Joker (2019)

Soldato
Apparently this is predicted to make almost as much profit as Endgame did if not more. Given endgame took something like $2.8 billion at the worldwide box office how much do they spend on other things for a film like that?

Joker cost $55m to make and Endgame $356m.

It's estimated they spent about $100-$150m on marketing/promo for Joker.
And a quick Google tells me Marvel spent $200m on marketing Endgame. Seems a bit low if I'm honest.

https://deadline.com/2019/10/joker-profit-global-box-office-avengers-1202767490/

There's not much luck trying to make sense of Hollywood accounting. It's all spin and hyperbole. The term 'Hollywood accounting' is used for a reason, too :p

Soldato
I don't think it's ever going to make more money than Endgame, however it will be a far more profitable movie. It's due to overtake both Deadpool 1 and 2 within the next few weeks on takings.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Saw this last night at the local Odeon, £5 a ticket, can't sniff at that lol.

Still thinking about it today. What an amazing film. He's outdone Heath Ledger in every respect. The visceral awe of this movie is epic. Lives up to its R rating and certainly the bar all other R rated flicks should be aiming for now as I can see this film being the benchmark for not only cinematic and sound, but direction, acting, writing. The Dark Knight was previously my number one film that covered all of these aspects.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Watched it last week. Thought it was... fine?

Saw one reviewer tagline state 'a movie completely unworthy of it's score' and I thought that was about right.

Wasn't that I didn't like it, more that after all the uproar and fan fair I expected a lot more. Just felt really flaccid to me. All the themes about mental health and power struggles within the class system felt so half baked and on the nose. I don't think it had anything interesting or even slightly incisive to say about any of it. I just kept thinking 'yeah... and what?'. Hell I even thought it was one of Phoenix's weaker performances.

Third act was pretty great though and as I said the score is ABSOUTELY the best thing about the whole movie imo.

This very much mirrors my views. I’m frankly baffled at how people are finding the plot and progression of the film anything but shallow and slow. It was hitting you with the same thing time after time building up to his snap and only when that happened did the film have any real energy. It wasn’t subtle, it wasn’t clever and I found the whole thing really dull.

Thought JP was very good but that was not enough to turn 10 minutes of “good film” into anything but average overall.

Soldato
I saw it a while ago and it's one of the few movies that plays on your mind leaving a lasting impression the way those classic 70s and 80s thrillers managed to.

I don't think I enjoyed it at all, it made me feel a bit uncomfortable and I'm still remembering large swathes of it in a way most movies become a blur of forgettable a few weeks on after the first watch through.

For that reason, it is an outstanding movie and a superb performance by Phoenix.

Soldato
The Shining .. can't see it mentioned in the thread ... but, lacked originality and became pedestrian -
so many parallels with The Shining - plagiarized imagery, hallucinations, also with other movies TaxiDriver/Falling-down, it didn't manage create a unique footprint like those;
the commentary on modern reality tv shows gendre (jeremy kyle etc) relevant.

Soldato
Do you have a cinema pass ... or is it your own money - they must change perspective wrt 2nd visits, a close cinema too.

Soldato
Watched this lastnight, thought it was absolutely brilliant

That said, can someone explain the ending?

Two schools of thought...

What you saw was all real or it was Joker recounting yet another story while locked up in Arkham and playing games with his therapist. The director has indirectly said what you see is genuine and more directly has said all these theories with the clocks saying the same time in multiple scenes mean nothing, just a coincidence

Back
Top Bottom