Keeping “emergency” cash at home…

Unless we include the 'shrapnel' pot or various foreign currencies from holidays, then i keep and carry zero cash as i have no need for it day-to-day, even the local chinese takes card.
On the very, very rare occasion i need it for a Birthday card or a trade (most do BACS or card around here) then i'll just simply nip to an ATM but otherwise i rather it not lose me money sitting at home.

Last edited:
yeah banks are getting cheeky now
FFS its my money NOT theirs limits on paying in and taking out via card etc
They would love to make everyone use card so that they know what you spend on and can pester you with ads etc ;)
Don`t get me wrong card is sooo convenient but if i want to withdraw £5000 in bank i expect to be able to,not be subjuect to the spanish inqusition.i.e. why do you want the money,where are you going to spend it etc etc :(

You’re storing it in THEIR facility, so it’s not surprising they decide when you can use it!

I'm rapidly approaching 50 which might answer "why" for this but I always keep enough cash around to fill a few tanks of petrol, do some food shopping for a couple of weeks etc. The canteen where I work has internet drop-outs every couple of months which always causes carnage with the younger "cashless" generation whereas I always use cash there so it has no effect on me.

I think it'll take some kind of unfortunate event for people to realise the value of cash vs the convenience of cashless when/if the internet ever breaks for just a couple of weeks. I'm from the pre-internet generation so having to rely on everything needing a working web connection to be able to get basics like food etc just doesn't sit right with my Boy Scout training :D

Last edited:
I'm rapidly approaching 50 which might answer "why" for this but I always keep enough cash around to fill a few tanks of petrol, do some food shopping for a couple of weeks etc. The canteen where I work has internet drop-outs every couple of months which always causes carnage with the younger "cashless" generation whereas I always use cash there so it has no effect on me.

I think it'll take some kind of unfortunate event for people to realise the value of cash vs the convenience of cashless when/if the internet ever breaks for just a couple of weeks. I'm from the pre-internet generation so having to rely on everything needing a working web connection to be able to get basics like food etc just doesn't sit right with my Boy Scout training :D
I think some people have forgotten that not too long ago one of the banks basically lost it's ability to let it's customers do virtually anything (and the branch staff*) couldn't access accounts on their systems either.

Unless you've got at least two current accounts with completely different banks, or a credit card that is from a completely different issuer and type there is always a single point of failure that can remove your ability to use any electronic funds, even then if there is an internet outage or whatever you can be without your electronic cash.

I probably use card for about 95% of my purchases these days, but cash is always handy to have around.

*Good luck finding a branch that hasn't been trimmed these days ;)

I think some people have forgotten that not too long ago one of the banks basically lost it's ability to let it's customers do virtually anything (and the branch staff*) couldn't access accounts on their systems either.

Unless you've got at least two current accounts with completely different banks, or a credit card that is from a completely different issuer and type there is always a single point of failure that can remove your ability to use any electronic funds, even then if there is an internet outage or whatever you can be without your electronic cash.

I probably use card for about 95% of my purchases these days, but cash is always handy to have around.

*Good luck finding a branch that hasn't been trimmed these days ;)
I can remember the big whooha when amazon turned around and said they wasn't going to take visa credit cards as the fees was too high and all my credit cards were visa.

I had to get a mastercard with them as they was giving away £50 pounds gift card with it. It all got sorted out before they actually stopped taking visa but a few people I knew was left stumped as we just had visa cards. lol

I have around £200 in the house in notes and keep two £10 notes in my card wallet.

Can't remember the last time I used cash though, everywhere has Google pay support and my normal bank card is in my wallet for petrol (have to put card in machine)

When I say card wallet it's just a thin card holder with my driving licence and my 2 main banks. Have no need for anything else. The £10 notes are just so it's there, you never know money.

Last edited:
I always carry a minimum of £20 cash.

We keep probably a couple of hundred in the house.

Every so often card readers fail. That's not a problem for me, but it is for those who are cashless- I've seen people totally flummoxed by this on a few occasions.

Also, there is a qualitative difference in the experience of spending cash, and getting change (feedback) to swiping a card.

Usually have £100-200ish in my wallet and have many many times that at home due to selling a couple of vehicles etc.
If something comes up cheap and it’s cash only, then I’m on it without having to go into town to a bank.

Back
Top Bottom