January Transfer Window 2016/17 - Rumours & Signings

Soldato
Not disagreeing but why wasn't he played more often?

I think most fans will agree Mourinho has made some questionable decisions but guess we have to deal with it.

To be honest he didnt look as though he could really cope with the pace of the EPL in the matches last season, now some of that was down to tactics maybe - but some of it was just down to his legs going / gone. He looked ok in the match I saw earlier this season, but just "ok" not really worth the money

Maybe we are still paying some of the wages, but imo that would be worth it to get a free place in the squad back - hopefully get a few more back in the summer (Rooney, Young etc etc)

Even if JM doesnt use all the spaces, just getting rid of the players who dont get games is a move in the right direction (even Shaw, who I would love to stay, but doesnt look likely unfortunately - and I cant really blame him either)

Soldato
Even if JM doesnt use all the spaces, just getting rid of the players who dont get games is a move in the right direction (even Shaw, who I would love to stay, but doesnt look likely unfortunately - and I cant really blame him either)

Someone really needs to cement that LB position as Darmian/Blind aren't that convincing, it has to be Shaw stepping up but what can he do that he's not already.

Sorry gone off topic a bit

Soldato
Someone really needs to cement that LB position as Darmian/Blind aren't that convincing, it has to be Shaw stepping up but what can he do that he's not already.

Sorry gone off topic a bit

As a backup utility player Blind isnt bad, but you are right as a first choice not the best. I really hope it will be Shaw, but it just sounds like something has happened behind the scenes and Mouinho has gone off him (unfairly imo)

Darmian will head back to Italy (possibly Juve) in the summer I would guess.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Shaw has obviously fallen out of favour for one reason or another. We all know what Shaw is capable of but post injury he hasn't looked the same player. A large part of that is perhaps the leg break but some of that will also be lack of match fitness. With the alternatives we have I don't know why he hasn't been given the chances to improve unless his attitude is a problem. I'm sure we will find out in time.

Soldato
Didnt Shaw play most recently in one of the Europa legs (no pun intended) and put in some really good last minute blocks?
IF my memory serves me right, then it cant be a psychological issues after the double leg break last season surely. In general I seem to recall him playing really well in that game

Caporegime
I could understand if it was another left back we were playing over him. But we literally don't have another left back (Jose's words) and we've still found five people to play there over him this season. It's clear Jose has something against him.

Man of Honour
This Griezman to utd for 86m talk is just insane. The world of football transfers has simply gone crazy. If it happens, then utd will have paid £184 million for 2 players. (Pogba/Griezman)

I mean seriously, just think on that for a moment. 184 million quid, for 2 footballers.

Madness.

Associate
I could understand if it was another left back we were playing over him. But we literally don't have another left back (Jose's words) and we've still found five people to play there over him this season. It's clear Jose has something against him.

wouldnt suprise me if Jose still got the hump that Shaw chose UTD over chelsea becuase he wouldnt get any game time.

Soldato
This Griezman to utd for 86m talk is just insane. The world of football transfers has simply gone crazy. If it happens, then utd will have paid £184 million for 2 players. (Pogba/Griezman)

I mean seriously, just think on that for a moment. 184 million quid, for 2 footballers.

Madness.

Im not disagreeing with you at all - but is ~90m today really that much more than £40m or whatever for Ronaldinho etc etc 10-15 years ago?
Just because of how much merchandising / sponsorship has grown in the intervening time I would pur forward that £40m back in the day was actually "worth" more

My 2p is that I dont actually think Griezmann will come to Utd this summer, and to be honest I think we could spend that £90m or whatever on different parts of the squad and become a better side for it
Personally, (as has been suggested, esp with £40m+ in the bank from recent sales plus what sales we do in the summer) lets say £200m could be much better spent on 5 players in total rather than 2-3 players + Griezmann......and they could still be "high quality additions".

Not doubting Griezmann as a player, just right now too many holes in the squad to justify it - and with these flair players it could take a while for him to get used to the EPL , which might put next season much more difficult than it needs to be.

edit Zidane is a better example as he was around the 45m mark to RM in 2001, Barca paid around 30m euros for Ronaldinho

wouldnt suprise me if Jose still got the hump that Shaw chose UTD over chelsea becuase he wouldnt get any game time.

Thats the only "logical" answer imo

Last edited:
Caporegime
I can't see Griezmann coming to us, he seems pretty happy at Atletico. Doesn't he have a Spanish wife as well? I'd rather see us strengthen the midfield so we don't look so bad when the likes of Pogba and Herrera are out. We desperately need a deeper replacement for Carrick now that we've got rid of Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin.

Back
Top Bottom