Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

Soldato
The concern that I have is that being short-sighted I currently have fantastic close up vision... I can get around this by not wearing glasses / contacts when doing any fine detail work (i.e. painting / assembled models etc), however surely by having Lasik, people must see a reduction in their near sight? That would frustrate me.

Depends on your age. If you're above 40 and starting to get presbyopia, then yes, you'll likely see a reduction in your close range capability as you just burned away the extra reading power.

That being said, would you rather have one pair of reading glasses, or contacts + glasses or bifocals? I'd choose the reading glasses tbh.

Associate
Any of you guys have prior long-sighted astigmatism before laser?

Im getting really peeved off with wearing glasses at the moment, especially since I just got a new prescription and I am not getting on with them at all.

I have quite high astigmatism in my right eye (according to this new prescription sitting next to me) of 180. Whilst my left is only 5. Does anyone know if this high astigmatism affects my eligibility for Lasik?

I know this doesn't replace a proper consultation but just putting the feelers out for people who had a similar pre-op prescription.

Right Eye
Sph +4.50, Cyl -2.75, Axis 180

Left Eye
Sph +3.00, Cyl -2.0, Axis 5.0

Soldato
So I think I am going to get laser surgery eventually (have an Astigmatism)

Is there really any difference between the various companies? I was thinking Optical Express as I believe that is where a friend at work had his done (they have a clinic for the consult close to me and the actual place for surgery isnt too far either).

Soldato
So I think I am going to get laser surgery eventually (have an Astigmatism)

Is there really any difference between the various companies? I was thinking Optical Express as I believe that is where a friend at work had his done (they have a clinic for the consult close to me and the actual place for surgery isnt too far either).

If you ask me: It is your eyes. Don't cheap out on this crap and use a high street surgery. Go to the LVC and pay the 4.5k or so and get it done properly.

Soldato
I did Optical Express and have no complaints.

However, i waited until the offer was a fixed price no matter what your prescription - i think they still do those. Also, as a previous customer i can 'refer-a-friend'. If you do choose to do it with them make sure someone refers you as the referer gets £50 and the new client gets between £250 - £500 off their treatment.

Soldato
It puzzles me why many people on here fundamentally believe that anyone who doesn't use LVC is cheaping out.

I live in Bristol and 7 years ago decided to enquire about laser eye surgery so popped in to the nearest place to me, which happened to be Optical Express in Bristol. They quotes me 2.8k for surgery to match my prescription or 5k for their super duper one (wavefront). I initially opted for the cheaper option but as the day of surgery approached decided to go for the wavefront, figuring I want the best they offer for my eyes.

7 years later my vision is still better than 20/20, it's probably the best thing I ever spent money on. I don't think I cheaped out because I didn't use LVC.

Caporegime
It puzzles me why many people on here fundamentally believe that anyone who doesn't use LVC is cheaping out.

I live in Bristol and 7 years ago decided to enquire about laser eye surgery so popped in to the nearest place to me, which happened to be Optical Express in Bristol. They quotes me 2.8k for surgery to match my prescription or 5k for their super duper one (wavefront). I initially opted for the cheaper option but as the day of surgery approached decided to go for the wavefront, figuring I want the best they offer for my eyes.

7 years later my vision is still better than 20/20, it's probably the best thing I ever spent money on. I don't think I cheaped out because I didn't use LVC.

You realise you paid more than at LVC?

And there's a guy in this thread who's had a year long plus battle with optical express after they ****** his eyes up repeatedly?

I recommend LVC as I couldn't find any such horror stories about them but optical express/visor express there's loads

Sgarrista
Commissario

More to do with the recognition LVC has worldwide as being a leader in the field. And with only getting 1 shot at your eyes, I would rather go with an internationally recognized clinic than with a high street brand.

Of course the surgeons will be trained to a high standard, but in my mind, when it comes to your eyes a "high standard" isnt good enough, I wanted the best.

Soldato
You realise you paid more than at LVC?

And there's a guy in this thread who's had a year long plus battle with optical express after they ****** his eyes up repeatedly?

I recommend LVC as I couldn't find any such horror stories about them but optical express/visor express there's loads

How can you possibly know how much LVC were charging customers for Wavefront (which was new at the time) 7 years ago, to customers with the same shaped eyeballs and the same prescription as me?!

I'm aware of the case in this thread (poor bloke, I really feel for him) but there is a risk with any surgery. Has LVC got an utterly flawless record of having never ever produced any complications?

I can understand wanting the best and am glad you're happy with your results but the way you're carrying on is reminiscent of the Apple products brigade.

Soldato
More to do with the recognition LVC has worldwide as being a leader in the field. And with only getting 1 shot at your eyes, I would rather go with an internationally recognized clinic than with a high street brand.

Of course the surgeons will be trained to a high standard, but in my mind, when it comes to your eyes a "high standard" isnt good enough, I wanted the best.

A much more reasoned view which I can't really argue with, point taken.

Associate
My mom had a cataract operation last month and on the consent form it asked in very bold letters if she had ever had laser eye surgery before, this was also asked again during the pre op and before she was taken down for surgery. When she asked why they ask this, she was told that if you have had laser eye surgery in the past, they would not undertake cataract surgery, as they cannot Guarantee they could safely remove the lense. It's just worth thinking, about as I know not many people publicise this fact and getting to old age and finding your eye sight deteriorating with the possibility of no way rectifying it would concern me.

Man of Honour
My mom had a cataract operation last month and on the consent form it asked in very bold letters if she had ever had laser eye surgery before, this was also asked again during the pre op and before she was taken down for surgery. When she asked why they ask this, she was told that if you have had laser eye surgery in the past, they would not undertake cataract surgery, as they cannot Guarantee they could safely remove the lense. It's just worth thinking, about as I know not many people publicise this fact and getting to old age and finding your eye sight deteriorating with the possibility of no way rectifying it would concern me.
that isn't the case. The surgeon just needs to know some extra details before hand.
Is it true that I cannot have cataract surgery because I once had LASIK? I am only 57 and am worried about losing my eyesight.

Answer:

No, that's not true. Successful cataract surgery is possible for most people who have had laser-assisted in-situ keratomileusis (LASIK surgery) or other types of refractive surgery that reshape the cornea to correct vision. There is one important caveat, though. To ensure the most predictable vision outcome following cataract surgery, you need to provide your cataract surgeon with specific information about your eyes and eyesight from before and after your LASIK surgery.

To understand why cataract surgery is possible after you have had LASIK surgery, it is helpful to know some basics about the eye. LASIK surgery and some other procedures used to correct vision are performed on the cornea — the dome-shaped transparent tissue at the front of the eye. Think of the cornea as your eye's front window. During LASIK surgery, a laser is used to reshape the cornea so it will bend, or refract, light rays to focus more precisely on your retina — the light-sensitive membrane on the back inside wall of your eyeball — rather than at some point beyond or in front of your retina. The result is clearer vision.

Cataract surgery, on the other hand, is performed on the natural lens inside your eye. The lens, where a cataract forms, is positioned just behind the colored part of your eye, called the iris. The lens focuses light that passes into your eye, producing clear, sharp images on the retina. Normally, the eye's lens is transparent and clear. When the lens becomes cloudy, it is called a cataract. Cataract surgery involves removing the clouded lens and replacing it with a plastic lens implant. The replacement lens sits in the same place as your natural lens and becomes part of your eye.

The artificial lens placed during cataract surgery is designed to provide vision correction to replace eyeglasses as well as the removed cataract. For people who have not had LASIK or other types of corneal refractive surgery, vision correction with cataract surgery is usually straightforward, and the outcome is quite predictable. The surgeon takes measurements of the eye before surgery to help determine the correct lens power to implant. After cataract surgery, many people have clear distance vision without glasses, although most still need glasses for close-up work or reading.

For people like you who have had LASIK surgery, providing the appropriate lens implant for cataract surgery takes additional calculations to determine the correct lens power. In addition to taking measurements of the eye, the surgeon also needs an accurate record of your prescription before and after LASIK surgery, as well as an accurate measurement of the curvature of your cornea before LASIK. The records from your LASIK surgery should contain this information.

If you do not have your records, request them from the health care provider who performed your LASIK surgery. If you cannot obtain copies of your records, you can still have cataract surgery. The outcome for your vision correction, however, may not be as predictable as it would normally be following cataract surgery.

For people whose vision following cataract surgery is not acceptable to them, additional LASIK surgery might be an option, though sometimes a follow-up procedure to replace the lens implanted during cataract surgery might be necessary.

Because those records are so important, I strongly recommend that people who have LASIK surgery, or any other type of refractive surgery to correct their vision, request copies of all the information recorded by their eye care providers before and after the procedure. That way, it will be easily available if you need it in the future.

Caporegime
How can you possibly know how much LVC were charging customers for Wavefront (which was new at the time) 7 years ago, to customers with the same shaped eyeballs and the same prescription as me?!

I'm aware of the case in this thread (poor bloke, I really feel for him) but there is a risk with any surgery. Has LVC got an utterly flawless record of having never ever produced any complications?

I can understand wanting the best and am glad you're happy with your results but the way you're carrying on is reminiscent of the Apple products brigade.

well given you never said it was 7 years ago unless you had a very strong prescription you paid more than you would have at LVC they dont do different "levels", you pay your money you get the best they offer no tier system etc.

i have no idea if they have a flawless record but i couldn't find any horror stories, and one thing is they dont start charging you to fix their **** ups.

not really sure how it relates to apple when your saying its overpriced then quoting a price that's higher?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom