Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

You might as well blame Islam worldwide for its attitudes both to LBGTetc and it's attitude to human rights and 'lesser' religions. No Muslim country that I'm aware of condones gay sex under its laws. As for construction deaths the third world is renowned for them. I have seen all the facts, the memes, the Hong Kong bamboo scaffolding still being used today etc. There is a lot of western righteousness and any similar country would have equally struggled. How many died so that China could host it's Olympic games?

Reactions: B&W
Fifa are ultimately to blame for all of this.

With regards to the human rights stuff I think different countries are at different stages of civilisation and its a bit much for west to force countries to fall in line if they haven't worked it out for themselves yet.

It wasn't that long ago we didn't allow gay people in the military etc.

This pretty much sums it up. a lot of people find it hard to believe that every world cup isn't taking part in Europe. They will also find it hard to believe that not everyone can fly around the world so taking the tournament to them is key, wherever they may be and whatever the government may he doing.
What absolute nonsense. People didn’t complain when the World Cup was hosted in Africa, South America or Asia. Only when it’s hosted in a backwards, corrupt country that uses slave labour and treats women and minorities as second class citizens.

Wow,

Who is the narrow minded bigot now ? It is an Islamic country its not the same rules, so stop trying to apply our western values on it.

The only mistake in hosting in their are the bribes and the use of cheap immigrant labour, everything else has nothing to do with it, its a football game.

What absolute nonsense. People didn’t complain when the World Cup was hosted in Africa, South America or Asia. Only when it’s hosted in a backwards, corrupt country that uses slave labour and treats women and minorities as second class citizens.

Its partly that and partly that the West has very much turned into a bunch of hand wringing virtue signallers over the past 4-5 years. Sponsors are still there, fans are still there, all the teams are still there, the players are still there, we are still watching and FIFA are still making billions from it. We are however making ourselves feel better about all of this by giving Qatar a stern telling off.

Its modern day slacktivism at its best. Professing to be deeply appalled but not quite enough to do anything about it that might impact our own lives or enjoyment. I'm no better. I am watching it.

exactly my point . It’s the we are right they are wrong mentality. Where do we draw the line?

The runners up were
Australia - aboriginals and offshore refugees
USA -illegal wars, death penalty questionable labour laws. Children were found enslvaed in a factory there a few weeks ago!
South Korea- hilariously corrupt,
Japan - more corruption, death penalty.

It’s the we know what’s best for Qatari women, not Qatari women. Look at what’s going on in Iran right now, they know what’s best for them and Qataris know what’s best for them.

And above all this, what does it have to do with the players and fans, it’s a football tournament that take places around the world for people of that region to enjoy.

Its partly that and partly that the West has very much turned into a bunch of hand wringing virtue signallers over the past 4-5 years. Sponsors are still there, fans are still there, all the teams are still there, the players are still there, we are still watching and FIFA are still making billions from it. We are however making ourselves feel better about all of this by giving Qatar a stern telling off.

Its modern day slacktivism at its best. Professing to be deeply appalled but not quite enough to do anything about it that might impact our own lives or enjoyment. I'm no better. I am watching it.
Just look at the sponsors of FIFA, they are all happy to sell Coca Cola, cars etc etc to these “bad countries” why don’t they stop like they did with Russia?

Just look at the sponsors of FIFA, they are all happy to sell Coca Cola, cars etc etc to these “bad countries” why don’t they stop like they did with Russia?
Because business have one master and that is their shareholders and as a result, profits. Doing business in Russia became an absolutely appalling PR move for these companies so they pulled out. All these monstrous corporations that tell you "black lives matter" etc are all utterly abhorrent in their business practices.Christ, I would wager that some of the massive ones are responsible for tens of thousands of deaths a year, probably hundreds indirectly.

Its all politics. America are the "good guys" and have been using their wealth and power to run the world as they see fit for decades. They just aren't stupid about it. They use soft power and operate in the shadows.

we are still watching
I’m not. Normally I love the World Cup, but I can’t watch this one in good conscience. What else can I realistically do other than not add my eyeballs to the viewing figures. I’m not supporting a World Cup in a country where my relationship/existence would be illegal.

Because business have one master and that is their shareholders and as a result, profits. Doing business in Russia became an absolutely appalling PR move for these companies so they pulled out. All these monstrous corporations that tell you "black lives matter" etc are all utterly abhorrent in their business practices.Christ, I would wager that some of the massive ones are responsible for tens of thousands of deaths a year, probably hundreds indirectly.

Its all politics. America are the "good guys" and have been using their wealth and power to run the world as they see fit for decades. They just aren't stupid about it. They use soft power and operate in the shadows.
Soft power like they did in Afghanistan…Iraq, Vietnam etc

I’m not. Normally I love the World Cup, but I can’t watch this one in good conscience. What else can I realistically do other than not add my eyeballs to the viewing figures. I’m not supporting a World Cup in a country where my relationship/existence would be illegal.
I’ve thought about this one, I Dont know any gay people so I will ask you.

Would you discount an entire nation if the vast majority (90%+) of them didn’t “agree” (I have no idea how else to say it) with LGBT?

I admire you for doing that. Most of us are not. I will be interested to see how the viewing figures stack up vs previous world cups once this is all said and done.

Fundamentally all the big issues in the world at the moment need government interventions. It needs companies to actually take a stand. For far too long there has been a push to place responsibility onto the individual. Recycling, energy, the environment, your carbon footprint. Most people are struggling to make ends meet while companies post insane profits.

If all the sponsors pulled out, this WC wouldn't have happened. If the teams refused to play it wouldn't have happened. If FIFA cared it would have been stripped from Qatar. A few hundred thousand or a million people not watching won't change it.

The runners up were
Australia - aboriginals and offshore refugees
USA -illegal wars, death penalty questionable labour laws. Children were found enslvaed in a factory there a few weeks ago!
South Korea- hilariously corrupt,
Japan - more corruption, death penalty.

Japan is the least bad option among those lot. Show me a country that doesn't have corruption. In fact Japan would have been kinda awesome.

I’ve thought about this one, I Dont know any gay people so I will ask you.

Would you discount an entire nation if the vast majority (90%+) of them didn’t “agree” (I have no idea how else to say it) with LGBT?
I wouldn't 'discount' them, I'm happy for Qatar to exist and have whatever laws their population wants (although obviously, I'm never going to visit). It's not for me, as a westerner, to tell other countries how to live. What I disagree with though, is a country that has laws that are out of step with most other countries hosting arguably worlds biggest sporting event.

I wouldn't 'discount' them, I'm happy for Qatar to exist and have whatever laws their population wants (although obviously, I'm never going to visit). It's not for me, as a westerner, to tell other countries how to live. What I disagree with though, is a country that has laws that are out of step with most other countries hosting arguably worlds biggest sporting event.
Well this is the problem, it’s a global football tournament and it will never be global if it’s limited only to countries with certain lgbt laws.

I admire you for doing that. Most of us are not. I will be interested to see how the viewing figures stack up vs previous world cups once this is all said and done.

Fundamentally all the big issues in the world at the moment need government interventions. It needs companies to actually take a stand. For far too long there has been a push to place responsibility onto the individual. Recycling, energy, the environment, your carbon footprint. Most people are struggling to make ends meet while companies post insane profits.

If all the sponsors pulled out, this WC wouldn't have happened. If the teams refused to play it wouldn't have happened. If FIFA cared it would have been stripped from Qatar. A few hundred thousand or a million people not watching won't change it.

Then again if religions particularly Islam got with the 20th century let alone the 21st, fewer states would have issue with openly gay relationships. Fewer countries would be held back in a theocratic dictatorship.
You deal with the whole world as it is or change it forcibly.

Then again if religions particularly Islam got with the 20th century let alone the 21st, fewer states would have issue with openly gay relationships. Fewer countries would be held back in a theocratic dictatorship.
You deal with the whole world as it is or change it forcibly.
Well this is yet more we are right they are wrong. You are suggesting that there is a problem with them living in a dictatorship? You realise these countries are tribal and that’s how their society works. You can’t force them to change that because they Dont want it. Look at what happened when they were forced to abandon their political system through violence. The second the violence went away they went right back to what they want.

One quick look at Iran and they Dont want it, it’s hard for us to understand but maybe other countries want their system of governance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom