Kryonaut abrasive??

Associate
1 batch that ranged from over a year ago and seems people are still falling foul of with tubes bought recently.

I also bought a small tube of this very recently from OCUK but having read this, I'll bin it and go with my half full tube of NT-H1 instead. not worth the risk for maybe a degree or 2.

So people recently are still having issues? If that is true mate I will never purchase anything from Ocuk again. Crazy they would still stock a product that causes damage to the thing you are buying it for. Thanks for that I was about to order new parts for a rig for a daughter, will use the competitor for the £1450, cheers mate for making my mind up.

Associate
The level of overreaction in this thread just spirals... It's mind blowing.

It's ****ing thermal paste. Just pick a different brand if it worries you.

I wouldn't call it over reaction tbh, the company knows about it and the issue is still happening according to reports in this thread, now if that is true that is poor customer service to me personally, I wouldn't trust a company who still sold a broken product but that is just me, each to their own. If that isn't true and the issue is resolved that's good, but doesn't look that way.

Soldato
I wouldn't call it over reaction tbh, the company knows about it and the issue is still happening according to reports in this thread, now if that is true that is poor customer service to me personally, I wouldn't trust a company who still sold a broken product but that is just me, each to their own. If that isn't true and the issue is resolved that's good, but doesn't look that way.
"The company" being who though?

Deciding you don't want to risk it on a £7 tube of thermal paste, but boycotting the store who simply sell it? Has anyone at OcUK even read this thread?

Thermal Grizzly don't have a way to track the bad batch so have promised to assist anyone affected if they get in touch. They literally couldn't do more to solve this problem, aside from telling suppliers to discard all their stock and marking future tubes. Over scratches.

Associate

Deciding you don't want to risk it on a £7 tube of thermal paste, but boycotting the store who simply sell it? Has anyone at OcUK even read this thread?

Thermal Grizzly don't have a way to track the bad batch so have promised to assist anyone affected if they get in touch. They literally couldn't do more to solve this problem, aside from telling suppliers to discard all their stock and marking future tubes. Over scratches.

Well 8Pack has posted in this thread so I am sure Ocuk know about it, each to their own like I said. You are right though I have "boycotted Ocuk" completely, spot on.

Soldato
@Len Dananey Overclockers are aware of the situation but simply TG is't batch marked so they have no way of knowing. The manufacturer have stepped up to the plate and accepted liability for this.

I would say that boycotting OCUK over something nowhere even near their control is a drastic and unneeded move, but not as much as using the forum owned by that company, or declaring publicly you are boycotting over a none-with-them issue is. Each to their own though. I'll continue to feed Gibbo's Ferrari even if you won't.

Soldato

You do know why the ideal IHS/heatsink surfaces are flat and smooth? That you are supposed to put the minimum amount of thermal compound in to fill the microscopic imperfections between the two mating surfaces as thermal paste is better than air, but worse than a direct contact between the two surfaces?

A thermal paste that makes scratches (ie more imperfections in the surface than you had before) is not really doing it's job. It would be like a car wax that scratches your car paint. You wouldn't expect the wax manufacturer to claim it's normal, and then expect you to use more of it.

It's not just people deciding not to use an expensive tube of paste, it's people unhappy that the same problem is still occurring and unknowing customers are being sold this. Sure, Thermal Grizzly can't track the problem as they don't have batch numbers, they don't want to pull and replace all the stock on the shelves because it would cost them a lot of money, but none of that is the customer's fault.

If people don't want to buy the product because of scratches and imperfections introduced by a product designed to exactly compensate for the same, if they don't want to buy because of the way Thermal Grizzly have handled this and seem to still have this problem floating around despite it only being "a bad batch a year ago", then that's up to the customer. It takes a long time to get a good reputation, and only a moment to lose it.

Last edited:
Associate
You do know why the ideal IHS/heatsink surfaces are flat and smooth? That you are supposed to put the minimum amount of thermal compound in to fill the microscopic imperfections between the two mating surfaces as thermal paste is better than air, but worse than a direct contact between the two surfaces?

A thermal paste that makes scratches (ie more imperfections in the surface than you had before) is not really doing it's job. It would be like a car wax that scratches your car paint. You wouldn't expect the wax manufacturer to claim it's normal, and then expect you to use more of it.

It not just people deciding not to use an expensive tube of paste, it's people unhappy that the same problem is still occurring and unknowing customers are being sold this. Sure, Thermal Grizzly can't track the problem as they don't have batch numbers, they don't want to pull and replace all the stock on the shelves because it would cost them a lot of money, but none of that is the customer's fault.

If people don't want to buy the product because of scratches and imperfections introduced by a product designed to exactly compensate for the same, if they don't want to buy because of the way Thermal Grizzly have handled this and seem to still have this problem floating around despite it only being "a bad batch a year ago", then that's up to the customer. It takes a long time to get a good reputation, and only a moment to lose it.

That is spot on mate.

Associate
Well Wednesday I also got a tube of 5.5gram Kryonaut and I got it from a well known hardware supplier where I live in Denmark, and this was my experience with that crap paste https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/thermal-grizzly-kryonaut-not-recommended.18868896/page-2
Horrible temperatures and it scratched the copper plate of my AIO.
That "bad batch" Thermal Grizzly seem to have made is quite large and still very common to find in retail being sold. I have other fellow Danes reporting the same issue.
Using Kryonaut these days is like playing Russian roulette with your CPU coolers copper base.

Soldato
Just a thought.

Could it just be that the recent problems are from people that have bought the larger, more expensive tubes?

If most people bought the small tubes, this would leave the bigger, faulty tubes still in circulation.

Do TG now put batch codes on the tubes for traceability?

Soldato
I've just bought a small tube and used it on my laptop. Will see what temps look like when I fire it back up soon then see if there are any marks on it.

Man of Honour
Hi :)
Wanted to give you guys some official feedback from Thermal Grizzly side.

We indeed had one bad batch of thermal paste early 2018 which we only noticed after it was already shipped out to customers.
We always take samples from each batch and perform spot tests but it appeared that in this specific batch the spot tests which we performed had the normal performance,
but several syringes had zinc oxide which was not perfectly grinded the way it should be. Zinc oxide is quite hard and strong compared to metals like copper used for coolers and CPU heatspreaders. This explains the scratches you saw on some pictures here.
Due to the fact that the thermal paste has no S/N we unfortunately were not able to track where this shipment was sent/sold.

We are very sorry that some of you experienced this and we will try our best to compensate your personal cases.
In general if you experience any of the problems described in this thread don't hesitate to contact us directly: [email protected] and we will figure something out for you.

I can also tell you that we changed the supplier after this incident. The new chemical factory has top-notch roll mills which we personally inspect every quarter to make sure we can maintain perfect quality.

Again we are very sorry about this but you can be sure that this won't happen again in future and if you have any additional questions or requests please shoot an email to us.
Thanks and Bear-Wishes
TG-Support
Hi mate,

I've contacted your company through the email address you've listed above but I've not had any reply, please can you help look into it for me?

Back
Top Bottom