Large increase in migrant workers.

I like how people keep saying British people are lazy.

So say a farm or work place has been hiring polish people since 2004, do you think they will suddenly hire British people over Polish/Eastern Europeans?

They are going to hire the ones they can manipulate!

Before polish workers they hired portuguese/indian workers. It has been decades since labour intensive farms used british workers. It is and always will be about the most economical labour - the lowest wage for the best productivity. British workers will not do hard labour for £5.95 per hour + hol pay (agricultural minimum wage). Large scale farms will rarely break rules regarding pay as supermarkets do ethical audits all the time, interviewing workers and checking payslips. You fail one and you cannot supply the supermarket, which means the farm is bankrupt.

62million people in the uk, 2million people out of work, thats hardly lazy and most of that 2million will have lost their job due to the recession.

i wouldnt mind finding out how many people have been on jsa for over 10 yr, this small minority of people should have their benefits slashed

Well, you have to look at the eligible working population, not total population, and that is ~31million.

Currently unemployment is 2.5million, so ~8%

In the last 30 years unemployment hasn't fallen below 5%, so approx 1.5million. It peaked in the mid 80's at around 12% and again in the early 90's at 11% , you know, the time before a labour government (yes a time like that really did exist and the economy and country was in a **** state then too)

So unemployement isn't a new thing, Labour didn't 'create' the entitlement society based on benefits, that has been around a lot longer than 'New Labour'. The Conservatives were moaning about it all the way through their 80's/90's tenure. The thing is all you 20 somethings on here will only have known Labour for most of your adult life (and probably not much interest in politics at a younger age) So I understand why, but find it laughable that you attribute all of societies problems we have now on Labour.

Anyway, there is no desirable thing as full employment, no one (apart from us the workers) would want that, it just drives up wages too much, so no matter what Government is in, there will always be plenty of unemployed people...just historically you get more under the Tories than Labour, as Lab employs them in the Public Sector :p

What is bad, is just the small core of long term unemployed (or unemployable) people who have no intention of getting a job, but I'm wondering how big a problem that actually is....but all the british workers get tagged of being Lazy **** by people on here because their ignorance and/or believing what the daily mail tells them.

Update : Latest figures show there are 400,000 who have been claiming for more than 2 years (only 2 years hardly a lifetime) - and this has doubled since 2008. So one would extrapolate that around 2008 the figure was 200,000 - hardly representative of everyone being a lazy dole scrounger is it out of a working population of 30 million (0.6%) - and thats only 2 years, over 10 will be lower still.

I thought it was an interesting point made a few posts back that the only people net paying tax anyway are the childless and top 25% earners. So the rest of you sponge of my taxes too! ;)

Last edited:
Indeed. Should educate some of the 'educated' in this thread that think they know everything.

Silly desk jockeys. You give the English a bad name posting during work hours. If you were more productive we'd not be in this state.

I'm off to hire some Indians.

you're right, thats why some businesses bring back chinese workers on a container ship and set them to work for free.. think about the profits..

if i had enough money to start my own business, i'd employ british native..

because i have ethics, not greed.

So if you operated a potato picked business you would employ British people rather than poles, because you have ethics?

could you be more spercific with who is lazy and who isnt, becuase you're claiming all british native workers are lazy

62million people in the uk, 2million people out of work, thats hardly lazy and most of that 2million will have lost their job due to the recession.

i wouldnt mind finding out how many people have been on jsa for over 10 yr, this small minority of people should have their benefits slashed

so we have 60 million people in work........??

So if you operated a potato picked business you would employ British people rather than poles, because you have ethics?

Should employ the best person for the job regardless of race, religion or sex.

Perfectly legal if you say you'll pay a worker say 50p for each unit they produce, knowing full well that the maximum number of units it's possible to produce is 4 per hour. I believe lots of Eastern European workers got caught out with this scan for cleaning hotel rooms in central London. No doubt it's all the fault of lazy British workers though :rolleyes:

source ? i cant find anything that says we need the world more than they need us..

we're in the top 10 most richest countrys, we import a shed load, i'd say we're pretty important to a lot of other countrys

You dont need, nor will ever find a "source" for what is bleedingly obvious....

By the fact we're importing so much, and hardly exporting is a terrible state to be in.

Ok you really have to realize that these are two completely different sides of the labor market. Migrants and natives are not competing for the same jobs so don't complain that you can't find a job because of migrants unless you want to to landscaping and house-painting.

Ship them up and send them back, with the amount of lay-offs from companies these hard times are producing, we need all the jobs available to native people.

Ship them up and send them back, with the amount of lay-offs from companies these hard times are producing, we need all the jobs available to native people.

How many natives would actually take up a 6am (or earlier) to 6pm job picking vegetables/fruit off a farm at the minimum wage? What about cleaning hotel rooms at the minimum wage? Food processing jobs? Working in abattoirs?

If we ship off all the migrants, and few natives want to do these menial jobs, guess what happens then?

How many natives would actually take up a 6am (or earlier) to 6pm job picking vegetables/fruit off a farm at the minimum wage? What about cleaning hotel rooms at the minimum wage? Food processing jobs? Working in abattoirs?

If we ship off all the migrants, and few natives want to do these menial jobs, guess what happens then?

Simple, make people on the dole do it or they lose their benefit.

Minimum wage has to be better than the £65 a week dole money provides.

Ok you really have to realize that these are two completely different sides of the labor market. Migrants and natives are not competing for the same jobs so don't complain that you can't find a job because of migrants unless you want to to landscaping and house-painting.

What a load of ****

Back
Top Bottom