Just picked up the new Asus 27 IPS Monitor

Associate
I'm wondering this too. I have a BenQ FP241W which I think uses PWM (I can't tell as I don't have a camera that I can manually adjust the shutter speed on, so I can't do the tftcentral test) and I haven't really noticed it on that so hopefully I'm not sensitive to it. Maybe Baddass knows if the BenQ uses PWM?

Man of Honour
I'm wondering this too. I have a BenQ FP241W which I think uses PWM (I can't tell as I don't have a camera that I can manually adjust the shutter speed on, so I can't do the tftcentral test) and I haven't really noticed it on that so hopefully I'm not sensitive to it. Maybe Baddass knows if the BenQ uses PWM?

Even without a manual shutter speed you should be able to test it with any camera. Just set monitor to 0% brightness and do the test explained in the article at TFT central and see if you see any splitting of the line. I expect it does as apart from a few recent screens most monitors seem to use PWM to be honest

Associate
Thanks mate. Yep, I can see splitting of the line so it looks like PWM, I just can't tell what the frequencies are. Hopefully I won't notice it on the Asus if I pull the trigger on one.

Associate
Received my monitor this morning, must say I'm blown away by it. No pixel issues that I have noticed so far, out of the box settings look fine but I've loaded the ICC profile from TFTCentral which made some noticeable tweaks to improve this even further.

I thought the size would take getting used to, moving from a 24" to 27" but no problems whatsoever.

Haven't tested FPS or other games yet. I mainly play MMO and browse the Internet so this isn't really an issue anyway but the reported input lag seemed just fine to me acc to the review at TFTCentral. I'm not expecting issues with this.

No backlight bleed noticeable, and no issues with colour gradiants or whatnot as have been reported. Possibly these were looked at in the latest batches as I did pre-order this one with most retailers being out of stock until last week of October/first week of November.

IQ is stunning having moved from TN panels all my life. Unbelievable. I'm glad I opted for this rather than 120hz.

Stand is solid, rotation is quick and easy - this was easier to put together than my old Dell E228WFP...

Will test backlight and gaming later on today. I think I'm finally satisfied after hunting for a monitor for so many months...

Associate
Got mine this morning too.......

Connected it up and could see 1 dead pixel straight away in the middle of the screen and a cluster of dead pixels at the bottom which looked like a dirt patch.

Raising an RMA with the supplier (not with Asus) for a direct replacement.

Unlucky I guess.

Plugged my trusty old Dell 2408 back in again!

Associate
How good are these monitors? I am strongly considering taking the plunge and replacing my iiyama E2407HDS

From what I have seen and heard so far, they are good value for money - but that is if you get lucky and receive one with minimal backlight bleed and no dead pixels or dust contamination.

Associate
OP
Well as the OP of this thread, I am reporting that my Asus is still going perfect and after 1 month or so is definitely worth the money.

Games are nice and smooth (not a serious gamer) and the display is simply stunning. Also using the monitor as an XBOX 360 display via HDMI and it is the best I have ever had, even out of a TV.

No dead pixels and the back bleed is minimal.

Very very happy.

Associate
Have to agree with Catanonia. No problems here, either, a few days on. Have been MMO gaming on it and so far no issues. Haven't noticed input lag or lack of responsiveness at all. Maybe I'm not that sensitive to it despite my fears moving from TN panels. I haven't played an FPS yet but tbh I don't play so many these days that it's unlikely to bother me there either.

Associate
are YOU sure your not in splendid demo mode?

splendid demo mode is warm on the right (standard mode) cold on the left (splendid mode)

Yes. Unfortunately I'm sure I'm not in splendid demo mode (please, give me a little credit ;))

Take a look:

image.jpg

This is the same pic but oversaturated to show the color unbalance:

image.jpg

Associate
This is the screen I want for 1440p was wondering if you get any ghosting in FPS games. I'm tempted to wait around to see if someone is going to release a frameless 1440p IPS next year.

Associate
This going for £429.95 now ?

Mmmm.....a monitor drops price by nearly £100 in the space of a few days leads me to think that there are issue's regarding this particular model.

Wonder how many returns OCuK has had? I think these are heavily discounted to shift the stock.

I returned mine for refund due to quality issues and ordered a Dell 2713 instead.

Soldato
Well, I've just taken a punt on one [a bit rude not to, at that price!], so let's see.

From what I've been able to research, pretty much every 27-incher out there has noticeable return rates, if forums are to be believed. And while every panel is different, if my experience with an Asus PA246Q I use at work is anything to go by, I'll be more than happy with this. Seeing as it's replacing my venerable Dell 2405FPW [7 years old, cost over £700, already been through one power board :eek:], I'm pretty confident it'll be a worthwhile purchase.

My only concern is how my eyes will react to LED PCM, seeing as I've only ever used CCFL-lit screens so far. Fingers - and not eyes, hopefully - crossed, eh? :D

Associate
Got mine yesterday (sorry OcUK - it was significantly cheaper elsewhere) and am really happy. No dead/bright/stuck pixels, no significant BLB that I can see and I don't notice any PWM flicker at 27 brightness (tftcentral settings and icc profile with minor adjustments). Couldn't be happier to be honest.

Soldato
Got mine yesterday (sorry OcUK - it was significantly cheaper elsewhere) and am really happy. No dead/bright/stuck pixels, no significant BLB that I can see and I don't notice any PWM flicker at 27 brightness (tftcentral settings and icc profile with minor adjustments). Couldn't be happier to be honest.

It's £429.95 now. Can't see that being cheaper anywhere else.

Caporegime
Mmmm.....a monitor drops price by nearly £100 in the space of a few days leads me to think that there are issue's regarding this particular model.

Wonder how many returns OCuK has had? I think these are heavily discounted to shift the stock.

I returned mine for refund due to quality issues and ordered a Dell 2713 instead.

Or it could be the fact that its on offer this weekend for the grand opening and nothing more.

**GRAND OPENING WEEKEND ONLY DEALS - ROUND 7 - MONITOR BLOW OUT!!**

Soldato
Wow !!!!!!!

Just popped into OC and picked this bad boy up

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-043-AS&groupid=17&catid=1120&subcat=

Fantastic monitor, my 1st IPS monitor and it is the dogs !!!

Have it in the middle of 2 older 22inch HP's as my main monitor. Loving the colours, the resolution and well everything about it.

How does that work with them having different resolutions? I bought this monitor today as the dgm was out of stock at the opening and I currently have a couple 22inch monitors

Back
Top Bottom