LED headlamps

Mobster
Soldato
OP
It does seem to vary from provider to provider. Admiral asked but it didn't change the price, Churchill wouldn't insure, Direct Line wouldn't insure (but would without the lights, engine didn't seem to make a difference to price, just the lights!), others were more expensive but they specified additions separately from those put in, in the factory.

To be honest, I thought the numberplate told the insurance company what the car had anyway.

Soldato
I've done lots of insurance quotes online and by phone and never had to provide that sort of detail. The only things they ask about equipment are about what side the steering wheel is on and whether it has an alarm/immobiliser.

Soldato
Yeah, surely they mean after-market additions. What it comes with from the factory is never requested in my experience.

(Disclaimer: as I've only had insurance for three months and not for the previous 20 years before that, I may be talking total twaddle :p )

Soldato
Yeah, surely they mean after-market additions. What it comes with from the factory is never requested in my experience.

(Disclaimer: as I've only had insurance for three months and not for the previous 20 years before that, I may be talking total twaddle :p )
Several companies ask specifically for factory optional extras, which can be entirely sensible when you consider they can cause increased risks. I remember years ago the 'wingback' style VW R32 and RS4 bucket seats being stolen to order.

Soldato
Gigabit is correct, on online forms they are asking for modification to a cars standard specification including factory extras. I have been doing my renewal quotes and every company I tried had it and stated it included optional extras from the factory.

It may seem odd but bigger wheels means more expensive tyres and additional cost to replace after an accident. Same for LED headlights these are massively expensive to replace and many now need coded and calibrated.

Soldato
I can only tell you what Direct Line said, I wanted a quote as an existing customer and that's what they said. I did spend 10 minutes arguing with them to no avail. It's fine, Admiral is the same price anyway.

You clearly made it sound like an aftermarket modification.

Given that nearly all new cars have LED headlights as standard these days, one of the largest insurance companies in this country won't be declining based on that.

Soldato
I got a quote last week they do, I suspect you have just answered no to any modifications from the standard specification.

Just done a quote online. They do not even allow you to list mods or optional extras via an online quote. You simply have to agree to a list of assumptions including the one below.

The idea that they will not quote for anyone with any optional extra is absurd. They'd get like 5 quotes total where someone has selected a poverty spec with solid paint.

1ci86.jpg

Soldato
Just done a quote online. They do not even allow you to list mods or optional extras via an online quote. You simply have to agree to a list of assumptions including the one below.

The idea that they will not quote for anyone with any optional extra is absurd. They'd get like 5 quotes total where someone has selected a poverty spec with solid paint.

They do quote for LED headlights as I have them although standard. They will quote for factory extras I suspect they have got confused with it being a non factory option. Many people will ignore that box and just tick and not call up for factory extras, I did and they added on £14 for my factory upgraded alloys & tow bar. I don't think unreasonable as towing is an increased risk, towbar is powered so 1.5k to replace if rear ended and wheel/tyre £100 more to replace over the standard size.

Many companies allow you to select the options on the form, they are not looking for everything mainly headlights, wheels, Sat Nav and sunroof etc.

Soldato
They do quote for LED headlights as I have them although standard. They will quote for factory extras I suspect they have got confused with it being a non factory option. Many people will ignore that box and just tick and not call up for factory extras, I did and they added on £14 for my factory upgraded alloys & tow bar. I don't think unreasonable as towing is an increased risk, wheel/tyre £100 more to replace over the standard size.

Many companies allow you to select the options on the form, they are not looking for everything mainly headlights, wheels, Sat Nav and sunroof etc.

But direct line have no option to put down anything without phoning up. Do you really think they are deliberately trying to make 95% of people (made up number) who have at least one optional extra phone up?

Soldato
But direct line have no option to put down anything without phoning up. Do you really think they are deliberately trying to make 95% of people (made up number) who have at least one optional extra phone up?

Ask them not me, I am not sure why they don't include the option on the form many other companies do but ticking that box means you are declaring the car is standard. Up to you if want to take the risk of an issue come claim time. I highly doubt they will not pay out on a claim for not declaring a factory option I expect they won't bother on run of the mill claims or do similar to where people forget to declare points/accidents and deduct the additional premium cost if they were declared from the payout/add on to the excess.

Soldato
I think they are simply using the most logical interpretation of standard given the context of the web form and I suspect nearly everyone does. Otherwise that web form is useless.

Soldato
I think they are simply using the most logical interpretation of standard given the context of the web form and I suspect nearly everyone does. Otherwise that web form is useless.

I agree the form isn't clear other companies are better and do state it includes factory extras and lets you pick them from a list. When you phone them they are clear it includes factory extras, I am sure the wheels were listed as Alloy Wheels optional extra (I went else where for cover so never got a certificate)

I am sure many people agree to a standard car, my wife's car has quite a lot of extras and she wouldn't be able to list any of them !

Soldato

That is in relation to a variation to the standard spec the car when delivered not the base model of the car. So when they put the cars VIN in to do repairs it will tell them what wheels, headlights, body kit etc it came with and they can order the correct parts. If its fitted after at the dealer then it becomes a modification as it deviates from the cars build specification.

I fell foul of this years ago with my first 5 series where they were classing Xenon lights as rally spotlights etc, etc. All beacuse I phoned up and asked if factory fitted options were optional extras. The problem is that the sales people dont really understand either and sometimes they say yes other times no. Since then I spoke with a few different insurance companies including both admiral and direct line and once you get put through to someone with a bit of experience its never been an issue. After all how many third and forth generation owners know what was factory base spec.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom