Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

Are you aware of what his role is in the tournament? Are you aware of his historical links with the gay rights movement?

Do you have a point to make? If so why not make it?

Just to reiterate, as I thought the point I was making was obvious from the post I just wrote:

Are you aware the BBC is there? Are you aware Alex Scott is there? Are you aware a whole load of broadcasters, brands and companies who promote LGBT stuff during pride month are also there?

Are you aware the England team is there? Are you aware that they promote LGBT rights?

Why is Beckham singled out?

Can't stand Joe Lycett, the guy seems to jump on pretty much every single bad thing with minimal impact or benefit to anything just to show his face. Surely everyone agrees the corrupt football world is bad.

Why is Beckham singled out?
erm is it because hes the Ambassador for Qatar ? It's not like he's just there to support England.

Beckham said: "Qatar dreamed of bringing the World Cup to a place that it had never been before, but that it wouldn't be enough just to achieve things on the pitch. The pitch would be a platform for progress."

He added: "Dreams can come true. That is why you are here. You share Generation Amazing's twin passions for the game of football and for making the world a more tolerant and inclusive place."

Meanwhile in Qatar lol....

Last edited:
erm is it because hes the Ambassador for Qatar ? It's not like he's just there to support England.

Why is that significant? He's not the only "Ambassador" and if this world cup is so heinous because of the LGBT stuff why is it OK for others to profit for it while also purportedly being LBGT rights advocates too?

It seems like he's being scapegoated here, there are loads of people and companies getting on this World Cup gravy train and earning $$$$, he didn't get to pick the venue, that's FIFA's fault.

150 million is a lot of money, even for Beckham, it's pretty easy for Joe to criticise but he's not going to jeopardize his future income or career over it either yet he expects Beckham to take a huge financial hit.

Why is that significant? He's not the only "Ambassador" and if this world cup is so heinous because of the LGBT stuff why is it OK for others to profit for it while also purportedly being LBGT rights advocates too?

It seems like he's being scapegoated here, there are loads of people and companies getting on this World Cup gravy train and earning $$$$, he didn't get to pick the venue, that's FIFA's fault.

150 million is a lot of money, even for Beckham, it's pretty easy for Joe to criticise but he's not going to jeopardize his future income or career over it either yet he expects Beckham to take a huge financial hit.
You can either try to catch one big fish or many smaller fishes. Nobody cares if you catch an average sized fish.

are you for real? one of the most evil regimes in the world, but it's okay because beckham is doing it for the monies.

He'd have been Ambassador to hitler for the money as well no doubt

Good ol nazi comparisons when the thought process runs out steam.

Beckham is following the lead of large sporting organisations, media organisations and indeed our government.

Come to that, A huge amount of the british public. They may not actually support Qatar but they are apathetic to the goings on of a dodgy middle eastern country.

Good ol nazi comparisons when the thought process runs out steam.

Beckham is following the lead of large sporting organisations, media organisations and indeed our government.

Come to that, A huge amount of the british public. They may not actually support Qatar but they are apathetic to the goings on of a dodgy middle eastern country.

Didn't Nazi Germany host the 1936 Olympics?

I feel like Nazi comparisons might sometimes be valid :p

Last edited:
are you for real? one of the most evil regimes in the world, but it's okay because beckham is doing it for the monies.

lmao calling Qatar one of the most evil regimes in the world. what crack are you smoking.

That still doesn't address the point - in fact, if this regime is literally Hitler then even more so - will Joe refuse to work for the collaborator organisation the BBC going forwards?

Last edited:
This question is absurd, there's literally no reason for Lycett to do that - especially when the BBC is helping to highlight the issues.

Yet, they're still participating in it... I mean I'm sure Beckham will no doubt speak out in favour of LGBT rights too at some point.

Completely flawed argument; the BBC aren't promoting Qatar, Beckham is. There's no comparison to be made.

There is and I just made one:
Yet, they're still participating in it...

That is just fact, that isn't flawed, if it was so heinous then boycott it, instead, there are multiple BBC employees flying over there to report on it, they absolutely are promoting their coverage of the event too, just as Beckham is promoting the event.

You're trying to defend the indefensible here, that Beckham should be some target for criticism and no one else, he's clearly being made into a scapegoat and there are many many other people and organisations participating in this world cup while also purportedly supporting LGBT rights.

Last edited:
There is and I just made one:

That is just fact, that isn't flawed, if it was so heinous then boycott it, instead, there are multiple BBC employees flying over there to report on it, they absolutely are promoting their coverage of the event too, just as Beckham is promoting the event.

You're trying to defend the indefensible here, that Beckham should be some target for criticism and no one else, he's clearly being made into a scapegoat and there are many many other people and organisations participating in this world cup while also purportedly supporting LGBT rights.
Babes, I'm an open minded person, but if there's one hole I won't do it's a Dowiehole.

We're done here. ;)

Back
Top Bottom