Just been ejected from Sainsburys

Man of Honour
OP
Pay at pump solves this. For anything else, I just take it off; I don't really see what all the fuss is about.

There wouldn't have been any fuss if they had a sign on the door asking motorcyclists to remove their helmets. They don't though. Besides, it wasn't a petrol station. It was the regular store.

spp

spp

Associate
I'm tempted to ask the old girl to remove her wig next time.

I laughed out loud at this :D

It is pretty ridiculous, if you were going into the shop to rob them and wanted to hide your face, you would not be at the till handing over money for a sandwich...

I'm quite happy to accept that shops would like us to remove our helmets, but by the same token I want to see them have an issue with anyone covering their face, Burkhas included.

Soldato
I had this other day, i had already filled up, got to front of queue and was told i had to remove lid to pay..... I said are you refusing to accept payment, they bowed down after quite a lot of arguing, had no choice

If some spotty oik gestures me too remove lid before they turn on pump I just drive away...... Very few garages do this, but the ones that do don't get my business

Exactly what I do.

Soldato
I don't agree. You ride a bike, therefore wear a helmet; fine. You get off the bike, therefore you remove the helmet. How long does it take to put on and off? Does the extra few minutes make it a chor? Are you the Stig...? It's just good manors to take the helmet off, signs or no signs.

Man of Honour
OP
I don't agree. You ride a bike, therefore wear a helmet; fine. You get off the bike, therefore you remove the helmet. How long does it take to put on and off? Does the extra few minutes make it a chor? Are you the Stig...? It's just good manors to take the helmet off, signs or no signs.

It is a chore, especially when in a hurry. To remove my helmet I have to remove my gloves which requires me to unzip the sleeves of my jacket. Unzipping my jacket, removing my gloves and then removing my helmet and having to do the reverse all over again for a transaction which takes no more than 20 seconds is a chore. It's especially difficult in the winter when your hands are so cold that you don't have enough dexterity in your fingers to undo the helmet strap for a good 10 minutes :D

The vast majority of stores don't have a problem with helmets.

On the flip side, it is good manners to inform customers of any rules for entry to a store before they enter the store rather than causing a scene.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is a chore, especially when in a hurry. To remove my helmet I have to remove my gloves which requires me to unzip the sleeves of my jacket. Unzipping my jacket, removing my gloves and then removing my helmet and having to do the reverse all over again for a transaction which takes no more than 20 seconds is a chore. It's especially difficult in the winter when your hands are so cold that you don't have enough dexterity in your fingers to undo the helmet strap for a good 10 minutes :D

That's fair do's mate, I don't drive a bike so obviously have no idea how long it takes. :p I can see your point if it takes 10 minutes just to do a quick transaction.

However, personally, I'd still want someone to take a helmet off if I was dealing with them.

Associate
I always remove my helmet in a store it just seems the right thing to do, I have not had problems at petrol stations sitting on the bike to fill up then paying with my lid on.

Tea Drinker
Don
I never do but then I'm 6'3" and pretty broad and if they refuse to serve me after I've filled up i'd ride off after covering my plate as all the anprn cameras are forward facing

Never had a problem even when I'm plugged into radio 2 and I shout 'RECEIPT PLEASE' 'THANKS' and this is south london

Regarding the burkha what about balaclavas, i'm thinking this is my winter underwear

Soldato
I think it's common courtisy to remove your helmet when going into a shop, leaving it on is bound to freak some people out, so I never do. The argument as to why some people are allowed to be discourteous because of their religeon doesn't really belong here.

It does to be honest - ignoring the stupid religion side and concentrating on the argument that the shop requires bikers to remove their helmets in order to avoid being held up; what stops someone holding up a store wearing a Burkha, balaclava or a fancy dress mask?

It's double standards at best, and ultimately nonsense.

Soldato
It's double standards at best, and ultimately nonsense.

That's the biggest point, I very rarely take my helmet off, and the last time I was asked to was well over a year ago. If I was going to hold up some place, I wouldn't pick up sandwiches and a drink first, and be standing there with money, I'd be standing there with a shot gun. Are they going to ask someone with a shotgun to remove their helmets? Of course not, so why bother asking someone to remove theirs when they are trying to offer legitimate business? It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
Associate
In winter I have a thermal balaclava underneath my helmet anyway :D

So I have to strip in Sainsburys to by a ******* sandwich ??? :p:D:D

Caporegime
I have a flip lid and even then have been asked to take it off.

My brother in law refuses to take his lid off at petrol stations, and if they refuse to serve him, he throws all the fuel pumps on the floor. Bit naughty but funny :D

Soldato
I think it's common courtisy to remove your helmet when going into a shop, leaving it on is bound to freak some people out, so I never do. The argument as to why some people are allowed to be discourteous because of their religeon doesn't really belong here.

This.

Sorry Scuzi but I think you were being just as difficult as the cashier. That doesn't defend her at all - but bikers make such a fuss about removing helmets when it would just solve the problem?

Man of Honour
This.

Sorry Scuzi but I think you were being just as difficult as the cashier. That doesn't defend her at all - but bikers make such a fuss about removing helmets when it would just solve the problem?

it's something you'll only understand if you are a biker...

it just makes the whole process a PITA, remove gloves, unbutton textiles, remove lid, now find somewhere to put lid while faffing around with pump / sandwiches / wallet / keys.... it all gets way too much. Like someone said, in winter in cold your hands don't even work so it all takes 5 times longer.

if I did this everyday I'd be getting sarcy comments from car drivers as I faffed with all my clobber..

lucky most places have common sense, and the ones that don't mind me with lid on get all my custom (which is most to be fair)

courtesy / being polite etc etc have nothing to do with it... it's not rude to speak with a retailer who makes his living serving motorists in a lid, I am required by law to wear that lid as I'm a two wheeled motorist :)

Back
Top Bottom