. Doesn't seem any worse or happening when going over bumps but often when starting off or coming to a stop. Then it'll go away for a few days then comes back. Thinking likely drop link(s) or perhaps a suspension top mount. It's going in for a service in July so we'll see if it gets any worse before then.

Soldato
That looks really well, I bet with being Black in sunny conditions the paintwork looks far better than it did after a Multistage Polish etc.

Those Exhaust tips could do with some TLC to match the super glossy finish of your paint work mind!

Back
Top Bottom