Job satisfaction

Associate
Do you think that job satisfaction is more important than money?
Why/why not?
You would rather work in a job which you love or in well-paid one which is stressful, you don't have much time but you are loaded?

Caporegime
to an extent yes

for me I want a certain level of income but beyond that the most important thing is doing something I'm interested in - I've had plenty of opportunities to double or triple my income which wouldn't interest me for various reasons due to the type of work, sort of people I'd be working with etc...

so yup, I'd rather work in a job I love (with the caveat that I'd want to at least earn X) - so long as I'm earning at least X then any new job offer had better be for something at least as interesting as moving for X + 20% to something less interesting isn't going to have much interest and even 2X in some cases wouldn't interest me... (obviously if you get to really ridiculous sums of money then I'd be interested again as I'd consider doing the less satisfying work for a short period of time and potentially being open to doing work paying even less than I'd usually want afterwards - or working part time and dedicating some time to a side project/new venture)

Soldato
I worked for G4S for a few months doing some contract work, it was terrible except for a decent day rate so I stuck it out while I found something else permanently, which I did a couple of years ago.

They've since approached my via their internal recruitment team, and then 2 recruitment consultants offering an interview for a similar role to that I'm in now, first a 10% increase on my current salary, then 20% and finally 30%. I turned them all down.

Don't get me wrong, at 30% it was a real dilemma, but at the level of seniority I am, you don't ever truly clock out so having a job you hate and causes you massive amounts of stress just isn't worth the impact on my overall happiness in life.

Soldato
I think there's a baseline you need to earn to be comfortable, and then beyond that it's not worth the stress.

4 years ago I was earning well into six figures putting up with an incredibly hostile, demanding and stressful job.

Now I'm taking home less than a third of that, but I have a sensible work life balance, I'm healthier, happier, and doing a job I really enjoy, making enough money to live comfortably in a nice home and have enough disposable income for holidays and the odd treat.

No brainer for me, would never go back to a stressful job for money. Life's too short.

Man of Honour
I generally pursue money over job satisfaction because I have the attitude that going to work isn’t supposed to be enjoyable. There are very few jobs I’d like to do. I’d clean toilets for a living if it paid enough.

It’s possible my attitude may change in future; I’ll frequently when travelling home think about how I don’t get enough time to do the things I want to do, but there are people in much worse positions than myself.

Associate
I'm somewhat but not completely satisfied with both.
I suspect that's as good as its going to get.

I'm working towards less stress rather than more.

I would accept more stress if I really needed the cash, but thankfully I don't.

Caporegime
I generally pursue money over job satisfaction because I have the attitude that going to work isn’t supposed to be enjoyable. There are very few jobs I’d like to do. I’d clean toilets for a living if it paid enough.

It’s possible my attitude may change in future; I’ll frequently when travelling home think about how I don’t get enough time to do the things I want to do, but there are people in much worse positions than myself.

That's the way I think of it as well, I'd likely have to change my career completely to find an enjoyable one but then I'd be paid far less for a number of years and there's no guarentee I'd enjoy it more, grass is always greener and that. I find happiness or at least having a stress free environment is largely down to the managers within a business and the working environment. I've done the same role in multiple companies and it's varied massively between the 3.

Soldato
lol I currently hate my job with a passion, but it allows me the time to do my own stuff, so I don't have any job satisfaction. The only reason I do it is for the money. It's really very good, so you know, I sold my soul, but equally with a bit of plan to try and change that too.

Soldato
Yes...without a doubt. As I have posted in other threads I have fallen out with love with my Sales Role and applying to be a police office.

Since April this year my payslip is showing a wage of £27,500 ish...I work around 4 - 5 hours per day, get fully expensed company care and a few other benefits.

Moving to the police I will be working shifts, going down to around £19,500 initially and the potential to work Bank Holidays & Christmas!

Money isn't everything although it does help! I am anxious about the wage drop but it does excite me about the varied role of a police officer. Appreciate there will be plenty of crap to go with it but both parents have had successful careers so going in with my eyes wide open.

Your working career is a long time...and it is also a long time to be unhappy!

Soldato

Same.

Short of being a test driver at Lamborghini or sun screen applicator for the female Swedish volleyball team, then I can't imagine any job being enjoyable.

Soldato
Balance.

It depends what your priorities are. For me, I value my spare time, so working as close to home or at home for something that covers my financial needs plus some savings takes priority over a high paying job with long hours plus a longer commute.

I could more than double my salary tomorrow but i'd be swapping a relaxing 9-5 with lots of flexibility and almost zero commute for a working day of 8-5 plus 1.5 - 3 hours daily travel depending on the tube in horrible conditions. Easy choice for me tbh.

Caporegime
I work in an academic library and I love it. Not the best paid job in the world but I wouldn't change it. What other job lets you have a coffee and a read of a book to start a Monday morning?

I'd say most of the academics who work within your university get to do that if they want, providing they don't have an 8am lecture or something

Man of Honour
Work to live, don't live to work.

I work in an academic library and I love it. Not the best paid job in the world but I wouldn't change it. What other job lets you have a coffee and a read of a book to start a Monday morning?
Slackerdemics, more like :p

It’s pretty rare to get a perfect balance. Most people compromise on something. If I worked for less money, I wouldn’t be able to get up to as many fun ‘costly’ things in my free time, which would probably frustrate me having now got used to that lifestyle. There’s probably a lot to be said for an average salary and average working hours.

Caporegime
Depends. It doesn't matter how fulfilling your job is if you can't pay the bills or achieve any of your wider goals due to lack of funds. Similarly a job can pay you a fortune but occupy your entire life and drive you into a deep depression. There's a balance to be struck.

Associate
The older I get, the more I realise being happy is much more important than being loaded. If you can be happy with less, then all the better!

However, there is that balance others have mentioned that needs to be struck. Being poor can make you unhappy and depressed - not being able to afford a roof over your head, clothes on your back, or food on the table. But I think there can come a time when you realise you've proceeded past the point where you were happy and comfortable, but now you're working in a job you hate simply so you can 'keep up with the Jones'', but doing so isn't actually making you happy. It's an easy trap to fall into. But everyone's needs/wants are different.

I've recently accepted a new job in the quest to be happier. It's less money, but it's workable if we tighten our belts.

Last edited:
Soldato
I want a combination of both.

I've been offered roles where I would've had a tidy salary increase, share options, etc etc, but none of it really spun my wheels. I'm in a good place right now so looking after this one for the foreseeable future. In the office by 9am, home by 3pm. It won't last but enjoying it at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom