Knife Thread

Associate
I'm going to be moving into a place of my own soon, and won't be bringing any kitchen utensils with me. So I'll be looking to buy a new set.

I'm not much of a cook, but given I'll be living away from family, it'll have to happen. I'll won't be looking for a chef-grade set, and would want to save, but won't want to cheap out and regret it. In terms of what I'll want, at least a small knife for fruit/other small jobs, something for larger jobs (cuts of meat, slicing cake) and a bread knife. Possibly with spares for if I'm cutting different things.
The set I'm currently looking at is ProCook Gourmet X30 6 Piece Set, which seems to cover all that, and a stand to hold them (looking at this one currently).

Any opinions on that set, or others of better quality for the price?

Associate
Hey Barnox, the procook set you're looking at for the price isn't the best, they knives are fine but they are very soft, HRC of only 52. for not much more you can get Richardson Sheffield Kyu 5 Piece Knife Block Set https://amzn.to/2KYJlNE . these are HRC55 rated and for the money are a really good set. comes with a knife block too so you don't have to worry about buying that separate.

Soldato
Treated myself to a wusthof classic cooks knife for the new flst. Can't wait to use it.

I'm considering having a third party come in to sharpen all of my knives professionally, as I can't be doing with whetstones myself. Has anyone else done this before and how was your experience?

Soldato
I use a wusthof diamond sharpener with mine ( I ave 4 Wusthof classic Ikon). Couple of swipes is all it takes. Does not get them factory sharp, but perfectly sharp enough to use.

*Minor edit, meant to say does not get them factory sharp

Last edited:
Associate
This is a cheap entry level knife I picked up recently from tkmax liked the weight and feel of it.

10" long and weighs 182g

Was wondering what tasks this design is best suited
v3kk20.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I got a Flint and Flame 6" santoku for Christmas. It's my first decent knife so all I can say is that it's miles better than the set I had before. I've managed to slice through my thumb already so it looks like I'll have to start looking up vids on how to use a knife properly!

upw3Rdj.png

Soldato
I got a Flint and Flame 6" santoku for Christmas. It's my first decent knife so all I can say is that it's miles better than the set I had before. I've managed to slice through my thumb already so it looks like I'll have to start looking up vids on how to use a knife properly!
That's a pricey first proper knife! Someone was treating you :)

Back
Top Bottom