Kitchen Renovation

Soldato
OP
Having a few days off now, got to wait for the instant hot tap and extractor to be delivered. (5th Oct)
Then have to install the wall tiles and the plinths, cornice and pelmets, but they are not rush jobs. Least the kitchen is now fully functional - not using hob till extractor is in though

00000000000000000000.JPG

00000000000000000001.JPG

000000000000000000003.JPG

00000000000000000002.JPG

Soldato
Out of interest, you started with what i'd have classed to be a pretty high budget for the size of the kitchen, which would've allowed for some really high spec components. Yet a lot of your appliances are at the low end of the scale.

Any reason why you decided to go in a different direction?

Soldato
OP
Well the ovens were lower priced that we expected. I checked out some which reviews and for the high end approach vs the mid range the reviews were not much different.
Was looking at an induction hob, but as my wife is awaiting a pace maker operation - i found out a pace maker can be affected by induction magnetics so cannot have one - so we went gas - that saved us a fair chunk.

The costs so far are:
Plastering work = £400
New plumbing = £300
Electrics = £650
New Roof = £1300
Cupboards and doors etc = £2000
New floor tiles, grout and floor adhsive = £400
Pelmets, cornice,plinths for cupboards and end panels for cupboards above the hob = £280 (not ordered yet)
Worktops = £1650
Ovens x 2 = £500
Hot tap = £600 (awaiting delivery - Tomorrow)
Extractor and Hob = £350 (awaiting delivery of extractor - Tomorrow)
American Fridge = £1000 (not ordered yet)
Paint = £60
New ceiling light = £40
Skip hire = £150
Various bolts, screws, brackets and fixings = £120
Under counter lights = £100 aprox (not spec'd or ordered up yet)
Wall tiles = £150 maybe? (not ordered yet)

Total = £10,050

Last edited:
Soldato
We ended up not having wall tiles, our builder suggested it would look better without. We had upstands installed, made of the same black quartz as the worktops then painted the walls with kitchen paint. The builder said that if we changed our minds then he'd tile it for us for no additional charge.

2.5 years later I'm glad we didn't go for tiles and I'm amazed how well the paint cleans up. I thought we'd need to have tiles or glass behind the hob so that the paint didn't get ruined by cooking splashes but it wipes up clean with no bother. Fat, red wine and all sorts just wipe off.

Soldato
no christening of the combo mixer/boil tap yet ? will be interesting to see the filter mechanism .... is the kitchen useable

Soldato
OP
Don't mention the boil tap to me..... I placed an order for it with appliance direct along with my extractor hood.

I ordered on the 28th Sept, their website said delivery on 3rd Oct. Anyway yesterday came, and I checked and they had not despatched.

They are out of stock until the 18th of the boil tap - but their website still says in stock!
They will not deliver the hood until bvoth are in stock, so actually after arguing with them in the end i have cancelled and ordered elsewhere.

The kitchen is usable, in terms of ovens work, hob works but not using till extractor delivered and installed.
Dishwasher works and plumbed in.
Washing machine not plumbed cos cannot sort wqaste till boil tap arrives (going to same waste outlet)

But we are able to cook with ovens and washup with dishwasher. We are also using a steamer for veg etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well I installed the hot tap and tank a few days ago, and I'm really pleased with it, coffee is instant and boiling veg etc is so quick now as you don't need to wait for the saucepan to heat up etc.
I'd recommend an instant hot tap to everybody now.

Jobs left to do:
  • Order and fit the tiles, we are having just three rows of grey, brick effect tiles.
  • Finish painting around the window
  • Clean up the window sill and tile
  • Fix the final bracket to the tall corner cupboard to hodl it up straight - currently it is leaning slightly due to the weight as I didnt secure the right side to the wall.
  • Install pelmets and plinths
  • Clean up the new floor tiles - using nail polish remover, it is really good - we tested a corner and it was great
  • order and position our new yank fridge freezer.

Few pics using my SLR

DSC_7788.JPG

DSC_7789.JPG

DSC_7790.JPG

DSC_7791.JPG

DSC_7794.JPG

DSC_7795.JPG

DSC_7796.JPG

DSC_7797.JPG

DSC_7798.JPG

DSC_7799.JPG

Soldato
Yes, your walls were knackered and it needed a complete revamp, but aesthetic choices aside (why you went for green paint is beyond me, but hey - it's your house) I don't understand the new kitchen. You've gone from what seemed like a reasonably light and airy kitchen with lots of usable space and turned it into a darker, more cramped kitchen, losing some usability along the way.

Case in point - the sink. I don't understand why you've downgraded from a 1.5 sink with drainer to a small, single bowl. I get why you might not want a drainer, but surely you'd want at least a 1.5 undermount? How are you supposed to do the washing up in that tiny thing?!

Andyou've almost halved your cooking surface, which seems like an odd choice given the space you had to play with. You could have easily got a six-burner hob in there with a wider extractor; why did you go for a 4-burner and a really narrow extractor? Won't you miss the larger hob, being a family and all?

Soldato
OP
99% of our washing up is done via the dishwasher so a smaller sink was our choice because we didn't need the big sink.

The 4 burner hob is fine, we did have 5 rings on our old cooker - however we never used more than 3 hobs at any one time. We tend to use an electric steamer for veg mostly so no need for saucepans for each veg.

We have far more storage space now and thus we don't need to have kitchen items in storage bozes in the garage now.

As for the dim look, we are still looking at under mounted down lights and they will make it feel more airy etc.

The fact remains this kitchen now is far more user friendly in terms of storage and functionality compared to our old kitchen. Green is a calming colour and it looks good.

We do have less worktop space than before - this is right, however the space previously was wasted and not used fully. We have plenty of space to do what we want to do still. We have 6.5m of worktop lenght in total still, but better storage now.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think i'm inclined to agree with @glitch on that one. I get the desire for a more modern looking kitchen units but i much preferred the previous layout. As long as you're pleased though that's all that matters :)

Are you planning on putting a cupboard door on to cover the microwave when not in use or leave it open as it is? Also was there no space within the chimney for the extractor to locate the plug socket? I thought they usually allowed for that so you didn't have the plug/wire on show?

Also seems odd not to have any drain grooves in the worktop, i know you said you do most of your washing in the dishwasher but what do you do with stuff you wash by hand?

Soldato
OP
For the odd time we need to hand wash we have a purpose made absorption towel which is in our cupboard which is meant to soak up the water from washing up. I didn't want the groves as typically hand wash items are only used once, maybe twice a month at best. I prefer the clean look.

Yes I do need to fit the cupbaord door for the microwave, however I need to drill new holes about 5mm above the current bracket holes as the unit isnt made speciafically for 2 x 600mm ovens. This also means I need to cut off maybe 1cm off the top of the door otherwise it may stick out slightly and look odd.

Soldato
Hot tap does look good - will be interesting to know what the electricity consumption is, too, versus a kettle, is there a standby at night ?
I guess a shower type tap head is not very compatible - but does not matter with little washing up.

Yes - just realised you don't have a drainer; as well as washing-up, I use these when gutting fish say too, messy prep, that kind of thing where you have liquid which cannot easily be captured on a chopping board.

Soldato
OP
We have a big chopping board with a channel all around it to catch excess liquid etc.

This one.. https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/cookware/knives-chopping-boards/lämplig-chopping-board-bamboo-art-00309829/

Hot tap does look good - will be interesting to know what the electricity consumption is, too, versus a kettle, is there a standby at night ?

Hot taps apparently cost around 5p per week with typical use - however I don't believe that myself, I'm not fussed about the power consumption of it though, the major benefit is instant access to boiling filtered water.

Soldato
The 4 burner hob is fine, we did have 5 rings on our old cooker - however we never used more than 3 hobs at any one time. We tend to use an electric steamer for veg mostly so no need for saucepans for each veg.
Didn't you have seven? I counted a 3/4 split - hence me asking why you downsized, when most people upsize.

If you don't use the hob that much, for whatever reason, then fair enough.

As for the dim look, we are still looking at under mounted down lights and they will make it feel more airy etc.
I think you are going to need it, but I wonder if you might have a problem with your dark, shiny worktops... I am so used to lighter colours that I can't quite fathom how it will all work!

That being said, with your wife being a cake decorator, she's going to need some decent lighting to do that - at the moment she'll be standing with her back to your batton, casting a shadow. Will she get enough from under-cabinet lighting?

We do have less worktop space than before - this is right, however the space previously was wasted and not used fully. We have plenty of space to do what we want to do still. We have 6.5m of worktop lenght in total still, but better storage now.
Will overhanging storage over the large majority of your worktops make life tricky for your wife? The only open space is right next to the window, but standing there is going to be a little restricted with the positioning of the appliances?

I'm not a fan of working under cabinets, but sometimes I guess you have to. That's why I've pulled my units out past 650mm to give me as much front-to-back space as possible.

And speaking of storage, did you consider a corner unit to the left of the window? You would have eked out a little more space that way. And was it a conscious decision to leave a gap between the wall units and your hood or was that through available sizes of the units?

Soldato
OP
Didn't you have seven?

Haha you are right, but that shows that we never used them all actuall;y, I thought it was 5. But it was seven, the thing is though we only ever used 2-3 at a time.

As for the space at the side of the extractor, we wanted the super wide drawers. 900mm wide. We opted for the 600mm hob and extractor, we could have move the wall cupboard in more to reduce the space to extactor, however we wanted the wall cupboards lines to match the lines on the base cupboards, as we prefer this look. There is no right or wrong way, just personal preference really. I do still have the side panels to affix to the wall units either side of the extractor and also the splash back on the wall too.

But you can see the line up of the units in the below pics. Considering this is the first time I've ever undertaken a big project like this myself, I'm extremely happy with the results.

lineip2222.JPG

lineup1.JPG

Back
Top Bottom