Knife Thread

Permabanned
After a decent everyday knife but drawn towards the Santoku style, any thoughts on these two for the money?

Not sure if the 170mm Santoku would be any good for general use?

37241207400_92bb49c30f_c.jpg

36830221183_5310250e5e_c.jpg

Look for a good stainless steel 210mm Chefs Knife (Gyuto) for general home use:-

https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...efusa-fkm-series-gyuto-japanesechefsknife-com

https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...0mm-to-gyuto360mm-8-sizes?variant=29221557571

Man of Honour
OP
Online knife sales to be banned....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40640810
its a proposal which was announced ages ago. it would effectively kill custom knife making and small business. Places liek amazon would also be upset. complain to your MP.

edit - although they seem to have updated the proposal and will be able to ship to shops like collect+ where they can check ID before handing it over, Presumably the same for Royal mail you would just have to collect from Post office with ID.

So actually a little inconvenient but not an outright ban and should have little effect on business.

Soldato
Totally ridiculous when you think that of most knives used in crimes are bog standard stuff that been pulled out of someone's kitchen drawer. Despite all the pictures of exotic knives they always put at the top of these stories, over 80 percent of knives handed in during amnesties are just bog standard cutlery/cooking knives.

Man of Honour
OP
Totally ridiculous when you think that of most knives used in crimes are bog standard stuff that been pulled out of someone's kitchen drawer. Despite all the pictures of exotic knives they always put at the top of these stories, over 80 percent of knives handed in during amnesties are just bog standard cutlery/cooking knives.
yep, but it's an amber rudd proposal, and well when has she ever had sane and rational ideas.

Soldato
Treated myself to a couple of new knives.

37363379490_7f75e17be4_b.jpg

36911485964_3bd3122966_b.jpg

I really like the look of them, not many knife designs that I like but these are something i would want, Like but like jaffveyda I have a similar problem with them not getting looked after and the cost would get me thrown out or eating beans on toast for a month or two.

Associate
I really like the look of them, not many knife designs that I like but these are something i would want, Like but like jaffveyda I have a similar problem with them not getting looked after and the cost would get me thrown out or eating beans on toast for a month or two.

Yes imagine when your other half with use those knives to open can of beans or something..

Soldato
I have my shuns still that I bought in 2003, they are getting worn now though hence the purchase, I'll still keep my shuns though. One of them I have never used so I got it signed by the hairy bikers! I'll see if I can find a pic and add it to this thread.

Don
So a little bit of an unusual request, my son is showing a lot of interest in learning how to prepare and cook food but we only have butter knives or chef's knives in our kitchen and these are both inappropriate for cooking with young hands (6 years old).

There are a number of "child friendly" knives on the market but I'm looking for some personal recommendations.

Soldato
Saw a very good utube on knife sharpening (on the back of a bladerunner search)

the guy wetstone sharpens two blades, sequentially, in real time, with multiple angle shots, and then shows how to check sharpness, I will be following this next time.
maybe the Kuma will be less resilient to hold its edge ?

Budget vs Premium - $20 Kuma vs $160 Wusthof Chef Knife
(please can OC fix the forum editor, that just continues with same format after <cr>)

Back
Top Bottom