Kerbal Space Program 2

Soldato
Never played the first title and almost purchased it before learning soon after a sequel was inbound. I'm interested in this however the price if rumoured is as little steep if true for an early access.

Soldato
Watching Scott Manley stream it. Not overly impressed right now. £45 for cut down amount of content that the original has, no multiplayer, terrible performance, graphics not much of a step up from the original, no joystick support, no modding support. Sure some of these things are promised and planned, but with no firm timelines at all.

Scott Manley keeps saying performance is fine, he's getting 30fps at 1440p on an RTX3070. Considering the graphical quality of the game, that's shocking. Maybe if it was a little indy title for £15 I'd give it some slack. But this is now a bigger development team being backed by a proper publisher.

Soldato
£45 for an early access is a joke that's without getting into the whole poor performance for average graphics and less features than the original

Never played the first title and almost purchased it before learning soon after a sequel was inbound. I'm interested in this however the price if rumoured is as little steep if true for an early access.
Play the original with mods it can look almost as good as KSP2 and have more features, check your epic account, they gave the original away for free at some point so it may cost you nothing to play, if not it's like £3 on CDKeys

Last edited:
Soldato
What does the sequel actually give you then, if it's less content, less features, similar graphics and I assume the core gameplay is still 'build rocket, launch rocket'?

Soldato
What does the sequel actually give you then, if it's less content, less features, similar graphics and I assume the core gameplay is still 'build rocket, launch rocket'?
If KSP1 didn't have mod support then KSP2 would technically be better, but with mods KSP1 is far superior

Soldato
£45 for an early access is a joke that's without getting into the whole poor performance for average graphics and less features than the original

Play the original with mods it can look almost as good as KSP2 and have more features, check your epic account, they gave the original away for free at some point so it may cost you nothing to play, if not it's like £3 on CDKeys

Interesting, what mods do you recommend to make it comparable to KSP2 as I'm new to the game?

Soldato
I took the plunge having spent 700h on KSP1. It's pretty rough at the moment with very annoying niggley bugs and quality of life things missing. But I know I'll get the hours and value from it anyway so might as well start now.

made a biplane to slowly fly over and check out Space Centre 2. I hope there's more stuff to see on planets this time (eventually).

KSP2-x64-2023-02-24-23-57-22-468.png

Soldato
My 10 year old plays KSP. He loves it. He is currently at his grandparents itching to get home to play on the assumption I’ve bought this game for him.

Reading all these reviews is a bit depressing. As I’m pretty sure with his experience of KSP over the last year he’ll be as disappointed as you all seem to be. He knows what early access is, but as a 10 year old, expectations and dealing with the reality being different might be a new one for him.

Still I guess I’ll give him the experience of disappointment and buy the game any way for him.

Last edited:
Soldato
Watched quite a bit of this last night on Twitch. Very pricey for an early access and significantly lacking in content for now. Tutorials are welcomed and can only see this game maturing overtime. Can get this for less than £30 if you shop around.

Soldato
I'll wait I had a feeling it will be a bit of a disappointment shame was really looking forward to this was the only game I was really looking forward to

I believe it's the price that's hurt this game more than the early access tag. I remember the first KSP release was similar to this on launch. £18 quid for an EA and you could sit on it while it matures, price is pretty steep.

Soldato
Agreed, an early access price should reflect that you’re basically gambling on the game becoming good. Now KSP2 is probably a safer bet than some but still not the price of a full game.

Time to break out the first one again.

Soldato
A few weird bugs today. Got the mun and back, landed in an ocean and immediately sank and my rocket started spinning uncontrollably. I EVAd Jeb and he is so bouyant he rocketed up and out of the water for like 50m before falling back and yo-yoyoing to sea level. I can't even destroy the craft from the tracking station either cos of a bug or cos it is moving.

Soldato
I've not played KSP for a few years but got into it at fairly early, well before v1.0 and ended up with about 1200hrs I think (£7 well spent). Been really excited about this since they dropped the trailer a couple of years so. Fully agree with the sentiment that it's the price of EA that is causing the controversy. At £20-30 it'd be much more happy to take a punt and if I'm not happy with gameplay/performance I'd keep it and let it mature before getting back into it later. At £45 it's a little steep. After watching some livestreams in the first 24h I'm actually more tempted to get it to be fair. The parts list, whilst not overly exciting (compared to modded KSP1) isnt bad compared to what we had all those years ago and planes / wings look good. Will probably wait for month or two to see if we get any early bug fixes or patches but like mentioned above it's probably a safer early access bet than the first was and now a huge cult following modding will only go from strength to strength.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've not played KSP for a few years but got into it at fairly early, well before v1.0 and ended up with about 1200hrs I think (£7 well spent). Been really excited about this since they dropped the trailer a couple of years so. Fully agree with the sentiment that it's the price of EA that is causing the controversy. At £20-30 it'd be much more happy to take a punt and if I'm not happy with gameplay/performance I'd keep it and let it mature before getting back into it later. At £45 it's a little steep. After watching some livestreams in the first 24h I'm actually more tempted to get it to be fair. The parts list, whilst not overly exciting (compared to modded KSP1) isnt bad compared to what we had all those years ago and planes / wings look good. Will probably wait for month or two to see if we get any early bug fixes or patches but like mentioned above it's probably a safer early access bet than the first was and now a huge cult following modding will only go from strength to strength.
Pretty much my feelings too. £20 I'd have bought it despite the state it is in, £45 is too much right now. I'll keep an eye on it and if the devs do start rapidly releasing updates that improve the game I'll reconsider.

Back
Top Bottom