Poll: Japanese Grand Prix 2018, Suzuka - Race 17/21

Rate the 2018 Japanese Grand Prix out of ten.

• Total voters
Soldato
What's he done recently? Like Alonso, he's supposed to be a great talent, but what's his performances and championships been like recently? Has he bought glory or embarrassment to himself and his teams?

Yet he has convincingly beaten Kimi having 'performed poorly'.

Outside of Hamilton, Vestappen and Ricciardo who is better than Vettle? Oh right, no one. Everyone holds up Alonso like he is a master of F1 cars but the reality is he checked out years ago and is now well past his prime. Every other driver on the grid is objectively slower, or involved in more incidents than Vettle (Vestappen is just as bad as Vettle IMO).

The only one on the grid that is a bit of an unknown is Le Clerc, he has shown promise this year but is still a bit of an unknown quantity. We will see next year, but I can imagine when Vettle is ahead by the summer break all the haters will be like 'oh but its his first season, Vettle is rubbish blah blah' :rolleyes:

Soldato
Yet he has convincingly beaten Kimi having 'performed poorly'.

Outside of Hamilton, Vestappen and Ricciardo who is better than Vettle? Oh right, no one. Everyone holds up Alonso like he is a master of F1 cars but the reality is he checked out years ago and is now well past his prime. Every other driver on the grid is objectively slower, or involved in more incidents than Vettle (Vestappen is just as bad as Vettle IMO).

The only one on the grid that is a bit of an unknown is Le Clerc, he has shown promise this year but is still a bit of an unknown quantity. We will see next year, but I can imagine when Vettle is ahead by the summer break all the haters will be like 'oh but its his first season, Vettle is rubbish blah blah' :rolleyes:

My point is that when you're racing, you're judged on what you do right now, not on past glories. How many wins you got this year. Even how many championships you won last year doesn't mean much. No one (least of all those other drivers on the track) care what you did five years or ten years ago. You're only as good as what points you can score.

Soldato
Everyone holds up Alonso like he is a master of F1 cars but the reality is he checked out years ago and is now well past his prime.

I'd say it's difficult to say that. He is putting **** cars in places they wouldn't be otherwise.
Definitely not checked out, just constantly in the wrong place (through his own poor decisions).

Man of Honour
OP
Alonso is pretty much unparalleled in carrying a ****box to positions it has no right being in.

He came very close to winning 2010 & 2012 WDC with Ferrari when having 2nd/3rd best car on the grid. There's only so much you can do with the cars he's been given of recent at McLaren.

Agreed that he's been the architect of his own demise however.

Back
Top Bottom