Legal system at it's best...

Soldato
OP
So are you saying that they didn't take a statement under caution from her? If, during that time, they didn't take her in to another room for an interview then there's your bit that doesn't make ANY sense. They didn't think that it was worth getting a statement for her, yet passed it on to the CPS?

To be honest most of the tale does not stack up to me, but then criminal law is not my forte.

Don't know about the cautions and questioning I'm afraid - Didn't ask about that.

Most of the tale doesn't stack up? The only point I was dubious myself about was the speed at which the conviction took place? At the end of the day, the police had two people in custody, I'm guessing with no witnesses it was two peoples word against each other. One was injured... So I'm guess they had no evidence the money ever existed, that someone stole it, so the only evidence was an assault? The fact one of the people's English wasn't great, and they were probably very upset, probably didn't help the facts come across?

Soldato
OP
why isnt it self defense and not assault? lets say if someone grabs your money etc, you push them, they fall and hit their head on the floor and are knocked out... what then?

My guess is, no witnesses, no evidence, so the only thing to follow through with is an assault charge - ie: one party is injured.

Soldato
OP
That story doesn't add up to me.
Yes, I can fully understand that - I've double/tripple checked the events with my colleague a number of times over the past week and a half, and he is not one to lie...

I fully understand how bizarre it sounds - but as far as I'm concern this is what happened.

If/when more facts arise (to support or not support it) I'll post them :)

Permabanned
No matter what you think your "friend" is, or is not, capable of, I'm playing the shenanigans card.

They're winding you up. There is just no way the story you described is true in any way at all. The actual mugging part may be true, but the so called fast-track "justice" is not.

Soldato
OP
No matter what you think your "friend" is, or is not, capable of, I'm playing the shenanigans card.

They're winding you up. There is just no way the story you described is true in any way at all. The actual mugging part may be true, but the so called fast-track "justice" is not.

Fair enough... Again I can understand your opinion. My opinion - and I've know the individual for many many year - is based on the fact I've had repeated chats with the guy, and that I believe him.

The only way this story is false is if the facts have been relayed wrong to him, and he's spoken to the station directly... :confused:

Again though, I'll post more news as it happens? (if it happens)

Soldato
Well I believe you OP.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, all I can say is if you need more than £150 say, do it all in a bank or write a cheque.

Sorry to hear about this.

On a side note, were those involved of an ethnic minority? I mean I'm not racist per se, but I can see how a ruling would be made against or in favour of one.

Soldato
It just can't be. The courts are so clogged up that there's no way such a minor 'crime' would be would be given a full hearing the very next day, especially when the nanny wasn't in custody.

Soldato
OP
It just can't be. The courts are so clogged up that there's no way such a minor 'crime' would be would be given a full hearing the very next day, especially when the nanny wasn't in custody.

That was my initial feelings too... But if you know 'facts' to the different please do let us know...

Associate
The Daily Mail is the most anti-police paper going and will likely blame everything on them, including 9/11. It is the most worthless arsewipe of a paper in existence, closely followed by The Guardian.

The girlfriend's dad reads the mail religiously (retired in December from Northumbria police), but then he is a Thatcherite through and through as is every member of the police I have met in person. Never noticed it being anti-police, but that's probably because its so anti anyone non-white, non middle/upper-class whilst pretending not to be, it probably gets lost in the tone of hatred.

Soldato
if the storys true then either the lawyer or her are idiots for pleading guilty

why plead guilty if your not guilty ? half the time you can get away with it even if you are guilty

surely when the police took them all back to the station they (the police) would have seen who had or who didnt have 500quid and could check with her banking to make sure she wasnt lying

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Was the mugger knocked out?
If not she must have made a massive decison to stay and charge the woman she mugged.

Not sure if she was knocked out, but hospital treatment was required I believe...

surely when the police took them all back to the station they (the police) would have seen who had or who didnt have 500quid and could check with her banking to make sure she wasnt lying
Think about it... What's to stop me withdrawing £500, giving it to a mate, than accuse two complete strangers of knicking it? There's no proof? So I guess this is the problem the police face?

Caporegime
Think about it... What's to stop me withdrawing £500, giving it to a mate, than accuse two complete strangers of knicking it? There's no proof? So I guess this is the problem the police face?

well if you did you'd just be down £500, the two people would be let off because there's no evidence, and you would get nothing.

there would be no point to what you've just suggested the banks not going to give you another £500.

although there is usually CCtv pointing at ATMs.

Back
Top Bottom