January Transfer Window Thread - rumours and signings here

Man of Honour
Only 24 hours after the transfer window closed, not bad :p

Excellent news if true, as that'll have saved us 10 grand (assuming the rumoured £70k/week wages are accurate).

Gotta feel sorry for Darren Bent, just when he thought he was getting a look in, Spurs go and buy back a couple of strikers! :)

Caporegime
Zenit and that nice agent he has.

Zenit don't need the money and I think that both sides were playing hard to get for most of the month. With Arsenal seemingly not willing to budge and Zenit knowing he desperately wanted to leave I think they may have folded at the end.

If the fee was around the £12mil then it could turn out to be a good deal (although potentially another Reyes).

I think that Gooner14 is right also when he talks about our lack of negotiator. There have been quite a few games in quick succession recently and Arsene pointed out inbetween games that preparing for the games was more important than the ongoing transfer saga.

I can't remember there being any issues with Pavlyuchenko coming from Zenit. Then again, probably because Zenit wanted rid of him before Spurs realised they'd bought the wrong striker of theirs :p. (Pogrebnyak looks much better).

Soldato
At last the farce has ended and we've got our man, but I hope that all of us fellow Gooners don't think he'll be the answer to all our problems, but I just hope he'll give us the necessary boost to get us finishing fourth.

You mean he isnt going to save us? How disappointing. :(

Seriously though, I think with Fab, rosicky, walcott and Ed coming back soon we will have a great chance of pushing for forth now. At least we actually signed someone this window.

Not in the position we wanted but he will do. Just hope we can score more than concede!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It will be interesting to see exactly where he does play, as everyone has had a different opinion. IN this thread alone people have suggested right wing, fabregas's role, RVP's role, somewhere between the two and a up top front man. I think slotting into Fabregas's role for now wouldn't be surprising, but when Cesc is back, I have no clue where he'll be playing.

IT does worry me that if he plays mostly in Cesc's position, that losing Cesc to a huge money transfer could be a real possibility this or next summer. I pray to god he wasn't signed as a replacement under the assumption we can't hold on to Cesc if we drop out of league contention for a few years.

I think if Wenger's smart he'll play Denilson back into the middle, and place Arshavin on the right. He'll need time to settle in and I think on the wing would be a better way of doing things as opposed straight into the middle.

Here's hoping he's awesome, and in a few months our midfield lines up Nasri Cesc Arshavin and Theo. God that looks so much better than what we have now. I'd have loved to put Rosicky back in there, but nobody honestly knows when he's back...

On another note, Arseblogger's site has been bombarded with ad's. Hey, we only get his daily rant down the middle. :/

Associate
I think with constant injuries and whoever is in and out the team with suspensions etc.. he will play centre with cesc when applicable and right when theo is out or visa versa.

daz

daz

Soldato
Gotta feel sorry for Darren Bent, just when he thought he was getting a look in, Spurs go and buy back a couple of strikers! :)

Bent's got 14 goals in total so far this season... despite missing a large chunk of games with niggly injuries. You have to wonder what more they want from him. Out of 26 Premier League goals Tottenham have scored in total this season, Bent has scored 9 of them.
dunno.gif

Stats this season
Total (Club) 30 (11) 14
League 22 (9) 9

That's 19 starts in total, 14 goals (11 substitute appearances)
13 league starts, 9 goals. (9 substitute appearances)

Tottenham need to keep clean sheets and stiffen up their defence and midfield tbh...

Last edited:
Associate
It does baffle me why Pavlyuchenko plays over Bent as Bent does seem to do rather well when he starts and gets absolutely no praise for doing so.

Because Bent's a donkey? The amount of chances ive seen him miss when watching that guy... He did well in pre-season too, I carn't see him getting a regular place in the Spurs team at all. Yea hes scored some goals, but in contrast to Chenko hes not 1/2 the player in my eyes.

Now that Keanes back I think Keane himself would rarther play with Chenko over Bent.

Chenko is much more technical, good in the air and has in general a better touch than Bent... infact only thing I can think Bent has on Chenko is pace, nothing else.

Caporegime
The fact remains, he still scores goals, so someone who scores should be playing?
Pavlyu"Chenko" has done nothing. He looks lightweight, lacks vision or determination to put his body in the way. Pavlyuchenko also fluffed more chances at Euro 2008 than I've seen any player do at a major tournament. Darren Bent gets goals, always has done, but he doesn't get a run in the team long enough to build consistency, but even this season his stats aren't bad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom