• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

JayZ review of the 5700XT Red Devil, don't OC, Undervolt.

Permabanned
I feel like an impatient toddler :D

My RX570 4GB is struggling so much with my new 3440x1440 monitor. I need a GPU upgrade. But until prices and availability settle down, I can't see the sense in jumping on board. Fortunately I'm away for most of the next six weeks, by which point prices will hopefully have settled (and Black Friday will be on the way...).

Well, the problem is in the four gigabytes of GDDR5. You need to jump onto the eight gigabytes RX 5700 XT, so you will see 112% :eek: performance uplift.

RX-570-vs-RX-5700-XT.png

Soldato
I feel like an impatient toddler :D

My RX570 4GB is struggling so much with my new 3440x1440 monitor. I need a GPU upgrade. But until prices and availability settle down, I can't see the sense in jumping on board. Fortunately I'm away for most of the next six weeks, by which point prices will hopefully have settled (and Black Friday will be on the way...).
There are plenty of 2nd hand 8Gb Polaris cards on the bay for not much money.

Soldato
Indeed.

Needs to be RDNA now really. The 580 and 590 aren't powerful enough, and the Vega cards are too power hungry.

Sure Vega uses more power but with a decent cooler it's no different to any other card. I don't miss the extra 5 to 10 pence it might be using over a card that has similar performance. With an undervolt Vega 56/64 is not using much if any more power than Nvidia equivalents anyhow. My Vega 64 Red Devil is a great card tbh. I would probably still take a 5700 non xt if it was a similar price to be on the new architecture.

Associate
Does any vendor have confirmed availability/despatch dates for the Red Devil? I would love to get my hands on one before the kid starts school on the 4th September. Have all the components purchased for a full AMD build, just missing the GPU now. Lol.

Soldato
Sure Vega uses more power but with a decent cooler it's no different to any other card. I don't miss the extra 5 to 10 pence it might be using over a card that has similar performance. With an undervolt Vega 56/64 is not using much if any more power than Nvidia equivalents anyhow. My Vega 64 Red Devil is a great card tbh. I would probably still take a 5700 non xt if it was a similar price to be on the new architecture.

I wasn't knocking the Vega 64. I'm simply not sure that my PSU will handle it. 450W is dicey.

Soldato
What's happening with the availability of the AIB cards? I'm feeling very lucky to have got one from the first batch. Either they sold a huge amount or the initial allocation was just so they could say they had launched.

Associate
Very limited availability, I ordered on the same day as you, and missed out on the first batch, powercolor sent a new batch this friday.

Retailers have raised prices cos of demand, so at the least Im not paying the higher price.

Associate
Just bought the 5700XT Devil Limited Edition as it was in stock, what's the best way to get the most from these?

Will DDU uninstall my driver's and install the latest drivers If that's recommended, do I auto undervolt the card? Or should I be doing something manually.

I had less than spectacular experience with the Vega and getting more from it.

Also the drivers I'm on, which are the previous drivers to the newest, are rubbish, the card regularly resets itself to default profile, on previous drivers this rarely if ever happened.

Are the newer drivers stable for the 5700XT?

Soldato
Just bought the 5700XT Devil Limited Edition as it was in stock, what's the best way to get the most from these?

Will DDU uninstall my driver's and install the latest drivers If that's recommended, do I auto undervolt the card? Or should I be doing something manually.

I had less than spectacular experience with the Vega and getting more from it.

Also the drivers I'm on, which are the previous drivers to the newest, are rubbish, the card regularly resets itself to default profile, on previous drivers this rarely if ever happened.

Are the newer drivers stable for the 5700XT?

I just uninstalled via program manager and installed the new ones. Seems ok so far but I've not tested across a wide range of games yet. Just set it to auto undervolt in Wattman and that's it so far. Pretty impressed with it.

Soldato
Undervolting is okay, but if you are okay with increasing the power limit and have adequate cooling, you want more volts. Not less.

Undervolting basically just gets more out of the stock power limit (and thermal limit if thermal throttling).

Soldato
Undervolting basically just gets more out of the stock power limit (and thermal limit if thermal throttling).
Which, in turn, lowers the baseline for the GPU's boost algorithms to work from, allowing the card to boost higher and for longer because there is more power and thermal headroom. That in itself equates to an "overclock" because boost performance will be higher than stock.

And then increase power limits.

But it's not just the old school way of cranking the voltage up any more and pushing the clocks.

Soldato
Which, in turn, lowers the baseline for the GPU's boost algorithms to work from, allowing the card to boost higher and for longer because there is more power and thermal headroom. That in itself equates to an "overclock" because boost performance will be higher than stock.

And then increase power limits.

But it's not just the old school way of cranking the voltage up any more and pushing the clocks.

Well that can only go so far. People under water should be increasing clocks. They need to be drawing more power to hit higher clock speeds, not less.

Associate
Sorry to go off-topic, but I've seen the regular Red Devil include the 3 months FREE Xbox Game Pass. Doesn't the limited edition come with this offer too? If not, is there a particular reason why?

*EDIT: Oops, sorry, maybe should post this is the owner's thread. Apologies.

Soldato
People under water should be increasing clocks.
That's narrow-minded. I know a lot of people who use water to lower temps for stock, not to clock the **** off their kit.
They need to be drawing more power to hit higher clock speeds, not less.
If you live in the dark ages, maybe. Just because that used to be the case doesn't mean it still is or should be. If higher clocks can be achieved through lower power, why would you "need" to increase it?

Besides, you are ultimately drawing more power, the entire point of the undervolt is to lower the power requirement and heat generation at stock so the boost algorithms have more headroom when the clocks and power starts ramping up.

Back
Top Bottom