Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

Well this is yet more we are right they are wrong. You are suggesting that there is a problem with them living in a dictatorship? You realise these countries are tribal and that’s how their society works. You can’t force them to change that because they Dont want it. Look at what happened when they were forced to abandon their political system through violence. The second the violence went away they went right back to what they want.

One quick look at Iran and they Dont want it, it’s hard for us to understand but maybe other countries want their system of governance.

What I am saying is that you can blame FIFA, looking for global hosts in all sorts of countries maybe. IF they are going to choose a theocracy or theocratic monarchy next time they will be in the same problem. Perhaps they should just stick to western democracies to avoid the health and safety issues and illiberal lawmaking. :)

Then again if religions particularly Islam got with the 20th century let alone the 21st, fewer states would have issue with openly gay relationships. Fewer countries would be held back in a theocratic dictatorship.
You deal with the whole world as it is or change it forcibly.

Or maybe there would just be religious conflicts and massive amounts of death. Its not as simple as the religions of the world deciding "gay is OK" and everyone suddenly changing their minds. If you have a very extreme and strict religion with hundreds of millions of followers and you have deeply entrenched their belief system, trying to change that massively in a short time period would end horribly.

What I am saying is that you can blame FIFA, looking for global hosts in all sorts of countries maybe. IF they are going to choose a theocracy or theocratic monarchy next time they will be in the same problem. Perhaps they should just stick to western democracies to avoid the health and safety issues and illiberal lawmaking. :)
I thought we already said that western democracies also have their own problems?

Doesn’t it then became more of a western democracies cup rather than a World Cup?

I’m pretty sure you won’t see health and safety issues like this in Qatar.

Last edited:
Or maybe there would just be religious conflicts and massive amounts of death. It’s not as simple as the religions of the world deciding "gay is OK" and everyone suddenly changing their minds. If you have a very extreme and strict religion with hundreds of millions of followers and you have deeply entrenched their belief system, trying to change that massively in a short time period would end horribly.
Yes but why would anyone try to even change it apart from imperialism.

I thought we already said that western democracies also have their own problems?

Doesn’t it then became more of a western democracies cup rather than a World Cup?

I’m pretty sure you won’t see health and safety issues like this in Qatar.

I was referring to the alleged stadium and venue construction death toll rather than a brawl in a park.

As to your second point, yes it does. I am not suggesting it but it would reduce virtue signalling somewhat.

Its bizarre isnt it. The idea of trying to change a country's religious views (which is a human right) is seemingly ok but anything said about being gay (which is also a human right) is abhorrent. You cant trump one human right with another no matter what you think of their opinions

I also don't see many people kicking off about Formula 1 in Abu Dhabi on a track likely built by slave labour and following countless deaths.

People are so preachy when it suits them.
Some of us F1 fans know what it costs and dont like that race let alone the track.
But, the FIA is run on dirty money which is why they race there, nothing the fans can do about it, especially when a large number of brits fly out to AD each year for it.

Because it fundamentally is the right thing to do. I don't personally think certain things are a matter of opinion. When there is so much wealth in the world people shouldn't be hungry and lacking shelter, people should be free to love who they want.

Religions are free to rail against whatever they like but they fundamentally won't stop the reality that gay people exist. Eventually every religion will accept that and embrace it but its going to take decades.

Because it fundamentally is the right thing to do. I don't personally think certain things are a matter of opinion. When there is so much wealth in the world people shouldn't be hungry and lacking shelter, people should be free to love who they want.

Religions are free to rail against whatever they like but they fundamentally won't stop the reality that gay people exist. Eventually every religion will accept that and embrace it but its going to take decades.

Its not fundamentally the right thing to do, its only your opinion about what is the right thing to do.

You cant trump one human right with another no matter what you think of their opinions
Of course you can, if a religion gains enough traction to be considered a real religion, and part of it's doctrine is that murdering a person for any reason is fine, that does not cancel out the human right of not being murdered.

It's more about which rules directly impact people in ways that are hugely differing to most other religions. Kosher/Halal are good example of this, as they generally don't infringe the rights of other people, however animal rights activists will still have a go.

Its not fundamentally the right thing to do, its only your opinion about what is the right thing to do.

Explain why someone shouldn't be able to freely express their love for someone else regardless of race, gender or religion without using the fact that some people don't like it as a reason. Explain why it might being bad intrinsically.

There are some things which don't have any basis in logic or sensible thinking and this is one of them.

I’ve thought about this one, I Dont know any gay people so I will ask you.

Would you discount an entire nation if the vast majority (90%+) of them didn’t “agree” (I have no idea how else to say it) with LGBT?

It isnt the people it is the government that is the issue. Same as Israel. What a stupid argument.

Also in other news. Love seeing the unusual suspects supporting muslim views over LGBT. Priceless.

I bet a certain person is well happy they are banning rainbows.

Last edited:
It isnt the people it is the government that is the issue. Same as Israel. What a stupid argument.

Also in other news. Love seeing the unusual suspects supporting muslim views over LGBT. Priceless.
But in my example, the people are 90% behind the government on this issue. It's not even a muslim view.

The Kenyan PM sums it up, in a Democratic country.

But in my example, the people are 90% behind the government on this issue. It's not even a muslim view.

The Kenyan PM sums it up, in a Democratic country.

Do you think gay sex is wrong?

Back
Top Bottom