Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

Soldato
Hello. Can I get this done for £750 per eye as that is my available budget? i am moderately short sighted with a somewhat small degree of astigmatism.

In 2009, i had laser eye surgery with Optimax. Optimax are running a referral scheme where the new customer would receive £500 discount towards their treatment (full disclaimer, referrer receives £50). If you want referring PM me.

Also, Optical Express offer 10% discount for Emergency Workers or HM Forces off all treatments, more discount for NHS workers - a nice saving if this applies to you.

As for me, it's been 11 years since my treatment (LASIK with Wavefront) but as i am getting older, i am finding reading difficult :(. I'm currently looking into RLE, but it seems to be around £3.5k per eye!!

Soldato
Went to the local Eye Infirmary before lockdown started for a laser eye assessment.
I can technically have it done, but there would be risks as both my eyes have very thin corneas, they recommended against it with current technology as the procedure would make both my eyes weaker than they are comfortable with against bumps etc

Tried multiple different soft and hard contact lenses as-well (15+ pairs) through 3 different opticians, only 1 pair got close to my glasses but they weren't stable at all and reading comfortably was a no go.

Was recommended to go back to the Eye Infirmary for a scleral lens appointment as it was determined they would be suitable for my eyes, but that was cancelled due to covid and there won't be a rescheduled appointment for a LONG time.

Associate
So what is the minimum I need to spend?

My prescription is -3.5 in each eye, I am getting LASEK done at optical express, they quoted me just under £4500, that is through the iDesign system.

This was quite a bit cheaper than the Wavefront quote I had a few years ago which was £6000, which whilst saving for a house deposit I felt was a bit much at the time.

Soldato
My prescription is -3.5 in each eye, I am getting LASEK done at optical express, they quoted me just under £4500, that is through the iDesign system.

This was quite a bit cheaper than the Wavefront quote I had a few years ago which was £6000, which whilst saving for a house deposit I felt was a bit much at the time.

That’s super expensive for the outdated VISX and iDesign platform that they use.

Associate
I was happy with the quote, maybe I should've haggled a little bit, but it was about the cost I was expecting. I do have astigmatism is one eye as well, and an old eye injury restricts my suitability for LASIK.

Plus their service was excellent and their after care services seem really good as well.

Soldato
I am 76 and up to last year I took my eyes for granted -just had yearly check up and new lens then last year poo hit the fan.
My right eye which is master eye now has Wet macular degeneration - In other words burst blood vessel. I have had injections to stop it going further but it doesn't seem to be working.
In one stroke it messed my life up -Can't shoot -can't read very well - even have difficulty putting the end of a screwdriver on end of a screw - and it's a pain in the ass.
Now my left eye looks as though it's going the same way.

I took my eyes for granted - With out them you are buggered - So no matter what the cost get your eyes fixed -take out a loan -beg borrow or steal but get them done.
When I came in from outside I had to sit here for 5 min waiting for my eyes to adjust from sunlight to darker room I am in.

Look after them -don't take them for granted -wear eye protection.

Soldato
I was happy with the quote, maybe I should've haggled a little bit, but it was about the cost I was expecting. I do have astigmatism is one eye as well, and an old eye injury restricts my suitability for LASIK.

Plus their service was excellent and their after care services seem really good as well.

I would get second and third opinions if your situation is complex, and would generally recommend looking into topography-guided ablation profiles if you've had prior eye injury (Optical Express do not offer topography-guided, their platform doesn't support it). At that price, you can visit almost anywhere.

At Moorfields they have the latest Schwind platform with very good PTK/PRK type treatments with great topography scanners and modellers, much more capable than what you'd find in your local Optical Express and it probably won't even cost you more.

Soldato
Thanks, are you in the industry?

No. But I just did an absurd amount of research (down to reading scientific papers, clinical trials and listening to conferences of Ophthalmic surgeons presenting and debating stuff) for months before deciding about my own surgery. I also looked into horror stories, lawsuits against chain providers, and other scary stuff.

I know it was obsessive and unhealthy, but sometimes I just can't help it :D

Soldato
Has anyone has this done with a prescription similar to -5 and -7? I have thought about if for a while but i’m a bit worried about the risks eapecially in the -7 eye.

Soldato
Has anyone has this done with a prescription similar to -5 and -7? I have thought about if for a while but i’m a bit worried about the risks eapecially in the -7 eye.

Depends on your pupil size and cornea thickness. Generally speaking for the average eyes -7D is considered pretty routine these days with modern platforms.

Permabanned
No. But I just did an absurd amount of research (down to reading scientific papers, clinical trials and listening to conferences of Ophthalmic surgeons presenting and debating stuff) for months before deciding about my own surgery. I also looked into horror stories, lawsuits against chain providers, and other scary stuff.

I know it was obsessive and unhealthy, but sometimes I just can't help it :D

What platform/procedure would you recommend for short sighted -4 lens with around -1.5 astigmatism?

Soldato
Wouldnt go anywhere else but here!

https://www.focusclinics.com/

You can pay interest free monthly

100% success rate and a ten year guarentee

So if your eyes deteriate sufficiently and require redoing its covered

They're pretty good. David Allamby is an excellent surgeon and they use a modern platform. They usually only take routine cases to maintain their 100% 20/20 success rate (i.e. if your best corrected vision before surgery is not 20/20 or better, they reject you).

Back
Top Bottom