• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Leadtek 6800gt dead

Associate
Sorry to have to report that I bought one of these in June 2005 and my brother in law bought an Identical card (but from a different retailer) a week or so later.

Now BOTH of these failed within a week of each other in December.

Built in obsolence??? or just poor QC control.

Man of Honour
is this only a problem with a 6800GT??, i had a a400 6800 for over a year, was used in 3 different motherboards and was fine.

ive just baught a 7800GT i hope its gonna be alright. :(

Associate
OP
Guess what just turned up?

Hello,

Sorry but we had some problems with the e-mail therefor I didn't have the
chance to reply on e-mail for a while
Do you still have the problem?

Met vriendelijke groet,
Best regards,

Leadtek Support

That's 32 days after my original email.

Soldato
try a different output on the card if you havent already, i thaught my leadtek 69gt was dieing too but turned out i had dammage the vga output on the card so now i am using the dvi and converter with no problems.

Soldato
After posting I've had no problems my 6800GT has just died on me! Got it off another forum and the bloke cant find a reciept so unless I can get Leadtek to replace it I'm scuppered.

The thing just started to artifact on boot, got worse and then died. Thought it was a heat issue so pointed fans at it (not overclocked) then even replaced the cooler witha Zalman, finally replaced with stock but with AS5 (as the stuff on it was rubbish). The card wont even post now (although it is recognised!)

Any ideas?

Associate
OP
Sorry TBird, no ideas :/ I'd get an email off to LeadTek asap to be honest.

Dazzza: Yeah I tried that, no luck :\ Oh well, it's all sorted now.

I sent this back to LeadTek, as that email they sent me was bang out of order in my opinion.

Hi,

Thankfully I was able to exchange the card with the reseller for an XFX equivalent card.

To be honest, I've lost all faith in Leadtek after this whole incident. Before I got this card, I was under the impression that Leadtek could equal BFG, XFX and all the other big graphic card makers.

As for what you say about your company having e-mail problems, I apologise if what you're saying is true, but I work as an IT technical support person for a small construction company, and there's no way I'd get away with our email system being down for 32 days (that's how long it took you to reply), so god knows how an IT department for a large company like Leadtek could allow your system to be down that long.

Please see these two website:-

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=6265466#post6265466

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller686.html

The first link is to a web forum (you may need to sign up to view the thread properly) where many people are reporting problems with your cards. Some people are saying that they've had to replace their card 2-3 times because they keep breaking.

The second link is to a review of Leadtek, where you've gained a lifetime rating of 1/10. Again, many people are reporting their graphics cards breaking, then Leadtek taking forever to reply (like this occasion).

It may be something people higher up in the company might want to see.

Regards

Something had to be said to be honest.

Last edited:
Soldato
lol nice work on the email, hope they somehow remove their fingers from their rear ends and turn this around and sort things out for the sake of the people having trouble with them.

Associate
OP
TBirdUK: I used [email protected], although I'm 3 days late with my reply so you've probably found it by now ;)

All might not be well with my new graphics card like I though. Twice this morning my PC frooze. I turned the computer off, and the monitor had no signal (just like with the LeadTek card that i sent back!). Once I reseated it, it worked again. I turned off after that and left it, then my mum used it to check her mail, it crashed while she checked it.. after shutting down, i've got the same again, no monitor signal. I had to go to work after that so I guess I'll try it again later. BLoody things :/

Associate
TBirdUK said:
After posting I've had no problems my 6800GT has just died on me! Got it off another forum and the bloke cant find a reciept so unless I can get Leadtek to replace it I'm scuppered.

The thing just started to artifact on boot, got worse and then died. Thought it was a heat issue so pointed fans at it (not overclocked) then even replaced the cooler witha Zalman, finally replaced with stock but with AS5 (as the stuff on it was rubbish). The card wont even post now (although it is recognised!)

Any ideas?

Yes; the memory has failed. Just like it did on my 3 Leadtek 6800GT cards and many others before me. This memory failure is due to a manufacturing fault with the memory chips and can appear at any time. There were 10,000 of these cards with suspect memory chips shipped into the UK by Leadtek. Some of the 10,000 will never have a problem but clearly there is a fair proportion which do have a problem.

Andy

Associate
Would bad video memory cause memtest (not memtest86+) to fail? I know it's unlikely but i'm failing memtest in windows but not memtest86+ in dos.

Back
Top Bottom