Joker (2019)

Soldato
Can't stand the general churn out of comic book films, gave up a while back now, but this could be good.
The tell at this point would be whether it's a 18/R or they're going to pussy out to 15 for the money.

Soldato
Can't stand the general churn out of comic book films, gave up a while back now, but this could be good.
The tell at this point would be whether it's a 18/R or they're going to pussy out to 15 for the money.
It doesn't need to be an 18. Deadpool was only a 15, Logan was a 15. Phoenix's last movie, You Were Never Really Here, was plenty violent and that was only a 15.

You can get a lot of violence and swearing through in a 15 rating.

Soldato
It doesn't need to be an 18. Deadpool was only a 15, Logan was a 15. Phoenix's last movie, You Were Never Really Here, was plenty violent and that was only a 15.

You can get a lot of violence and swearing through in a 15 rating.

They weren't dark films at all, where as this should be, it should be messed up.

Soldato
Hmm.. is it just me or are they trying to make him out to be some kind of Anti-Hero, you end up seeing things from his point of view and routing for him...

Not sure that's a good idea.

I got that from the trailer too - I hope it’s not like that and I hope he’s a complete psychopath :p

Still definitely intrigued though - looking forward to seeing what he can do for this interesting character :)

Trailer didn’t sell it very well though

Soldato
I can't see the anti-hero idea being a thing at all.

Like batman, his driving force is the feeling of weakness: BM when his parents are killed but he's only a kid, so he makes himself strong and cleans up criminals. Joker is weak as an adult, though, and his beef is with ordinary people because they show him little respect or sympathy. We might feel sorry for the treatment he faces, might wish for him to get some form of revenge, but we won't empathise with how far, and where, he takes it. Joker can't make himself strong physically, doesn't have wealth, doesn't have interpersonal skills, so finds his strength in causing fear and repulsion: he weaponises the only emotions that people have previously shown toward him when he was just an ordinary weirdo.

Just what I'm getting from the trailer. I don't read comics.

Don
Aside from some cringeworthy scenes I liked Letos Joker. Shame SS was so badly received.
I thought he was great in it and would have loved to have seen him in a follow up film, not sure if he’s signed up to SS2 though.

I’m not sure how I feel about this version, I fully expect Phoenix to be good in it, playing a character probably similar to You Were Never Really There. But as a Joker origin film i’ll wait and see.

Soldato
"Cinematic achievement on a high level" says the artistic director of the Toronto International film festival, who's planted the film as a Gala presentation at the festival.
https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/08/05/joker-tiff-gritty-scorsese-cinematic-achievement-on-high-level/

“It’s set in the late ’70s, early ’80s and it feels like it was made then. It’s gritty in its look,” Bailey said. “It has references to Martin Scorsese’s filmmaking and it feels like a cinematic achievement on a high level. Although it’s working with very populist material, it has great ambition."

Soldato
"Cinematic achievement on a high level" says the artistic director of the Toronto International film festival, who's planted the film as a Gala presentation at the festival.
https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/08/05/joker-tiff-gritty-scorsese-cinematic-achievement-on-high-level/

“It’s set in the late ’70s, early ’80s and it feels like it was made then. It’s gritty in its look,” Bailey said. “It has references to Martin Scorsese’s filmmaking and it feels like a cinematic achievement on a high level. Although it’s working with very populist material, it has great ambition."

Such good news, been really looking forward to this.

However i've already seen polarised views with friends before it's even out. The comic book lot have dismissed it as looking boring and the serious film lot has dismissed it as another comic book film. I think it's going to be very divisive.

Back
Top Bottom