Jury Service (Do NOT turn this into a 'how to get out of jury service' thread)

Soldato
I did jury service - I can't remember the exact dates but was either earlier this year or back end of last year. There was the cheapest nasty tea and "coffee" provided - Not even a packet of biscuits!

In the end most people took their own stuff as it was that rank - Barely qualified as tea or coffee. One day we had one flask of boiled water to last us the entire day. Bear in mind it isn't just the Jury because up until the point it is selected you have 30+ people from the pool all sharing.

I was amazed at how run down the court was. The historic parts of the building were lovely, but the "behind the scenes" rooms were all reminiscent of the 1980's / 90's as far as facilities and decor go.

The first week I got to go home at lunch time most days as wasn't selected. You spend most of the time sitting in a room waiting - I think the latest I got sent home was 3pm. It was very boring.

Week 2 I did get selected. Trial had to restart on day 2 with a new Jury as it turned out one member knew a key witness, but it only became known after the initial evidence, so the first day got wasted. I was re-selected, which I wasn't overly happy about as it was a case involving "kids"..... Yuk.

Ultimately the experience felt very much like a "duty" to serve and I would do it again if called, but it isn't something I would say is enjoyable. I did get to be foreman though, which was kinda cool.

Soldato
I was amazed at how run down the court was. The historic parts of the building were lovely, but the "behind the scenes" rooms were all reminiscent of the 1980's / 90's as far as facilities and decor go.
This is my expectation tbh!
The first week I got to go home at lunch time most days as wasn't selected. You spend most of the time sitting in a room waiting - I think the latest I got sent home was 3pm. It was very boring.
I think the work documents that my HR provided said I need to come to work if I'm not needed in the afternoon :confused: Did you do that? Sounds like it's never quite the in-court-from-9-5-solid as I sort first thought when I got the summons.

Soldato
I think the work documents that my HR provided said I need to come to work if I'm not needed in the afternoon :confused: Did you do that? Sounds like it's never quite the in-court-from-9-5-solid as I sort first thought when I got the summons.
A senior director I work with was summoned recently and acted like he was jesus coming in for the 2nd half of the day when not needed in the afternoon. Good to know he may have been mandated by HR, lols.

Soldato
My Dad passed away in 2021 aged 83 and my Mum is currently 78, neither were called for jury duty.
Yeah I have older family who haven't either - it's supposedly random after all. I thought it was a good life experience and in all honestly, it made me a bit annoyed about how useless the CPS can be.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is my expectation tbh!

How would HR even know. Free day off TBH :D

Soldato
How would HR even know. Free day off TBH :D
Interestingly enough my company policy also says this;
You will normally be required to submit claims for loss of earnings to the court/tribunal and provide evidence of this to the company. Any money received from the court/tribunal will be deducted from your salary
Now, I presume this doesn't mean subsistence or travel claims right? It says loss of earnings for which I'm not going to claim -- as the company continues to pay me.

Soldato
Well that was a disappointment. Finished my two weeks (ish) yesterday. Got called for 3 panels across that period, made it into the courtroom, but never made the final twelve. I must have been one of only a handful that didn’t even get a case!

On the plus side I had nearly two weeks without work, and will be approximately £77.68 better off once I get my travel and subsistence reimbursed. lol :(

Soldato
I was called around 2014 but i couldn't because of work commitments at the time. I just told them about my health issues and I haven't been called since. If my health issue is on file they'll probably never call me again.

Back
Top Bottom