Lan noise reducer

Soldato
Keep sticking with the 1.5mm copper speaker cable, Amazon Basic interconnects, $5 PC power cables, and the £4 Wilco power extensions. The money you'll save buying these will offset the costs of that £5000 sub woofer.

Caporegime
Keep sticking with the 1.5mm copper speaker cable, Amazon Basic interconnects, $5 PC power cables, and the £4 Wilco power extensions. The money you'll save buying these will offset the costs of that £5000 sub woofer.
Aren't you the chap with all the Russ Andrews stuff? Sure you were advocating something like this recently.

Soldato
Aren't you the chap with all the Russ Andrews stuff? Sure you were advocating something like this recently.

I own products from Russ Andrews, Audio Quest and others.

I am unique on this forum as I talk from direct experience of trying them, as opposed to others that only read about them, normally from other people that have only read about them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Every year there is an audio show at Cranage in Holmes Chapel, it's free entry and it's regarded as one of the best shows of the year.

This year just gone, Chord were doing a live demo on cables and mains conditioning. They were switched their products out one by one, and playing the same tracks back, they were then discussing audio differences with the audience. I presume Chord will do the same demo next year.

Last edited:
Soldato
Every year there is an audio show at Cranage in Holmes Chapel, it's free entry and it's regarded as one of the best shows of the year.

This year just gone, Chord were doing a live demo on cables and mains conditioning. They were switched their products out one by one, and playing the same tracks back, they were then discussing audio differences with the audience. I presume Chord will do the same demo next year.
I'm assuming there was no difference :p .

Permabanned
Last edited:
Don
Would it be worthwhile buying a ifi network noise reducer for every unused port on my switch?

Can you send some my way - I actually have switch for them to go in :D (albeit only a 5406R):

2I0y84Il.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
A fool and his money.....I await actual documented figures for how good these types of things are, there's usually very little evidence apart from the reviewer (likely paid) saying how awesome it is, but that's just too subjective and imo horse ****.

Last edited:
Permabanned
There is a bunch of reviews on Amazon.

100% they are fake reviews. They got to be!

Soldato
Here is an article from a Ham operator who reduced RFI from his ethernet cables. He posts before and after measurements with an V/UFH antenna showing RFI reduction.

I have done the approach mentioned here, this being wrapping ethernet cables around a ferrite ring core.

Last edited:
Soldato

Hmmmm.

I assume this is a digital isolator.

When I designed and built my ADC, i put a digital isolator on the 24MHz i2s digital line, my noise floor dropped 27dB. The other massive noise reduction was down to power supply noise reduction and groundloop elimination. My resulting ADC currently has a noisefloor of about -150dBV to -160dBV. I can get more out of it but for now it outclasses my audio equipment :D
It has 3 linear supplies planned, each with a LT3080 LDO regulator for helping attack any mains noise, then the power rails on ly PCBs have PI filters with inductors and caps decoupling plus shielding means the design keeps the digital clock noise far away from the analogue.. -160dB is orders of magnitude quieter than -120dB as db is logarithmic.

Will this work? Well it should isolate but there’s probably more sources of noise (power and the power supply design) that dictate noise floor..then you have all the other distortion to remove.. all depends if the designers of your audio equipment cheaped out.. if they cheaped out on isolation the they would have cheaped out on the design of the system and the respective power supplies.

Last edited:
Soldato

So a completely useless demo then? If you know something has been switched and you see them do it then you're bias, even more so if they describe differences. Our brains are stupid and easily mislead. There's a reason that double blind testing is done, so you have no idea what's changed.

Back
Top Bottom