Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

I fail to understand what this has to do with Qatar hosting the World Cup though? I'd still rather live in the UK than some Conservative Islamic clown show rife with corruption, sexism and Nepotism in every part of society. They'll never be in a good state because their foundations are horrible, take away the oil and they'd literally have nothing, something which will be a reality in the coming decades.
Well we ended up on this because the UK has become a bit of a joke within europe (I think the term is sick man of europe) and no one points the finger, yet British people and media are all too quck to point at everyone elses problems instead of looking at their own first. It's just the culture of a colonial mindset like I said earlier.

Well we ended up on this because the UK has become a bit of a joke within europe (I think the term is sick man of europe) and no one points the finger, yet British people and media are all too quck to point at everyone elses problems instead of looking at their own first. It's just the culture of a colonial mindset like I said earlier.

Could you explain exactly what a "Colonial mindset" means? I see a lot of that thrown around by Muslims online when criticism is leveled their way from British people, to me it seems like you have chips on your shoulders. It seems like historically the UK and Qatar have had good mutual relationships, with Qatar trading the UK oil while the UK protected Qatar, what sort of Colonialism are you referring to in relation to Qatar?

Could you explain exactly what a "Colonial mindset" means? I see a lot of that thrown around by Muslims online when criticism is leveled their way from British people, to me it seems like you have chips on your shoulders. It seems like historically the UK and Qatar have had good mutual relationships, with Qatar trading the UK oil while the UK protected Qatar, what sort of Colonialism are you referring to in relation to Qatar?
This is exactly it, "criticism from British people".

When was the last time you heard other countries criticise British society and rubbish it? There's lots of material but they don't as its not in their cultures or mindsets.
They are able to accept the basic premise that the world is a diverse place with billions of people that will never agree on everything.
It's not even Muslim countries that have been subjected to it, we had sinophobia, various african countries, I am sure there's plenty more.

Last edited:
Reactions: B&W
Pyongyang is very much a special case, the peoples basic needs arent even met. China is probably a better example, look at what happened there recently.
Pretty sure Qatar is a special case as well, with 3rd largest natural gas reserves in the world, for a population of 313,000 citizens.

When you exclude expats from the population they have a GDP per citizen of $700k.
Or 700k per 1 citizen and 7.35 imported hired hands.

Qatar isn't in poverty due to lucky geology, not it's system of government.

This is exactly it, "criticism from British people".

When was the last time you heard other countries criticise British society and rubbish it? There's lots of material but they don't as its not in their cultures or mindsets.
They are able to accept the basic premise that the world is a diverse place with billions of people that will never agree on everything.
It's not even Muslim countries that have been subjected to it, we had sinophobia, various african countries, I am sure there's plenty more.

I don't accept the denial of basic human rights and treating people as second class citizens based on their sexuality or gender as a cultural difference that we should respect.

Pretty sure Qatar is a special case as well, with 3rd largest natural gas reserves in the world, for a population of 313,000 citizens.

When you exclude expats from the population they have a GDP per citizen of $700k.
Or 700k per 1 citizen and 7.35 imported hired hands.

Qatar isn't in poverty due to lucky geology, not it's system of government.
What makes you think that it would be poor without oil?

It was a poor country before it got oil and gas.

There aren't any rich contries in the region that don't have oil and gas.

What makes you think it wouldn't be?

I am guessing if you look at Dubai that doesn't have much oil seems to be doing well.
It has a good location sitting inbetween 3 continents (which they already exploit with Qatar airways) , and its in the middle of 2 large countries.

It's not in the middle of a busy shipping lane like singapore though, so that doesn't go in its favour.

Too many what ifs in this question.

Last edited:
I am guessing if you look at Dubai that doesn't have much oil seems to be doing well.
It has a good location sitting inbetween 3 continents (which they already exploit with Qatar airways) , and its in the middle of 2 large countries.

It's not in the middle of a busy shipping lane like singapore though, so that doesn't go in its favour.

Dubai might not have much oil in comparison with some of its neighbours, but it's wealth is still built up from the oil industry in the region, benefiting being a part of the UAE.

Bahrain would also be similar, but not nearly as wealthy, and as such they were part of the Arab Spring uprising. Not that I think they were fighting for gay rights, but they weren't 100% happy with their rulers. :D
If they had the same per capita income as Qator they probably wouldn't have been part of that event.

All the significant wealthy countries in the middle east owe that wealth from the oil industry, either directly from their reserves or indirectly from oil money in the region.
The one excerption to that would be Israel, but they are a special case as the USA have helped their economy greatly.

We are deviating from the primary question though. Their wealth isn't due to the type of government, they would be wealthy in almost any political system due to their natural resources.

Dubai is a city in a country called the United Arab Emirates. In 2009 85% of it's economy was based on oil.

Last edited:
Dubai might not have much oil in comparison with some of its neighbours, but it's wealth is still built up from the oil industry in the region, benefiting being a part of the UAE.

Bahrain would also be similar, but not nearly as wealthy, and as such they were part of the Arab Spring uprising. Not that I think they were fighting for gay rights, but they weren't 100% happy with their rulers. :D
If they had the same per capita income as Qator they probably wouldn't have been part of that event.

All the significant wealthy countries in the middle east owe that wealth from the oil industry, either directly from their reserves or indirectly from oil money in the region.
The one excerption to that would be Israel, but they are a special case as the USA have helped their economy greatly.

We are deviating from the primary question though. Their wealth isn't due to the type of government, they would be wealthy in almost any political system due to their natural resources.
Hugo Chavez has entered the chat.

Back
Top Bottom