Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

I assume you got LASEK/PRK? Think that will take awhile to improve vision, usually a few weeks.

Had my 3rd aftercare appointment yesterday. Not much has changed vision wise, which I knew. They said that whilst its not perfect 20/20, its a small enough prescription that they advised not to get enhancement done.

I have another appointment in 7 weeks, and they said that if it hasn't improved, I can make an appointment to see the surgeon and get his opinion which is good.

Currently I do/don't regret getting it done. Its great because I prefer not wearing glasses and the vision is 100% better than when I didn't wear glasses. However, the vision isn't as sharp as my glasses, and the haloing is annoying at night.

Doesn't help that I use a computer 8 hours in work and then more at home, but its somewhat unavoidable. Need to learn to take more breaks every so often, as I've noticed the vision is better at the weekends when I'm away from work and my laptop most of the time.

Wow...

I'm having LASEK done next Friday as my eyes aren't compatible with LASIK. I've been warned that it's painful afterwards and does take a few days for vision to improve... however this seems more like a few weeks.

I'm very nervous as I use a computer for long hours at work, and work lates and sometimes night shifts (in the office).

My eyes are about -3.75 and -3.25 with astigmatism. I'm fed up of contacts and wearing glasses at home. Hopefully this will all make a positive difference.

I had lasik followed by lasek a year later as an enhancement. The ups and downs can be a little disconcerting, however do not expect miracles. The healing process of lasek takes months and week by week you notice that your vision improving.

Still get a few odd days whereby my left is not too clear due to dry eye. However working in an aircon office and car does not help.

Finally got this done and wow. I'm so happy that I can now see without my glasses. Took me about 6 months to take the plunge but so glad I did.

This sounds pretty good, but side effects worry me...

The first concern is the effect of something pressing your eye flat each day, and the risk of pressure sores or the like...

The other concern.... What if the lenses move in your sleep? Would your vision be off centre or leave your vision blurred?

As a follow up from my previous post...

I have had Ortho-K lenses for two weeks now and all I can say is wow!
I would imagine it is much the same feeling as those who have had successful laser eye surgery but with none of the associated risks
Better than 20/20 vision, no dry eyes, no glasses, no worrying about loosing my lenses!

I wear ridged lenses over night every night ideally but I had no issues going two days previously

I got mine from The Contact Lens Practice in Birmingham who were brilliant! I was told by the optimistic I would likely not be suitable for laser eye surgery because my lens is too thin. I would imagine other may be in a similar position.
I would advise anyone to steer clear from the risks of laser eye surgery and go for Ortho-K. Especially if you may not be suitable, too young or otherwise.

As a counterbalance, had Lasek done in one of the popular London clinics last decade, it was unsuccessful, the experience was awful, complications lasted years, I wish I had never done it. I think it should be banned as commercial cosmetics format performed by private entities on high street and left only to hospitals.

Can't remember if I've posted in this thread before but another massive thumbs up for the London Vision Clinic. Had keyhole lasik back in June last year and can honestly say it was the best decision of my life. Yes LVC is not cheap but Dr Dan and his team are great and I don't regret spending the money one bit.

Reading some of the recent comments in this thread about the suction being painful - my experience is completely different. No pain whatsoever, just a mild discomfort/odd sensation. I did have keyhole lasik though so no flap was cut.

Eyes had healed within 24hours and I was cleared to go about life as usual.

Following this post I have put the deposit down and booked my appointments for the keyhole lasik at LVC. Consultation the end of July and the treatment early August.

How much did laser eye surgery cost you guys?

Considering having it done when I one day have funds,

Hate having to wear glasses and put contacts in ETC, I imagine as soon as I don't have to do this it'll feel amazing.

How much did laser eye surgery cost you guys?

Considering having it done when I one day have funds,

Hate having to wear glasses and put contacts in ETC, I imagine as soon as I don't have to do this it'll feel amazing.

Mine is £4800, but the clinic offers a monthly installment plan also if you want to go down that route and get it done sooner rather than later.

Had a consultation with focus yesterday and was quoted £3050. Apparently I should come out with 20/12 vision if I went ahead with the procedure.

going to book a consultation with London vision next.

So just back form the initial exams at London Vision Clinic.

What can I say apart from the service so far has been impeccable.

From the moment I walked into reception, they knew who I was, they were expecting me, had my paperwork ready to fill out. The place was immaculately clean, and staff always to hand.

Through the entire process, everything was explained, what they were doing, why they were doing it, my options, the procs and cons etc. If anything was even slightly questionable, they ran through the whole thing again to make sure the result was perfect.

Depsite a lot of people there, the place didnt feel crowded or rushed, more like everything was working together perfectly.

After the best part of 3 and a half hours ive come away knowing I am suitable for Relex Smile treatment (Perfect!) and that my eye health and optical quality is above average for people my age (one example, theres a chart with rows of 9 circles on them and you have to pick out which ones have very subtle contrasting lines on them, most people my age get 5's and 4's, while I was regularly in the 8's and 9's).

Booked in for tomorrow for consultation with the surgeon, and the actual procedure on Wednesday next week!

Had my eyes lasered 3 years ago this month - so only another 2 years until it's all paid up!

Best money I ever spent (and am still spending lol) and after 3 years the novelty still hasn't worn off!

As a counterbalance, had Lasek done in one of the popular London clinics last decade, it was unsuccessful, the experience was awful, complications lasted years, I wish I had never done it. I think it should be banned as commercial cosmetics format performed by private entities on high street and left only to hospitals.

The irony is that some former NHS hospitals have recently been privatised. And should the Tories get in again next term, this is going to continue. I believe Hinchingbrooke was the first, in 2011. Now run by Circle Group.

Whether this is a good or bad thing remains to be seen. Apparently Hinchingbrooke was failing under NHS management, and is now doing much better in private hands.

Who knows. I'm not qualified to pass judgement. But given that the NHS can now buy services from private providers, and indeed entire hospitals can be given into private ownership, it would seem that private healthcare is actually the future in this country.

So today the consult with Mr Glenn Carp. A very down to earth guy who took the time to get to know me a little as well as run through some checks to ensure all the tests yesterday were a accurate. As you can imagine with the care taken yesterday, they were.

Talked me through the procedure, the timings etc and when I can expect things to line up afterwards. Answered any questions I had and and made me feel very at ease about the whole thing.

Roll on Tuesday!

So today the consult with Mr Glenn Carp. A very down to earth guy who took the time to get to know me a little as well as run through some checks to ensure all the tests yesterday were a accurate. As you can imagine with the care taken yesterday, they were.

Talked me through the procedure, the timings etc and when I can expect things to line up afterwards. Answered any questions I had and and made me feel very at ease about the whole thing.

Roll on Tuesday!

Best of the luck with the surgery, hope it goes well for you. Always wanted laser eye surgery but never brave enough to risk it.

How do you find out which place is the best in the local area, failure rates, machines used, which are the best machines etc?

Need to go have a consultation and see what they say.

I had LASIK (i think) done in October 2000 (when i was 30). I was -3 in both eyes with astigmatism (which was cured as well).
Best money i've EVER spent, seriously.
In the past i'd had a contact lens kicked out of my eye whilst kick-boxing, one blow off my finger whilst holidaying in Greece, also a pair float out of my eyes whilst swimming underwater with my eyes open (in know...i forgot ok :rolleyes:).
And i was sick of wearing glasses too.
Treatment took 15 mins to do both eyes, and within about 4 hours i was back at home watching TV from about 15ft away with clarity.
Every day for the next 3 months or so my sight got better and sharper.
I've not had any side effects (thankfully) and even now my sight is excellent. Only my age and the relaxing of muscles around the eyes will start to leave me longsighted now.

For me the treatment was so uninvasive, that i'd have done it again had i needed to (my corneas were thick enough to have some more shaved off if need be). Many people i've spoken to wince when i tell them about the medieaval clamp they use to open the eye wide and the smell of buring when the laser does its job, but it was nothing, really.

edit: This was 14 years ago. I'd assume that technology is even better now.

Had my treatment at LVC today, what can I say apart from WOW.

My eyesight is still misty from the procedure, but the correction is amazing.

Absolutely thrilled, well worth the money.

Back
Top Bottom