Knife Thread

Soldato
I don't want to go on a rant but do the MP's just want to look like they are doing something instead of doing something real.

Does anyone really think this will work ??

Would someone not just go to a store and buy a knife with cash, which is not linked to your address or go to the kitchen.

People like this can always find a way, they can already get guns so this is wont be hard.

They need to do some real work, like police on the streets, come on its like they sat down for 2 mins, oh we look like we are doing nothing what should we do, let ban home delivery of knifes, it will show we are cracking down hard.

Soldato
My Sabbiter's have rubber handles, and I've ruined a couple by leaving them in the washing up bowl full of water. Didn't think about it, and they've just got worse. I ended up peeling one off today, and it's a bit gunky but I could use it as it is however I'm thinking of putting something else on the handle to provide grip (and make it look good). Any ideas? I was thinking about some very tightly wound twine but unsure what's best.

Associate
My Sabbiter's have rubber handles, and I've ruined a couple by leaving them in the washing up bowl full of water. Didn't think about it, and they've just got worse. I ended up peeling one off today, and it's a bit gunky but I could use it as it is however I'm thinking of putting something else on the handle to provide grip (and make it look good). Any ideas? I was thinking about some very tightly wound twine but unsure what's best.
Cord wrap then a coat of epoxy to seal it :)

Man of Honour
OP
Lovely, I take it you buy the Damascus rather than forge it?
I'm still disappointed I failed to find a property in budget with a garden so can't take this up.

Soldato
That looks fantastic, how is the handle? Looks similar to Globals in size/shape, the sheath looks great too.

I received a new knife the other day after waiting 3-4 weeks... thanks Royal Mail:

E1ZGTYf.png

Soldato
That looks fantastic, how is the handle? Looks similar to Globals in size/shape, the sheath looks great too.

I received a new knife the other day after waiting 3-4 weeks... thanks Royal Mail:

E1ZGTYf.png
Ouch!

Just treated myself to my first ever decent knife. Masakage Yuki bunka. Just spent half a hour chopping veg for fun! I like it a lot.

TGLTpXs.jpg

Soldato
Was my birthday yesterday and was really hoping to get a catrahone that I've been banging on about to my parents for the last couple of months...instead I got some lights for the garden (my mum thought they'd be more useful....thanks mum that's what birthdays are about, practicality rather than treating someone....lol)

Anyway, enough of my moaning, @Steampunk how are you finding it having had it a few months now?

Soldato
Was my birthday yesterday and was really hoping to get a catrahone that I've been banging on about to my parents for the last couple of months...instead I got some lights for the garden (my mum thought they'd be more useful....thanks mum that's what birthdays are about, practicality rather than treating someone....lol)

Treat yourself. You can't trust others to do it for you. You know you want to. You should have told her what you wanted and where to buy it.

Anyway, enough of my moaning, @Steampunk how are you finding it having had it a few months now?

Pretty good. I've had the Catrahone out to run the most frequently used knives through about once a month. It takes a few seconds to just freshen up the edge on each knife when needed. We have loads of knives, we probably use half a dozen regularly. Half of those have covers on them, but they are all abused by being in a drawer, put in the dishwasher, etc. I draw the line at any glass/marble cutting boards, because I'm not a total caveman.

When we had the in-laws over, my father-in-law commented on the razor sharpness of our knives (we make him cut fruit in the mornings). He did some fishmongering in his youth, so he's fond of saying how "the most dangerous thing in a kitchen is a blunt knife". Showed him the Catrahone, and now he's bought one too. It should be good for my mother-in-law who does a lot of cooking, but can't sharpen a knife to save her life, and hasn't been able to get on with any of the manual sharpeners.

It's still the best sharpener I've ever used. Easy and quick to use, good consistent results with little effort so you can enjoy using a properly sharp knife instead of spending time laboriously sharpening them. It would still be a good product at three times the price, so it's a bargain at its current price. And it comes from Sheffield!

Last edited:
Soldato
Treat yourself. You can't trust others to do it for you. You know you want to. You should have told her what you wanted and where to buy it.

Oh I did, sent her a link to buy it direct from Catra, and sent a video and review! lol I may well treat myself, I have a couple of sets of knives, one better than the other but they're horribly in need of sharpening and my minosharp which was good for a while no longer cuts it (pun intended...lol)

Pretty good. I've had the Catrahone out to run the most frequently used knives through about once a month. It takes a few seconds to just freshen up the edge on each knife when needed. We have loads of knives, we probably use half a dozen regularly. Half of those have covers on them, but they are all abused by being in a drawer, put in the dishwasher, etc. I draw the line at any glass/marble cutting boards, because I'm not a total caveman.

When we had the in-laws over, my father-in-law commented on the razor sharpness of our knives (we make him cut fruit in the mornings). He did some fishmongering in his youth, so he's fond of saying how "the most dangerous thing in a kitchen is a blunt knife". Showed him the Catrahone, and now he's bought one too. It should be good for my mother-in-law who does a lot of cooking, but can't sharpen a knife to save her life, and hasn't been able to get on with any of the manual sharpeners.

It's still the best sharpener I've ever used. Easy and quick to use, good consistent results with little effort so you can enjoy using a properly sharp knife instead of spending time laboriously sharpening them.

That's great to hear and has resold me on it, think I'll get it ordered later! :)

Soldato
Our current knives have seen better days and I tend only find myself using the chef knife of them all more than anything so I’m thinking I’d be better grabbing a chef knife and some decent sharpening tool. Not looking to spend a fortune just something that will actually cut effortlessly.

As for sharpening I don’t know too much but will happily read up on methods depending on what you guys recommend.

Soldato
Our current knives have seen better days and I tend only find myself using the chef knife of them all more than anything so I’m thinking I’d be better grabbing a chef knife and some decent sharpening tool. Not looking to spend a fortune just something that will actually cut effortlessly.

As for sharpening I don’t know too much but will happily read up on methods depending on what you guys recommend.

I've been very impressed with this so far:

SPEVORIX Whetstone 2-In 1 Sharpening Stone 1000/6000

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SPEVORIX-W...pID=51dQA2n-5BL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Done a superb job of bring my very damage/blunt knifes back to a decent edge. Needs a bit of practice to get the right angle etc but been mighty impressed.

Soldato
I've been very impressed with this so far:

SPEVORIX Whetstone 2-In 1 Sharpening Stone 1000/6000

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SPEVORIX-W...pID=51dQA2n-5BL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Done a superb job of bring my very damage/blunt knifes back to a decent edge. Needs a bit of practice to get the right angle etc but been mighty impressed.

Am i right thinking you can get away with just a stone and a honing steel? See things around about strops but not entirely sure what they are and what they are for.

Back
Top Bottom