Knife Thread

Soldato
Chef or Santoku, <£200. Ideally with a Damascus pattern.
And made by a maker here? Not going to happen unless using questionable Damascus and therefore likely a questionable maker.

A half decent stainless at that price would be feasible, but only from a hobby maker (who can be just as good if not better than some pros).

Caporegime
IIRC, if it's a proper Damascus blade, the pattern goes through it. If it's acid etched to make it look like a Damascus blade, it's just a surface pattern that can be worn off.

the defining characteristic of Damascus steel is the formation of carbon nano tubes in its structure.

given the original production process has been lost o time this is certainly no longer a factor.

Damascus now means striations of hard and soft steel with a visible difference.

ts a worthless fator.

you can hammer a bit of old steel cable into a modern Damascus blade with a blowtorch and a hammer

but given you're using it as a kitchen knife and not a ******* sword to have a fight with another guy with a steel sword its an utterly worthless metric.

for a kitchen knife Damascus or homogeneous steel is meaningless it is a factor in a sword not a knife. (unless your smacking you kitchen knife against another will all your bodily might, then it matters) as its about its resistance to impact/swordplay, zero to do with cutting ability.

Soldato
And made by a maker here? Not going to happen unless using questionable Damascus and therefore likely a questionable maker.

A half decent stainless at that price would be feasible, but only from a hobby maker (who can be just as good if not better than some pros).
No problem. I may just pick up a Shun Premier.

Associate
Had a set of Jamie Oliver knives. I thought they were good until I recently got my wusthof classic ikon 6 piece set and am blown away.

Yeah, they're pretty damn good, especially when paired with the Wusthof quick sharpeners.

A lot of people claim that the Japanese blades are sharper due to the metals used in them, which is correct - But what they don't realise is the maintenance required to keep the Japanese steel blades in tip top shape, ensuring you don't cut acidic things like tomatos with them, etc. A whole lot of hassle. I've long thought that the German steel blades are for people who like to cook first and knives second, the Japanese ones for people who like knives first and cooking as an afterthought.

Associate
DVOUw26.jpg
NTY87vr.jpg

The blade on this one is finished, spec requested was acid darkened blade and super slicey lol, be fitting up the handle scales this week, so I'll pop up some finished pics next week.
Then funnily enough the next on the list is a santoku type knife :)

Soldato
Thanks,
I do like the santo more due to the wider blades.

what kind of price would one be looking at for a custom knife ?

Permabanned
Associate
After a decent everyday knife but drawn towards the Santoku style, any thoughts on these two for the money?

Not sure if the 170mm Santoku would be any good for general use?

37241207400_92bb49c30f_c.jpg

36830221183_5310250e5e_c.jpg

Soldato
I found the Victorinox Santoku a bit flimsy, also a bit disappointed that vegetables still stuck in the scallops, despite santoku aspirations.
Can maybe still buy at http://www.3663cateringequipment.co.uk/
You have ordered the following 1 item(s):
1*62982 Santoku Knife 17cm Fluted Edge Fibrox Handle at �18.99
I would not have payed £40
replaced with a Zwilling/henckel santoku pure ~23cm from b&m ~£35

Back
Top Bottom