Laws against low flying aircraft?

Soldato
We just had a very low flying aircraft which appeared to be dive bombing an area of houses, doing low level spins and what could only be described as generally showing off.

Are there any laws against this as I could even see the markings of the plane clearly. There are no nearby airports or landing sites nearby.

Anyone?

img4207urn.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

http://img38.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img4207urn.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I took a few pictues but I missed him when he was very low as he came too fast past the houses.

Ill uploads them.

Im in Chesterfield, dont think anything is planned for here.

Associate
If I recall correctly aircraft have to remain above 1000ft when flying over residential areas, with exception to take off and landing.

I think there is an exception for banner flying as well.

Soldato
OP
If I recall correctly aircraft have to remain above 1000ft when flying over residential areas, with exception to take off and landing.

I think there is an exception for banner flying as well.

He was definately below 1000ft. Im not sure the pictures appear as if he is that low but at points of his dives it was more like in 100's feet.

I dont know enough about planes to say if it was mil or civ but low level barrel rolls shouldnt be done over a residential area. It did look like something you would see at an airshow.

Man of Honour
The aircraft is not to be flown below a height that if it suffered a engine failure, making an emergency landing would endanger people or property.

500ft to any person, vessel, vehicle or structure.

1000ft above the highest fixed obstacle within a horizontal radius of 600m from the aircraft when flying over a congested area of city, town or settlement.

Both the above can be broken with the permission of the CAA in writing.

It's unlikely that you'll be able to do anything about it. We used to regularly get military aircraft dogfighting overhead. 4 F15s or 2 F15s and 2 Harriers or events like that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
AFAIK (this is going back to air cadets a few years ago) - its 500ft for civilian and 250ft for military.

The "military" aircraft include training aircraft like the bulldog etc.. (or whatever the equivalent is these days)

Soldato
Woah!

Spitfires are awesome, you're lucky you got a chance to see one flying!

It should be the law that they have to fly low over every house in Britain at least once a year!

Associate
not questioning your judgement but non pilots generally over / under estimate aircrafts altitutudes. Remember reading some CAA stuff at a safety meeting (incidently one where a spit pilot looped into the ground - painful) and there was one report from a lady claiming a 747 or something had flown over her house at like 500ft. She lived miles out from either luton or gatwick iirc.

Obviously aircraft was being tracked, at a height of something like 3000ft. I think the conclusiopn seems to be a sense of scale and no points of reference.

Back
Top Bottom