Largish Family Car - SUV?

to be honest with you I've personally not heard any horror stories with lexus CVT's.. I've driven and known people who have owned some high mile gs450hs, rx400h etc with CVT's and 0 issues.

nissan cube we had was known for CVT problems but again, original box with some servicing at 150k km without issues.

personal view is this :

if you like how it driver, I would completely not worry about the reliability part of CVT's in newer lexus cars, and like @sandys said, there's the 10 year warranty on top

Some of the older Nissans and compatriots had a higher chance of premature failure - but even then many of them went on to 100s of thousands of miles without issue especially if looked after.

I was talking to the service manager in my local Nissan place about it when I bought a Qashqai with CVT and whether it was worth a more regular service schedule on the transmission than standard (keeping in mind that would make them more money) and he said not worth it - in his experience if they are going to go they are going to go and otherwise as long as serviced to the normal standard they just keep on going and they've only had a small number of failures.

Back
Top Bottom