Jimmy Savile - Sexual Predator

Soldato
I've lost track of this conversation

Are you saying BBC are making money off a 23 year old documentary episode?
I'm not sure what you are referring to by 23 year old documentary?

I was talking about The Reckoning trailer posted earlier in the thread.

The commercial arm of the BBC (formally BBC Studios) sells programmes to other countries. That's how the BBC makes most of its money.

Associate
I don't see why not, they aren't going to glamorise it.

Don't you think it could be upseting to his victims?

Also are they going to show warnings that the BBC ignored? Is it going to bring to light all those that turned a blind eye? Will it show Saville using all kinds of threats to intimidate victims and their famalies. Show him in the depth of his abuse of children and vulnerable people? Because that is the reality of the man.

I think it's unlikely a drama can do justice to it and it almost certainly shouldn't be the BBC doing it unless they plan on being very damning of themselves.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If there is verifiable evidence, rather than hearsay, I'd be interested to read it.

Most of his abuse was carried out at hospitals (13!) and schools, rather than in BBC dressing rooms (though I am certain that did happen as well)

Soldato
If there is verifiable evidence, rather than hearsay, I'd be interested to read it.

Most of his abuse was carried out at hospitals (13!) and schools, rather than in BBC dressing rooms (though I am certain that did happen as well)
Though they are different cases and time eras, I imagine many people were doing the same with Savile at the BBC as channel 4 were doing with Brand at the time, excusing bawdy behaviour.

The morality line wasn't as defined as it is today with young people*. That's how people like Savile operated. People might have thought something was odd. But if they didn't know the age of the girl then it's a big accusation to accuse someone else of being a pedo. That is what these abusers rely on. The accusation being so big and the accuser not being 100% sure.

*It was around this time that pedos were in plain sight and campaigning to be a legitimate sexual orientation with the PIE organisation.

I stumbled on a video a few months back on youtube of a French journalist documenting that in France, and other european countries, similar organisations to PIE were trying to change laws.

Caporegime
I don't see why not, they aren't going to glamorise it.
It's an entertainment product tho, isn't it. By its very nature.

I don't think it's there to educate, so the question is, what is its purpose?

I'm not objecting to it per se, but it does seem gratuitous to make a drama from Saville's exploits.

Caporegime
Some reviews are out for 'The Reckoning'. Mixture of good and bad.

4/5 from The Times, Evening Standard, iNews and 'Dextero' (whoever they are)
3/5 from Radio Times and Yahoo News
2/5 from Telegraph and Daily Mail.

The worse reviews are predictably from newspapers that love to bash the BBC anyway saying that the BBC excuse themselves too much, a worry that some posters above had.

This article clarifies that BBC are airing it, but didn't make it.

Although it is airing on the BBC, The Reckoning has been produced by ITV Studios.That isn't unusual. However, in this case, it adds important and valuable distance, as the BBC is one step removed from the editorial process.

"I thought was important that they should have the editorial freedom to tell the story they wanted," says the BBC's chief content officer Charlotte Moore. "I said, 'There are no boundaries to where you should go, you need to tell that story'."

Back
Top Bottom