Just been ejected from Sainsburys

Man of Honour
I had to quickly nip into Sainsburys to pick up a sandwich on my way home. The sandwich fridge is right by the entrance as is the tobacco counter. I walked in, grabbed a sandwiuch and went to the counter. The old doll behind the counter went as far as taking my money off me before deciding she didn't like the helmet. Instead of asking me to remove it she grabbed the sandwich and said "Take off the helmet". I said no and asked for my sandwich and change. Instead of handing me the change and sandwich and letting me leave, she caused an immense fuss by shouting at me, "Take off that helmet now or I'll have you put out!"

Now, I understand some places like filling stations have a policy regarding removal of helmets and said policies are clearly signposted on the door. My Sainsburys has no such signs anywhere. I had a thorough look.

So before Doris has a heart attack I take off my helmet as she rants at me about how there are signs and that I should know better. I asked her why I had to remove my helmet and the best reason she could come up with was "Coz we can see who you are". I asked why she needed to know who I was and what their policy was on Burkha wearing Muslims. She responded by telling me to get out.

I took issue with this, as you do :)D)and went in search of a supervisor. The supervisor said there was no policy, the security guard who came over said there was no policy yet I was asked to leave. :confused:

Frankly I'm pretty annoyed about how I was spoken to. I could totally understand if there was a store policy about removing helmets and it was clearly signposted but since neither is the case I'm miffed. I'm tempted to ask the old girl to remove her wig next time.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Soldato
I usually take my helmet off when I got into shops for a bit of fresh air, but if i'm just going in for something quick like a sandwich i'd tell them to bugger off!

Man of Honour
OP
I'm just off the phone to Sainsburys customer care. Apparently it is a nationwide policy to remove helmets in the store. I suggested that maybe this policy should be signposted. I also suggested some customer service education for a particular member of staff.

I put the burkha question to the guy on the phone and he agreed that maybe it didn't make sense and was very diplomatic about hte whole thing but I felt bad for putting him in a difficult position and told him not to answer :D

Soldato
I would take that further tbh, they have cctv, write and complaining to trading standards. Abuse is not something in the customer service job description.

ags

Soldato
Yep my local Tesco fillup station..
I know they usually ask you to either remove your lid or get off the bike before you fill up but I would rather do neither, one where am I going to put my lid when I am filling up, on your dirty fuel stained floor? No, and Its sooo much easier filling up sitting on the bike plus I can fill it to the brim :p
Anyway i have been going to the same station for about 4 years on my normal bike, same leathers, turn up on a different bike and they wont release the pump for me, then some bint calls across the Tanoy to take off my helmet like I am some criminal :rolleyes:

Soldato
Its a tricky one mate. Can see both sides tbh. So many places get held up by people wearing bike lids that its understandable that they make people take them off. Its a pain having to take it off and on but I always do out of courtesy anyway.

Man of Honour
OP
I really don't see the issue with a helmet when I could quite freely walk around the store fully covered with black cloth and not a word would be said to me.

Associate
I always pay at pump - Never had any issue. I also have a flip up helmet so just open it if I go in store. I have had a few looks from security, but as soon as it goes up there is no problem, theta Tesco in Swindon.

Soldato
My bank hate it when I come in wearing my helmet, they also have lots of disdain for my pet claw hammer too, eeeesh, some people :rolleyes:

;)

More seriosuly, I take my helmet off when I go into places, can't be arsed with the hassle if they don't want me to wear it.

Soldato
I think it's common courtisy to remove your helmet when going into a shop, leaving it on is bound to freak some people out, so I never do. The argument as to why some people are allowed to be discourteous because of their religeon doesn't really belong here.

Last edited:
Soldato
I always remove my helmet, and have been asked before when I forgot, I could have got all arsey with the staff, or just took it off and not acted like a princess about it and made a fuss.. :) :D

Seriously, for some reason in some situations the helmets intimidate people, I've gone in places in leathers/helmet/visor down and you can see people reacting to this, in the same way people seem to be wary of hoodies etc, it's all massively irrational, but that's people for you... So I remove the helmet as I don't want to inadvertantly intiimidate people, but that's just me...

I really don't see the issue with a helmet when I could quite freely walk around the store fully covered with black cloth and not a word would be said to me.
A berkha, is much less intimidating to most, since it's usually a women behind it, and not a large hairy assed bike ;)

I agree that obnxoious behaviour from the staff is unacceptable, if you had any witnesses, I'd complain to the manager and ask for an apology..

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Sorry as someone who works in retail I think its inconsiderate... dunno why she had to make a big deal about it tho, we'd have probably let it go. Due to the number of times staff have been assaulted by members of the public over seemingly small issues we'd rather have CCTV evidence we can use to prosecute :S

Soldato
I don't go to tescos, they mess me about.. The last time they told me to leave my lid outside on the floor! They even gripe over a penny.. So I go to the garrage up the road run by Pakistani's *gasp* where they don't whine about my lid and if I put £10.05 in and hand them a £20 I get £10 back.

They have always been polite and I guess they don't live in fear..

Man of Honour
I had this other day, i had already filled up, got to front of queue and was told i had to remove lid to pay..... I said are you refusing to accept payment, they bowed down after quite a lot of arguing, had no choice

If some spotty oik gestures me too remove lid before they turn on pump I just drive away...... Very few garages do this, but the ones that do don't get my business

Soldato
Did you at least have your visor up? I wouldn't be too impressed talking to someone who I couldn't at least see their eyes and mouth.

If some spotty oik gestures me too remove lid before they turn on pump I just drive away...... Very few garages do this, but the ones that do don't get my business

It's OK, they probably thought you were going to drive off with out paying...

Back
Top Bottom