Knife Thread

Associate
love seeing your work and jealous
Cheers mate. Still new to this knife making malarky. Don't get as much time as I would like to practice, but getting better with each knife :)

@Perywinkle do you have a website/any more information?
No website as It's only a hobby at the moment. I am on instagram where some of the work customers are happy for me to share lives and stuff I make for myself. https://www.instagram.com/pezza_knives/

Soldato
Cheers mate. Still new to this knife making malarky. Don't get as much time as I would like to practice, but getting better with each knife :)

No website as It's only a hobby at the moment. I am on instagram where some of the work customers are happy for me to share lives and stuff I make for myself. https://www.instagram.com/pezza_knives/
2 things

Get you being followed by Jodie Kidd! Is her pub close by to you?

That beard though :o

Associate
I.O Shen 25cm / 10" Bread Knife and blade cover

Bread%20Knife_zpspbo6sa56.jpg

Soldato
Saw a very good utube on knife sharpening (on the back of a bladerunner search)

the guy wetstone sharpens two blades, sequentially, in real time, with multiple angle shots, and then shows how to check sharpness, I will be following this next time.
maybe the Kuma will be less resilient to hold its edge ?

The Kuma uses 3cr13 stainless which is what a lot of cheaper knives use. Its not the hardest steel so is one of the easier steels to sharpen. I'm guessing the more expensive Wusthof knife uses a harder steel ( i cant find what steel it's made from), so if he spent the same amount of time sharpening then the cheaper knife is going to probably have a better edge as its easier to sharpen. But the Harder blade would probably get to the same level with a bit more work and hold that edge for longer.

Soldato
Got myself a Wustof sharpener today - static carbide 'coarse' and ceramic 'fine' sharpening. I have just a set of sabatier and various stainless steel/steel knives used on a regular basis. All really used and abused on a regular basis. Carbide reshaped the blade V regardless of the state, leaving metal filings.. then the ceramic is really fine but perhaps too fine.. honing after brought the blades back nicely. Happy considering it's ease of use vs a full on wet stone.

Also got couple of victornox (correct?!) serrated knives as the mrs prefers serrated for veggies.

Soldato
Wanting to get my father a new knife for the kitchen. I'd be after a typical cooks knife style, or would a Santoku be a better bet? He generally uses our old cooks knife for everything from meat prep to dicing veg so it would need to be an all rounder. I had looked at the usual Robert Welch jobby, but would ideally get something that is a bit more special.

Budget of about £50.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Soldato
Is there anywhere I can send my knives off to be sharpened? I try to keep the edge sharp with the steel but they just dont feel as sharp as they used to so a proper sharpening might be whats needed?

Man of Honour
OP
Is there anywhere I can send my knives off to be sharpened? I try to keep the edge sharp with the steel but they just dont feel as sharp as they used to so a proper sharpening might be whats needed?
loads of places either local or by post, just google knife sharpening.

Associate
just bought one of these - "AnySharp Knife Sharpener with PowerGrip"

£9 from Amazon - seems to do a very good job as I used a steel before myself and this did a better job inside 10 seconds!

Not a chance would I use this on any kind of half decent knife, it sharpens by cutting a new edge and removing lots of metal. And it’s set to a 20 degree angle, most Japanese knives need to be sharpened at a 10-15 degree angle.

Soldato
Not a chance would I use this on any kind of half decent knife, it sharpens by cutting a new edge and removing lots of metal. And it’s set to a 20 degree angle, most Japanese knives need to be sharpened at a 10-15 degree angle.

Who said anything about Japanese knifes? Lets be honest - most people just want a sharp knife and that's it. 99% of people aren't going to get all worked up over whether a blade is sharpened at 15 degrees or 20 degrees. Almost certainly no one will know the difference.
These just make a mess of nice knives, you can see all the little metal fragments they rip off.

Not sure if Im being snobby but not dont think I can bring myself to use one of those on my good knives :p

ok - I'll quietly leave the thread after that......still don't see any recommendations about other options from anyone.

Caporegime
Who said anything about Japanese knifes? Lets be honest - most people just want a sharp knife and that's it. 99% of people aren't going to get all worked up over whether a blade is sharpened at 15 degrees or 20 degrees. Almost certainly no one will know the difference.

ok - I'll quietly leave the thread after that......still don't see any recommendations about other options from anyone.

I use a Minosharp 3 which is OK, certainly gentler than the Anysharp but still doesn’t get knifes very sharp so looking at learning to do it properly with a whetstone.

Back
Top Bottom