Jeep SRT8 - Finally Got One Of My Fave Cars Ever -

Associate
Each time I come onto this thread to see any updates on the motor, I always find myself going straight to auto trader and having a good look at those for sale. A nice big V8 in a very practical vehicle, sounds like a idea to me. How often do you find yourself going to the cathedral of despair to fill up?

Soldato
OP
Each time I come onto this thread to see any updates on the motor, I always find myself going straight to auto trader and having a good look at those for sale. A nice big V8 in a very practical vehicle, sounds like a idea to me. How often do you find yourself going to the cathedral of despair to fill up?
Cheers man appreciated. yeah there's three solid ones for sale at the minute and lovely condition silver one with low miles.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...ion=on&aggregatedTrim=SRT8&radius=1501&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104151415891?make=JEEP&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=ch87qg&model=GRAND CHEROKEE&sort=relevance&include-delivery-option=on&aggregatedTrim=SRT8&radius=1501&page=1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174757471881?hash=item28b05b6689:g:u5sAAOSwIhJgkaGr

As for fuel, yeah it's not great but then again doing lots of crappy miles since I bought only been on two decently longer runs (when I say longer I mean around 45 mile trips)... but computer is saying 15.2mpg lol... and running on 99octane and thats' £100 to fill the thing so yeah it aint cheap but then again I knew it wouldnt' be. I'm never cheap on my cars, so it's having the love and it's eating the fuel, just like a 6.1ltr should have.

I'd reccomend getting one if you can, but if you can't chuck fuel at it... I'd be wary lol. I reckon if I had a lot more fun than I currently do you'd be looking around 10-12mpg no problem... hahaha, but I do think on a long motortrip on cruise at 80mph, it'd easily do 20mpg... one of those really :) Love the thing though has no right to be this quick lol.

Plus, there will be some amendments to the exhaust on Thursday and cannae wait :cool::cool::cool:

Also, need to get some nice pictures as well, so hopefully if the weather is nice over the next couple of weeks will take him into Snowden area and get some proper piccies... :eek:

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
So, went the dyno again... and here are the results. Now running; new Iridium Spark Plugs, breathing system cleaned with Catch Can and Oil filler breather, BWoody CAI, running Shell VPower and a custom tune by Yohan and Diablo.

1). Original factory Standard: 305.9bhp@wheels (estimated 420.7bhp) and 557Nm Torque (410lbs)
2). Post mods and Yohan tune: 328.4bhp@wheels (estimated 451.7bhp) and 583Nm Torque (430lbs)

That's a 31bhp and 26Nm/20lbs torque increase over my base figures! Power increases are not amazing, but around what I expected as this is just general maintenance and bolt-on.

The dyno calibration seems to show a really high 27.3% loss to the wheels when running AWD. That seems high BUT it is what it is. Plus it's the only 4WD dyno around here. So, based on the fact that most dyno's are not calibrated the same and I can only go off this 4WD to keep the figures constant.

Whether the figures are correct or not, this is the increase I'm showing, so that's as far as I can go this year. That's giving me a 12.99s 1/4 mile and a 4.52s 0-60mph using Draggy box. All better than the quoted figures so it's a result.

Think on a cold day and hitting it perfect from the lights, I think a 4.4s and a 12.8x will be as quick as this thing can go.

Super Charger next year
1f60e.png

Never spotted this!
4.5s to 60 and 1/4 mile a smidge under 13s is damn quick mate. I managed a 12.9 once in my Mustang with 460HP, damn manual gearbox and a 12.9s in my E46 M3 which had 360HP and weighed 1300kg, but again damn SMG.

Just proves how effective a decent automatic is at launching of the line and not fluffing any gear changes as your truck is absolutely hauling, bet you must love it if you get a hot hatch along side you and you then just decimate them off the line. :D

Does it have cylinder deactivation when cruising? If so suspect it will do 25+ on a run, did a 600 mile round trip in the M5 this weekend, average for weekend was 20mpg and on motorway it was returning 23mpg at 85mph and 26mpg at 70mph, so if can't see yours being too far of that considering the M5 has no overdrive or cylinder deactivation and is feeding 10 hungry cylinders, lol. :D

Soldato
OP
Never spotted this!
4.5s to 60 and 1/4 mile a smidge under 13s is damn quick mate. I managed a 12.9 once in my Mustang with 460HP, damn manual gearbox and a 12.9s in my E46 M3 which had 360HP and weighed 1300kg, but again damn SMG.

Just proves how effective a decent automatic is at launching of the line and not fluffing any gear changes as your truck is absolutely hauling, bet you must love it if you get a hot hatch along side you and you then just decimate them off the line. :D

Does it have cylinder deactivation when cruising? If so suspect it will do 25+ on a run, did a 600 mile round trip in the M5 this weekend, average for weekend was 20mpg and on motorway it was returning 23mpg at 85mph and 26mpg at 70mph, so if can't see yours being too far of that considering the M5 has no overdrive or cylinder deactivation and is feeding 10 hungry cylinders, lol. :D

Hahaha, cheers man appreciate,d nice to know people appreciate just raw muscle, nothing complicated with fancy engine tricks, turbo's etc etc... it's just raw silly power and sound... chuffed with it now, but more power is needed next year, but that'll be super charger as unless you stroke these to 426's and cams, you're limited. a reprofiled cam alone can add 50bhp@wheels incredibly with original springs/lifters etc. generally if you bore them out to 7.1 litre (i.e. 426) then add cam and headers you're looking over 600bhp... and a fuel econmy around 8mpg lol.

Right now, this is as far is it'll go with standard tweaks etc. Yeah it does feel good, because to look at it, you'd neveer think it could do what it does and it's fail safe. Basically off the line in wet or dry, it'll be 4.5-4.8 tops... where'as controlling power in RWD or FWD cars is hit and miss and takes a some skill, this thing you just nail it, it lifts the bonnet up and throws itself down the line. Love it.

As for the cylinders no, thankfully it's 8 all the time and the reason I say thankfully is, all the recent post 2012 MDS enabled SRT's with the slightly bigger 6.4ltr all the lifters go, cams and rods... pretty much all fail and I believe as do otehrs it'linked to the deactivation of the cylinders... so, the 6.1ltr is where it's at. Also, it's the most robust engine for tuning... so, safe for 650bhp before you even have to think about transmission, diffs etc. which is nice to know. Its' getting 15.1mpg on small crappy runs, but bet I could be doing wayyy over 20 on a long run on a motorway I reckon, cruising at 80.

upY2pdr.jpg pNg8Bil.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well, finally received my nice new billet engine goodies from the states that I ordered 3 months ago lol

1 of : Billet Technology Oil Dip Stick[Finish/Color:polish-10]
1 of : Billet Technology Brake Fluid Cap[Finish/Color:polish-10][Engrave Option:Standard Engrave (as shown)][Brake Fluid Cap Size:2"][Designer Cut Engine Cap (Y/N):None][Year:2010]
1 of : Billet Technology Coolant Over Flow Cap[Finish/Color:polish-10][Engrave Choice-Under Hood:OEM Replica][Designer Cut Engine Cap (Y/N):None][Year-Coolant Cap:2008-2018]
1 of : Billet Technology Power Steering Cap (392 except Jeep, Neon SRT, 09-13 Ram, 6.1 SRT Jeep)[Finish/Color:polish-10][Power Steering Cap Engrave Choice:Standard Engrave (as shown)][Designer Cut Engine Cap
1 of : Billet Technology Washer Fluid Cap 2004-2021[Finish/Color:polish-10][Designer Cut Engine Cap (Y/N):None][Washer Cap Engrave Option::Standard Engrave (as shown)][Vehicle:Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8][Year-Washer Fluid Cap:2010]

So, from horrible yellow crap like this:

aiOy6Na.jpg

to...

AgZS0wT.jpg

TNLZ0yX.jpg

7aPXQXt.jpg

3zremG7.jpg

RDVXpMR.jpg

Soldato
OP
Looks great, it’s the little things that lift a project. Thank you for sharing your journey :D
Cheers mate, appreciated, glad you like it. He's in today... getting an exhaust mod... so, I think over the next couple of days, you guys deserve some footage and sounds... which I've promised but not delivered on... well that time has come...

Soldato
Cheers mate, appreciated, glad you like it. He's in today... getting an exhaust mod... so, I think over the next couple of days, you guys deserve some footage and sounds... which I've promised but not delivered on... well that time has come...
Can't wait!

Toying with the idea of being a bit mad and going for a 4.4 V8 X5.... Been offered a really nice 2002 model for a great price. Sensible head says no, money pit blah blah. But... V8 :p

Soldato
OP
Ok, video of the sound it produces now... not the best quality as was on a mates phone and also, the SRT8 has a rev limiter think it's to around 3,000rpm I think to protect the engine but this gives an indicator of the soudn this generates. Enjoy.

Soldato
Ok, video of the sound it produces now... not the best quality as was on a mates phone and also, the SRT8 has a rev limiter think it's to around 3,000rpm I think to protect the engine but this gives an indicator of the soudn this generates. Enjoy.

The rev limit was a European legislation for noise and pollution IIRC. Most new cars have it :(. Sounds tasty, looks good as well.

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys, yeah, can't wait to get some proper videos of it this weekend in good video quality and also better sound, possibly a off the line and driveby or something
The rev limit was a European legislation for noise and pollution IIRC. Most new cars have it :(. Sounds tasty, looks good as well.
That sounds beautiful!
Yeah sounds like a proper muscle car now, so will have some fun this weekend and try and get a few proper videos. be nice to get a couple of drivebys

Soldato
OP
Well, as yesterday was hot I noticed that the AC wasn't cold... so, popped into ATS today to get it regassed or at least vacuum checked... so, vacuum check passed, all good, however, they said laughing no wonder it wasn't working, instead of 500 (whatevers, sure they said grams, but whatever), I had 5 (whatevers) so basically empty. So they couldn't rule out a tiny leak, but they couldnt' see anything so filled to the brim and working like a wizard. Will keep an eye on it as they also said they put a UV liquid in as well so if it does leak I'd be able to see where. Fingers crossed, but reckon as I'd not seen any AC servicing, my assumption is, it was empty!

So, £60 quid with some bacterial something or other so, hopefully all will be good now for a couple of eyars!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So, last week me and my 12 year old after Jujitsu pulls up at lights. In rear view mirror MX5? I think comes up driving fast and slams on... all exhausts and bits done all the usual thing. Anyway, he's there reving with his girlfriend smiling as you do... ok... what we racing man? Really? I'm hoping he's gone turbo's or something... didn't look like it to me... however when they caught up at the end, both gave thumbs up and shouted awesome from their car... think they realised it wasn't any ordinary Jeep hahaha My little girl loved it and showed all her mates at school the next day.Now just need to wait for an M3 or something, give them a worry!

Just good fun, pity I didn't have the footage with the Audi from the other week.. it's been written over!

Soldato
OP
Well it was time for an oil change, so, jacked the beast up... christ could Jeep make it any more awkward to get at the damn oil filter... pipes and crap all around it. Anyway, once I'd done that, could I find a damn 13mm socket for the sump plug hahaha... nope... then when I got one... my torque wrench, couldn't find the adaptor so what should've been around a 30 minute job turned into 2 hours of messing around hahaha. However, all done and around 6.2ltr's of Mobil 1's finest now in and uprated Oil Filter this time around!

Couldn't do the rear bump stops as couldn't get the right angle to dig the knackered ones out, so threw dummy out the pram... and thought stuff it hahaha

So, this week need to work a way of getting at these bump stops out and replace... trying to do everything myself nowadays now I'm not contracting and save as much money as possible and stop being idle lol.

Soldato
OP
Well, decided to replace the bump stops on the SRT8 this weekend, only took an hour, but reckon these were the originals from 2010... blimey... bit of a pain in the arse though to get the old ones out without messing around taking suspension off, but got there in the end!

gYm1NZa.jpg

uQY0Tec.jpg

Any new ones installed... 1 hours work but worth it

r53qbd0.jpg

Soldato
Well, decided to replace the bump stops on the SRT8 this weekend, only took an hour, but reckon these were the originals from 2010... blimey... bit of a pain in the arse though to get the old ones out without messing around taking suspension off, but got there in the end!

gYm1NZa.jpg

uQY0Tec.jpg

Any new ones installed... 1 hours work but worth it

r53qbd0.jpg
Crumbley:eek:.

Back
Top Bottom