Kryonaut abrasive??

Associate
We are very sorry that some of you experienced this and we will try our best to compensate your personal cases.
In general if you experience any of the problems described in this thread don't hesitate to contact us directly: [email protected] and we will figure something out for you.
TG-Support

Hi jansimek,
these kind of "scratches" are normal and will happen with any high end paste which uses metal oxides as base materials (especially aluminium oxide). No matter how small you grind the particles in the end aluminium oxide is much harder than copper or the nickel layer and if you have a cooler like NH-D15 with a polished surface you will always see this kind of result. You would even see the same if you use toothpaste (which usually contains zinc oxide).
This is far from what we considered the issue from last year.
Best Regards

So now the scratches are normal, huh? guess you wont be responding to my e-mail then. Shame.

Associate
No as I don't have time to waste chasing after £20 of paste.

In your case you would clearly receive more compensation than just a paste :) Similar as the others. As I said before: We will try our best to work out solutions for those who have this kind of problem.
Please don't hesitate to contact our support but please include pictures and a receipt of when and where you bought the paste so we can track it back. [email protected]

@jansimek: As I said before this is totaly normal. You can even see the corner of your IHS as a "scratch" in your cooler.

Arctic Silver AS5, Noctua NT-H2, Gelid GC-1 and GC-Extreme all use metal oxides. That's based on a 5-minute Google session.

Metal oxide crystals are probably the most common method of producing high performance paste (i.e. not just silicone grease) because you can produce different shapes and sizes of crystals. The different sizes can be selected to fit in imperfections between the mating surfaces. That's exactly the point of thermal paste.

Heatsink surface damage has happened ever since enthusiasts started needlessly demanding mirror finishes. Beyond a certain point the smoothness of the surface is much less relevant than the flatness of the mating surfaces.

This is correct. Performance wise even the "deep scratches" have no impact. But we totally understand the visual importance

Last edited:
Soldato
In your case you would clearly receive more compensation than just a paste :) Similar as the others. As I said before: We will try our best to work out solutions for those who have this kind of problem.
Please don't hesitate to contact our support but please include pictures and a receipt of when and where you bought the paste so we can track it back. [email protected]

As for everything that is sold through Caseking or OCUK I can say that all products in their sales channels are much younger and for sure won't have these issues. Again, this was from early 2018.

@TG-Support

Shac said he bought his paste from OcUK around three weeks ago, and from looking at his pics you say he is entitled to more compensation than just a paste. So how sure are you, actually? Is there a new bad batch, or is there still old bad batch being sold?

My own tube of Kryonaut was purchased November 2017, and the scratches on CPU IHS and heatsink are just as bad as Shac's. So 21 months later, there's still bad Kryonaut being sold.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well, my temps haven't held, so it looks like I am dismantling the laptop this weekend and hoping for the best (that being that one of my thermal pads is just a bit too thick and impacting cpu/heatsink contact). Praying for no scratches.

Soldato
Well, my temps haven't held, so it looks like I am dismantling the laptop this weekend and hoping for the best (that being that one of my thermal pads is just a bit too thick and impacting cpu/heatsink contact). Praying for no scratches.
What does it matter if you get scratches in a laptop? Surely you won't be reusing the CPU or heatsink, or selling parts?

Caporegime
What does it matter if you get scratches in a laptop? Surely you won't be reusing the CPU or heatsink, or selling parts?

Well if scratches don't impact cooling, then I guess it doesn't matter, but laptops have a hard enough time keeping cool as it is.
It might also have warranty implications, as some laptop manufacturers allow you to repaste without voiding it, provided you don't damage anything. A scratched cpu and heatsink assembly might void it.

Associate
Ok compensation payment thank you very much especially as I was not going to bother was £143.19
Plus brand new large tube of guaranteed not to be a problem Kryonaut on its way.

Have to say that is the way to look after customer issues.

Associate
I wanna give you guys an update. TG Support responded to my e-mail and offered to compensate my case with 20 euros. I thought that was a reasonable offer because the residue & scratches on my cooler ihs were not as bad as to affect my temperatures in any noticeable way. I requested a tube of Kryonaut from a known good batch instead and they agreed. Will be receiving the 37g tube of Kryonaut from the latest batch. I am happy with how this was handled after all. Thank you TG

Soldato
Just come across this thread, I have just bought some of this paste, thank god I seen this first before using it. Straight into the trash, cheers OP.

I'd be tempted to squeeze a small amount out and rub it between your fingers to check to see if it feels smooth before binning the lot.

Associate
I'd be tempted to squeeze a small amount out and rub it between your fingers to check to see if it feels smooth before binning the lot.

Honestly I am a little shocked they still sell it mate, I won't risk it. Already binned it. Not gonna lie that kinda makes me think about where to purchase my stuff from now.

Soldato
Apparently it was only one batch. They're not going to completely halt production for that. The seem to have had a positive response to customer concerns so it would've probably been okay.

Soldato
Apparently it was only one batch. They're not going to completely halt production for that. The seem to have had a positive response to customer concerns so it would've probably been okay.

1 batch that ranged from over a year ago and seems people are still falling foul of with tubes bought recently.

I also bought a small tube of this very recently from OCUK but having read this, I'll bin it and go with my half full tube of NT-H1 instead. not worth the risk for maybe a degree or 2.

Back
Top Bottom