Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

Associate
that isn't the case. The surgeon just needs to know some extra details before hand.
if you are happy to take the chance it's obviously personal choice. When you are signing a medical consent disclaimer form, that puts the entire responsibility of your own vision in your hands, it's just worth thinking about, as they make such a point of asking numerous times. If it does all go wrong for you I'm sure the laser surgery provider will help fix things anyway, after all it's only a money making business with whom you have aleady signed a disclaimer form with, waiving any rights or come back on them. People just deserved to know what was said, right or wrong the surgeon said they would not do the operation if laser surgery had been undertaken in the past.

Soldato
Comparing the quality of surgeons to Apple fanboyism is the most retardedly absurd thing I have come across recently.

When you get operations done like this, you want to know who your surgeon is. You want to know their track record, this skill level and ability and what people think of them. You want the best you can get. LVC is highly regarded, your local optical express is not.

I don't think having LASIK prevents you from having any eye operations these days. It is also very likely that in 60 years cataract surgery will be very different from how it is now.

Soldato
Comparing the quality of surgeons to Apple fanboyism is the most retardedly absurd thing I have come across recently.

When you get operations done like this, you want to know who your surgeon is. You want to know their track record, this skill level and ability and what people think of them. You want the best you can get. LVC is highly regarded, your local optical express is not.

I don't think having LASIK prevents you from having any eye operations these days. It is also very likely that in 60 years cataract surgery will be very different from how it is now.

So when you get on a plane you only do so having thoroughly researched the pilot and the airworthiness of the aircraft etc? Or do you only take charter flights in a private jet after doing the above? No, you don't. You put your faith in the maintenance crew and aircrew and step on the plane.

Yet when laser eye surgery is concerned there is one one single place which can do a good job, having bred a team of crack supersurgeons who are way better than anyone else.

Gimme a break :)

Credit where credit is due LVC have their PR down to a tee.

Soldato
Are you just this thick on purpose? There is a huge difference between getting on planes and getting your eyes lasered. Look, we get it, you didn't go to LVC and it worked out fine for you - great! No need to start acting like they're all the same skill level wise in some kind of defence of your purchase.

Last edited:
Had both my eyes lasered by Optical Express late April 2017. I had the latest treatment, named iDesign, which is simply a bespoke scan of each eye to determine what to blast with the laser in the LASIK procedure (Imagine a generic remap vs bespoke rolling road remap, the bespoke one is just that little bit better).

Prescription (contact lense vs now):
Right eye -4.0, now +0.25
Left eye -3.0, now -0.25
Pretty sure I had an astigmatism too in one eye.

Now I can see everything in sharp detail. My left eye struggles with two lines below the 20/20 line and my right eye can read it OK.
I always disliked glasses and contacts gave me small bumps on my eye lids, which when the lenses were out at night (daily lenses) they would rub my eye. Whilst hayfever is blocking my nose, my eyes are significantly better than they used to be, as no contacts!

The procedure was <5 minutes total. I could not keep my eyes open for a few hours and they were uncomfortable. Just 4 hours after the operation and I felt fine. It was a Saturday, with a BH monday, so I was back at work on the Tuesday.
On one of my checkups they said a bit of blood had gone behind the flap on one eye, so the optician saw me one extra time than normal. I felt no different and did not think anything of it.

With bright lights I do get some halos, but it is one of those where if you weren't told in advance about it, would you even notice?

The oddest thing is people telling me that I will need glasses again when I am older. This seems a bit stupid to me as laser eye surgery simply made my eyes perfect (as close as I could ever hope) in April 2017 and will not stop me getting older! I am 29 btw.

They originally wanted £4500 @ 11.5%. Cost me £3600 @ 0% after some haggling a few weeks later as someone had cancelled.
The only annoying thing is the assistant at the desk was the one I had met for the free consultation a month or so earlier. He started telling me he tried to ring me with more money off, which I found very unprofessional. He was probably bitter about not getting comission.

Best money I have ever spent and I cannot recommend it enough.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you just this thick on purpose? There is a huge difference between getting on planes and getting your eyes lasered. Look, we get it, you didn't go to LVC and it worked out fine for you - great! No need to start acting like they're all the same skill level wise in some kind of defence of your purchase.

Great debating skills there Tephnos, calling people retarded and thick!

Well done :)

Soldato
Great debating skills there Tephnos, calling people retarded and thick!

Well done :)

Sorry, but I won't respond to obvious false analogy fallacies. You're deliberately pushing a false agenda based on your individual experience and it is awful to watch. If you want the best, you go to one of the renowned clinics such as LVC. Simple as that.

Soldato
The oddest thing is people telling me that I will need glasses again when I am older. This seems a bit stupid to me as laser eye surgery simply made my eyes perfect (as close as I could ever hope) in April 2017 and will not stop me getting older! I am 29 btw.

You will, but not because of myopia. Your lens will harden with age and sometime in your 40s, you will need reading glasses to see things close up again. Having a single pair of readers is much better compared to crappy bifocals, though.

Soldato
So when you get on a plane you only do so having thoroughly researched the pilot and the airworthiness of the aircraft etc? Or do you only take charter flights in a private jet after doing the above? No, you don't. You put your faith in the maintenance crew and aircrew and step on the plane.

Yet when laser eye surgery is concerned there is one one single place which can do a good job, having bred a team of crack supersurgeons who are way better than anyone else.

Gimme a break :)

Credit where credit is due LVC have their PR down to a tee.

If you die in a plane crash you won't know about it. If you have to live with reduced vision in one eye for the rest of your life because the procedure went wrong then that is a huge bummer.

Man of Honour
I had surgery with Optical Express in Bristol just over 2 years ago, no complaints. I only had one I done and I paid £1650 with iSight or whatever it's called.

It's like most people in this thread get kick backs from LVC.

Soldato
On the flip side, I've documented my saga with Optical Express, they're refusing any further treatment to fix the issue present in my left eye unless I pay for it, despite it being a complication that arose from the first surgery.

Man of Honour
Not surgery related, but I've had an annoying 'floater' on my right eye right in the middle of my vision. Rang Optical express and they said it's unrelated and to try repeatedly looking up and down and this should shift it - it seems to have worked. :)

On the flip side, I've documented my saga with Optical Express, they're refusing any further treatment to fix the issue present in my left eye unless I pay for it, despite it being a complication that arose from the first surgery.
Is there a particular post that summarises it all?

Man of Honour
I had surgery with Optical Express in Bristol just over 2 years ago, no complaints. I only had one I done and I paid £1650 with iSight or whatever it's called.

It's like most people in this thread get kick backs from LVC.
or you know, the main ones are fine for most people but when it goes wrong or you have a more complicated prescription, then LVC has the better statistics and is it worth risking it for the price, somethingIi still haven't decided.

Soldato
Not surgery related, but I've had an annoying 'floater' on my right eye right in the middle of my vision. Rang Optical express and they said it's unrelated and to try repeatedly looking up and down and this should shift it - it seems to have worked. :)

Is there a particular post that summarises it all?

I have floaters in my direct line of vision in which that technique doesn't work. Ultimately I'm going to have to find a doctor willing to remove them; it sucks.

Associate
Bit of a necro bump here but has anyone dealt with Advanced Vision Care before?

I was all set to go with Optical Express but they really don't want to budge on their price so considering AVC now.

Soldato
Bit of a necro bump here but has anyone dealt with Advanced Vision Care before?

I was all set to go with Optical Express but they really don't want to budge on their price so considering AVC now.

One of my buddies went to Advanced Vision Care a few years ago. He was pretty pleased.

Soldato
Slightly off topic but last night i got mr muscle in my eye. Had to go to A & E and have it flushed out with saline. Not pleasant.

Now you know what Eye protection is for! :p

(I got fairy liquid in my eye once, and that was bad enough. I could not believe how something that could hurt so damn much did not cause permanent damage! :eek: )

On a more on-topic note.

One of the things I have always been curious about is what are the statistics are for eye injuries in people who, after a lifetime of wearing glasses, have had laser surgery and now no longer need to do so.

Wearing glasses provides substantial eye protection by default so it is possible (Likely indeed) that long term spectacle wearers may loose some of the reflexes that non-wearers have to protect eyes from injury.

I would expect that the incidence of eye injuries in the year or so after laser treatment will be rather higher than average.

But does anybody actually have access to statistics that may confirm or debunk this hypothesis?

(Indeed, has anybody even actually bothered to investigate the possibility?)

Back
Top Bottom