Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

Man of Honour
If a few thousand opticians have now had it that makes no difference whatsoever. We should not be held hostage to words. My point is that on balance the optician/opthamic surgery profession is essentially unwilling to undergo the surgery they are recommending to the general public. That concerns me.
what utter garbage. yet more CT tactics.
you where utterly wrong and made it because you knew it would be hard to prove. you have no made an even harder claim and haven't backed it up.

Don't you have tin hats you need to be constructing, rather than wasting everyone's time, with such utter nonsense.

Associate
Is that your argument?

If we set "utter garbage, tin hats, wasting everyone's time, utter nonsense aside. In my opinion as a dental surgeon, it is universally a bad indication if a profession is unwilling to undergo their own treatments. I have no idea what you do for a living but what makes you so certain the alternate view is true; that the optical profession are lining up for their own eye surgery?

Man of Honour
I'm not the one qho keeps sprouting claims, most of which are wrong. you are the one making claims and don't have a good track record.

however we can show you lots of scientific research about eye surgery as well as what is it now almost 40 years worth pf data.

so yes you are very much using CT tactics, not backing up your claims, and getting your claims wrong. Your profession is meaningless, it gives you no authority or insight.

Associate
I am sorry it is difficult to attend to such wide-ranging statements.

I disagree with you; being a surgeon provides a unique perspective into recommending therapy for patients who are relying on your integrity to recommended treatments that are safe and effective. The ones I recommend I am normally willing to undergo myself. I have already stated that this view reflects my personal experience of speaking directly with opticians and ophthalmic surgeons who are experts in this field over several years.

I have to concede that I have no idea what CT tactics are.

Soldato
I don't understand what this means: "I can see 20/25". I thought the best you could see was 20/20 vision? My eyes are -3.25 and -3.50. I also have an astigmatism. I've always been scared of "risking" my eyes so never looked into this. When I read of the results being anything other than totally perfect forever, I'm totally put off ...especially with the costs.

Soldato
I had it done at Optical Express Liverpool, can't remember the doctors name but the procedure was called iDesign iLasik. As above I certainly can't complain with the result!

Edit: Actually just fished out an old email, the surgeon was called Mr Muhammad Kazmi :)

Do you mind if I ask you how much?

Best I've had so far is £3500... down from £4200

Man of Honour
If a few thousand opticians have now had it that makes no difference whatsoever. We should not be held hostage to words. My point is that on balance the optician/opthamic surgery profession is essentially unwilling to undergo the surgery they are recommending to the general public. That concerns me.

I thought you might be interested in knowing that the number of opthalmic surgeons who have had the procedure done was no longer zero so gave you a link, it was simply to correct what appeared to be a misconception. It doesn't affect your reference group of course and doesn't affect your right to be concerned.

I have to concede that I have no idea what CT tactics are.

CT tactics in this context are shorthand for conspiracy theorist - I'm not quite sure that it's the right term though for your views but Glaucus has tried to explain where he feels there's a certain similarity in your approach and that of a conspiracy theorist.

Soldato
Read a few posts on here, well the ones on topic and I have considered looking into laser surgery but what puts me off is the actual process. Now I guess you have your eye relaxed and as static as possible but I have terrible eye reflexes. What I mean by this is do you know the test where they fire air into your eye the pressure test well I dont like it and I guess others too but its that bad I anticipate the air shot and flinch. I really have to concentrate to stop myself flinching at the last second and quite often the Optician gets annoyed. I just can't help it. Took 20 minutes once just to complete that test. So what puts me off is if they fire the laser into my eye might end up losing an ear when I flinch. Sorry that was a terrible James Bond exaggeration.

Basically what I want to know is how does it feel when the laser surgery start forgive my ignorance.

Man of Honour
Read a few posts on here, well the ones on topic and I have considered looking into laser surgery but what puts me off is the actual process. Now I guess you have your eye relaxed and as static as possible but I have terrible eye reflexes. What I mean by this is do you know the test where they fire air into your eye the pressure test well I dont like it and I guess others too but its that bad I anticipate the air shot and flinch. I really have to concentrate to stop myself flinching at the last second and quite often the Optician gets annoyed. I just can't help it. Took 20 minutes once just to complete that test. So what puts me off is if they fire the laser into my eye might end up losing an ear when I flinch. Sorry that was a terrible James Bond exaggeration.

Basically what I want to know is how does it feel when the laser surgery start forgive my ignorance.

I can only speak to my experience with Relex Smile although I imagine all clinics follow a relatively similar process for the same types of treatment. The staff at the clinic tried to make sure I was relaxed and comfortable generally at all stages of the process, eye drops were used to anaesthetise the eyes before surgery, in the surgical suite a device was used to hold my eyelids open so I couldn't blink during the procedure - this was mildly disconcerting but not uncomfortable, then it's a case of staring into the bright green light while the surgery is carried out, it probably wasn't more than a minute for either eye and it was done, there was possibly a feeling of mild pressure on the eye while the machinery being positioned but it was very slight, my vision was naturally a bit blurry after that so I got taken to a gently lit recovery room to sit still and close my eyes for a while. I was lucky in that I had no pain or even feelings of grittiness in my eyes but I kept using the eye drops to the set schedule and all seems to be well so far.

Associate
Ah now I understand, thanks semi-pro. No it is not a conspiracy theory approach. But evidence (my experience of speaking first hand with opticians/surgeons) should not be confused with proof.

The laser surgery technology is incredibly clever and exquisitely accurate.

The best approach to all irreversible surgical procedures which by their nature have pros and cons and risks is to explore what is the benefit to you personally. And try not to be a pioneer and undergo new procedures which have no data for safety or effectiveness.

For instance I would have laser surgery if I had to wear massively thick glasses and the surgery would enable me to wear contacts or normal glasses or none!

Or if I had one bad eye - and I could have an op on that and even if there was a bad outcome I still had one good eye.

Personally, I am mildly shortsighted and it currently not worth the risk when I can wear glasses/sunglasses/disposable contacts until scientific peer reviewed studies demonstrate the risks are infinitesimal and the long term effects are known.

Man of Honour
its very much a CT tactic, and no anecdotal evidence is not evidence. especially when compared to actual surveys and peer researched.
all you have constantly does is use CT tactics, logical fails, appeal to authority etc.

a pioneer after many decades, hmmm

Soldato
I can only speak to my experience with Relex Smile although I imagine all clinics follow a relatively similar process for the same types of treatment. The staff at the clinic tried to make sure I was relaxed and comfortable generally at all stages of the process, eye drops were used to anaesthetise the eyes before surgery, in the surgical suite a device was used to hold my eyelids open so I couldn't blink during the procedure - this was mildly disconcerting but not uncomfortable, then it's a case of staring into the bright green light while the surgery is carried out, it probably wasn't more than a minute for either eye and it was done, there was possibly a feeling of mild pressure on the eye while the machinery being positioned but it was very slight, my vision was naturally a bit blurry after that so I got taken to a gently lit recovery room to sit still and close my eyes for a while. I was lucky in that I had no pain or even feelings of grittiness in my eyes but I kept using the eye drops to the set schedule and all seems to be well so far.

Thanks useful info.

Man of Honour
I cant remember the exact numbers, but I think the chance of something going wrong in a way that would leave you worse off was something like 100 million to 1.
risk is far higher than that
In the hands of an expert laser eye surgeon (such as those at London Vision Clinic) using today’s advanced technology, the chance of something going noticeably wrong is around 1 in 1000.
The chance of such a surgeon being faced with a situation where they could not satisfactorily correct the problem is closer to 1 in 30,000
The chance of going blind is almost too small to measure – probably around 1 in 5 million

and much more detail here
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ipg164/chapter/2-The-procedure#safety

Back
Top Bottom