Just dropped a deposit on some M Power - Trackday Project Car

OcUK Staff
OP
Classic Line insurance with customised value and full UK & European track cover, about £440 per year, does not need any NCB either as classic policy, about 5000 miles limit which is OK for me.

OcUK Staff
OP
OK after finding nothing in the rear, I took it for a slow drive this evening and I actually think the noise is actually in the front as it is felt in steering and is substantial enough to be felt through the floor.

As I am not particular fond of driving to a garage I am going to have a look around the front tomorrow as it really sounds like something is loose or something has actually failed or come undone.

Thoughts?

Man of Honour
Sway bar links were a common issues and also steering column if I remember correctly (which I may not do) and all make a clonk.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Seems to be on the vertical axis (not rotational and doesn't occur on acceleration or breaking). Maybe engine mount or something similar thats given up?

OcUK Staff
OP
Seems to be on the vertical axis (not rotational and doesn't occur on acceleration or breaking). Maybe engine mount or something similar thats given up?

I am thinking loose steering rack or a failed ball joint. Engine and gearbox are new mounts. Think its either rear rubber on front wishbone or actual balljoint, will have to jack front up tomorrow and go swinging of bits but after tonights short drive I think its 100% in the front and happens mostly on left turns and uneven/bumpy roads. Acceleration or braking does not make it happen, happens most and always with turning left.

Soldato
Yes but people under estimate how capable a well sorted E46 M3 is, remember I got this to do track work instead of a sorted 911. An average driver and a sorted E46 M3 can go quick, stick a good driver in and they go very quick.

I should have elaborated in my initial comment sorry, i wasn’t insinuating that you or your car were going slow, in fact my comment about the speed being deceptive was targeted at the caterhams, even though they look like they aren’t going very fast the reality is their probably going quite a bit faster than the image portrays. Your car flying past them just goes to how fast it’s actually going.

Soldato
I am thinking loose steering rack or a failed ball joint. Engine and gearbox are new mounts. Think its either rear rubber on front wishbone or actual balljoint, will have to jack front up tomorrow and go swinging of bits but after tonights short drive I think its 100% in the front and happens mostly on left turns and uneven/bumpy roads. Acceleration or braking does not make it happen, happens most and always with turning left.

Funny you say that. I have the same issue on my focus and it seems to have happened just after the clutch change. Maybe a coincidence but only happens when I turn left. Also it doesn't seem to happen on bumps, acceleration, deceleration. Worth checking undertray bits if you have one, but I haven't been able to pinpoint mine yet.

Does it appear to come from the left of the car?

OcUK Staff
OP
Pinpointed it to front passenger side, only happens on vertical plane, no steering input needed, just need to go up a slope at an angle so the anti roll bar is loaded up as such I am thinking drop link, shall disconnect drop link tonight to see if it goes away.

OcUK Staff
OP
Removed passenger drop link, noise is gone, so 99% sure its drop link, so order a new pair of KW drop links tomorrow, whilst I had it up in the firmed up the compression marginally all round.

Back
Top Bottom