January Transfer Window 2017/18

Man of Honour
Think it's time for a new transfer thread.

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho will be told to offload players if he wants to add to his squad in January.

The Old Trafford board want to control costs before sanctioning more outlay on new signings.

Mourinho has spent £285m on transfer fees on six major signings during his two years at the club.

United's most recent financial results, released in September, showed their wage bill had risen by 13.5% to £263.5m.

Defender Luke Shaw, who cost United £27m in 2014 but yet to start this season, is the most likely departure.

The 22-year-old has started just four Premier League games in 12 months through a combination of injury and poor form.

The future of Marouane Fellaini is also unclear. The Belgium midfielder's contract expires in the summer and he will be free to negotiate with overseas clubs in January.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41901025

This seems to be what the club are briefing; I think we absolutely will have to make at least one good signing in January.

Sadly, I think a case could be made for selling half of the first team squad...

Man of Honour
OP
Reports today Man Utd are interested in signing Leon Goretzka. Great player, probably difficult in January though, but his contract is running down...

Man of Honour
OP
He's not the greatest defender but he's a ball playing defender who pushes forward and acts like a defensive midfielder at times too. Klopp's aggressive football needs defenders like that.

Transfers have gone crazy now, any in demand player will be £50m+.

Man of Honour
OP
The price for a top player now is around £100m+, where as before it was £50-60m. So while VvD is expensive, it falls in line with the current transfer market and supply and demand. Maybe he'll be a flop but that can happen with any transfer for numerous reasons. I'm not sure he's the absolute best CB around or close to it, but he's very aggressive and versatile which will fit Klopp's system well.

Mourinho said Pogba would look pretty cheap before too long and that's already the case, although he's not playing all that well at the moment, but still.

While there are always examples of great young players being bought cheaply, that will start to fizzle out now. Gabriel Jesus is one such example but he could just as easily have been rubbish.

Man of Honour
OP
Bailly is worth nothing at the moment as he seems injury prone. :(

One of the best defenders I've seen recently but he's no good if he's not fit.

Man of Honour
OP
His comments about not being able to compete financially are ludicrous, yes. Everyone knows that isn't the case.

Regarding Klopp, he once said that if Pogba level transfers became commonplace, he'd leave football as he doesn't want to be a part of that (or something along those lines) - yet here he is paying £75m for Van Dijk. I've nothing against that, but there is hypocrisy there.

Man of Honour
OP
I’m not passing judgement, just pointing out why Mourinho was having a dig at Klopp (which Klopp did initially, hence the hypocrisy).

Man of Honour
OP
Sounds like Barca are going to try and get Coutinho, according to press here and in Spain.

Wenger will listen to offers of £25m for Sanchez, Mourinho should try it if he's not City bound. He'd be an ideal #7 for us.

Man Utd have told agents they want 1-2 full backs and an attacking midfielder.

Man of Honour
OP
As long as a good chunk of it is upfront, that's a great deal. Unfortunately it also means any selling club will be able to demand massive prices, but not much can be done about that.

Man of Honour
OP
I wonder if there's any truth to the Aubameyang to Arsenal rumours, good player and he's absolutely rapid.

Man of Honour
OP
£142m is a great price (for Liverpool), I really don't think he's that good. But the transfer market is crazy, £100m+ fees will be the norm before too long for any top level player.

Back
Top Bottom