January Transfer Window 2017/18

Man of Honour
Think it's time for a new transfer thread.

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho will be told to offload players if he wants to add to his squad in January.

The Old Trafford board want to control costs before sanctioning more outlay on new signings.

Mourinho has spent £285m on transfer fees on six major signings during his two years at the club.

United's most recent financial results, released in September, showed their wage bill had risen by 13.5% to £263.5m.

Defender Luke Shaw, who cost United £27m in 2014 but yet to start this season, is the most likely departure.

The 22-year-old has started just four Premier League games in 12 months through a combination of injury and poor form.

The future of Marouane Fellaini is also unclear. The Belgium midfielder's contract expires in the summer and he will be free to negotiate with overseas clubs in January.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41901025

This seems to be what the club are briefing; I think we absolutely will have to make at least one good signing in January.

Sadly, I think a case could be made for selling half of the first team squad...

Caporegime
Watch Shaw go somewhere, get fit when a manager actually wants him and doesn't treat him like **** for having the gall to let someone break his leg, then go to City alongside KDB to finally complete the side that wins the champs league/league double.

How Fellaini hasn't gone I don't know, vastly vastly better players around, when you rely in a piece of poop to go in and foul people again you're just setting the team up to play a certain way. The best teams don't have a plan B because if you spend all your time falling back to plan B, C and D, plan A never gets to be great. The best teams play their way and win or lose by it, in general anyway.

Fellaini represents everything the club shouldn't be and shouldn't fall back to constantly. Herrera could go, Young is actually pretty good, he's vastly under rated but constantly goes through spells of being exceptionally useful to utd before he gets dropped for basically no reason. Valencia should go, Jones to, is Carrick still actually there or did he finally retire.

Utd realistically need two world class full backs or to give consistent game time to some they do have.... excluding Valencia who is a joke, with Mourinho it's pretty clear the latter won't happen so he needs to buy two full backs and another creative/decent central mid.

Oh, Mata should be sold, I've said many times, he's a guy that doesn't really have a position, doesn't really excel and again like Fellaini, you can get by with him or you can sell him and buy someone for a specific role who can play that single role much better and the team can get used to playing that way. Micky.... at this point I honestly can't tell if he's good or not, the first season at dortmund I thought he was hilariously bad, then he had an epic year and a couple of pretty terrible years for Utd. At this point I'm leaning towards that one year with Dortmund being a fluke like Ramsey's magic 4 months with us, but maybe it's about the manager and style. If Utd could find a buyer I'd not take the risk of him coming good and find a replacement.

Associate
I Do think united need some more Strength in defence . However i dont agree getting rid of Mata just yet failani is a definate get rid of only use is he is tall and a bully , maybe united could steal Ozil and or sanchez on a free for summertime who would be available fullback wise that would fit with united atm ???

Soldato
I Do think united need some more Strength in defence . However i dont agree getting rid of Mata just yet failani is a definate get rid of only use is he is tall and a bully , maybe united could steal Ozil and or sanchez on a free for summertime who would be available fullback wise that would fit with united atm ???

Would happily get rid of Fellaini and Mata myself (and Smalling & one of Blind or Darmian) - but think we need at least one centre half, one full back and a cm (at the current transfer prices that would cost a bomb even while selling the listed players ) but we have enough games left for them to cement places if they are chosen well enough

Thats just Jan as well :(

edit - I think Shaw will leave on loan, and Utd will use that as a window for the summer to sell him, I dont think they would get anything if they sold him in Jan (comparatively)

Associate
Would happily get rid of Fellaini and Mata myself (and Smalling & one of Blind or Darmian) - but think we need at least one centre half, one full back and a cm (at the current transfer prices that would cost a bomb even while selling the listed players ) but we have enough games left for them to cement places if they are chosen well enough

Thats just Jan as well :(

edit - I think Shaw will leave on loan, and Utd will use that as a window for the summer to sell him, I dont think they would get anything if they sold him in Jan (comparatively)

Lol its a shame united didnt see bonucci going for 40 mill to ac they could have offered more lol

Soldato
the last thing we need is a central defender, we're overloaded there.

Overloaded with ***** though

We have one decent centre half (Bailly) - one injury prone player (Jones) - one prospect (Tuanzebe) and the rest are awful

IF the way forward is three centre half's and wing backs - thats clearly not going to be enough even IF Fosu Mensa comes back 1/2 decent from his loan spell

Even with only two at the back its questionable (if the team have any desire to win anything in the near future)

edit Im not ready to give up on Lindelof by a long way, but he will need a lot more time before he is ready for this level

smalling and Blind (the only other two centre halfs I can think of at the moment) are either highly questionable at this level or totally the wrong build to be a centre half .

does any current EPL club have as short a centre half as 5ft 9 (1.8m) ? Its not all about height but that size is too short imo

Last edited:
Caporegime
Jones and Smalling have both been very good this season, Jones in particular has been better than Bailly so far. If Rojo comes back from injury and recaptures his form we'll have Rojo, Smalling, Jones, Bailly, Lindelof and Tuanzebe. That's plenty even for a 3 at the back system.

We have probably the best defence in the league. Especially in the centre, it's the last area we need to look at.

Caporegime
Rojo is far from trash, he was excellent last season. Jose has improved him drastically. Lindelof hasn't played that much, had a couple of good games, couple of poor games. He's far from the finished article.

Soldato
In a lot of games we have gotten away with terrible defending to win /draw games thanks to brilliant DDG saves or last ditch tackles

Just because we aren't conceding many doesn't mean we are good at the back. Rojo is as bad as smalling and its a huge IF that he recovers any form at all. No point in having Jones if he is always injured (yet again currently) - Bailly has been a lot better in general this season than any other cb this season.

Jones was responsible for both goals vs Stoke - and those are the types fo games Utd need to win to get another title.

Anyway - rumours flying around that Fellaini is on his way out for £8m, and JM is watching Fred as a replacement probably complete **** at this point

Soldato
Jones and Smalling have both been very good this season, Jones in particular has been better than Bailly so far. If Rojo comes back from injury and recaptures his form we'll have Rojo, Smalling, Jones, Bailly, Lindelof and Tuanzebe. That's plenty even for a 3 at the back system.

We have probably the best defence in the league. Especially in the centre, it's the last area we need to look at.

lol seriously?

Caporegime
Chelsea have conceded twice as many goals as us, the other two have both conceded more too. Spurs are probably the closest just because Alderweireld is probably the best defender in the league.

Caporegime
If you want to discuss it feel free to start a thread and I'd be happy to talk about it, but I think we'll get in trouble if we derail the transfer thread with it :p

Lots of rumours coming out that fellaini might be moving in January, not from very good sources so it's probably crap. Jose said in the summer that he'd rather move himself than sell fellaini. obviously he might have decided he doesn't want to sign a contract but I'd be surprised, he's clearly a key part of Jose's plans and he seems to love the club.

Man of Honour
I was surprised at how disorganised your defence was against us and can't believe they have let in so few goals this season, we should've scored at least 4 that day and it was down to **** poor finishing not your defence that we didn't.
That may have just been that game they looked so poor granted but I've seen better from City and Spurs this season.

Caporegime
Shaw! You having a laugh? Really feel for the guy, someone else is going to take him and he'll be great. We will probably buy him back for £100m a few years later :rolleyes:

Bebe - we need more Bebes :p:o

Soldato
I was surprised at how disorganised your defence was against us and can't believe they have let in so few goals this season, we should've scored at least 4 that day and it was down to **** poor finishing not your defence that we didn't.
That may have just been that game they looked so poor granted but I've seen better from City and Spurs this season.

Unfortunately it hasn't been just that game where it looked disorganized

Back
Top Bottom