Lenovo Ideapad 5

Soldato
It's arrived! I've literally only used it to set up Windows, but thoughts are:

Build quality is good, although typing on the keyboard has a bit of a hollow feel compared to my old MacBook (but otherwise the keyboard is nice)

Similarly, the touchpad isn't a patch on the MacBook

The screen seems fine although the viewing angles aren't exceptional

Urgh, Windows

In short, for the price so far it seems excellent (but I've done very, very little with it). It's not on a par with the MacBook, but getting a MacBook approaching this spec is over twice the price so that's not surprising. I'm going to have a bit more of a play at lunchtime and tonight

Man of Honour
OP
@manic111 which screen did you get? is it the thin 2.4mm 100% srgb screen?

just checked my order status...apparently it's expected to be shipped august 31st...
trolololol
@Minstadave how did you wing the 10% refund?

Caporegime
@manic111 which screen did you get? is it the thin 2.4mm 100% srgb screen?

just checked my order status...apparently it's expected to be shipped august 31st...
trolololol
@Minstadave how did you wing the 10% refund?

I just emailed the customer service email and asked as it was 7 weeks wait rather than 3-4 when I ordered. They replied and sent a refund a few days later.

Man of Honour
OP
Lenovo seem to be quoting 6 weeks+ on these, is that typical!?
Think it depends what you order and their backlog. Mine arrived inside 2 weeks. Others who ordered 4800u laptops look like being a lot longer
yeah. my ideapad with 4800u has been delayed til 31st august
= 10 weeks lead time
(though if i can wing a 10% discount like minstadave and get it down to £610 shipped...i'll be a happy chappy)

Soldato
I'm really impressed with mine now. The touchpad leaves a little to be desired but is far from bad. The screen is good, the keyboard is excellent, and performance seems good, although I've not gamed on it yet.

Soldato
I'm really impressed with mine now. The touchpad leaves a little to be desired but is far from bad. The screen is good, the keyboard is excellent, and performance seems good, although I've not gamed on it yet.

Please can you provide feedback once you've gamed on it? I'm toying with getting one of these as a general use and light gaming laptop. Which cpu did you choose?

Caporegime
Please can you provide feedback once you've gamed on it? I'm toying with getting one of these as a general use and light gaming laptop. Which cpu did you choose?

My 4800U 15" is great after a couple of weeks with it. I still think the 14" is better overall but that wasn't available at the time. If buying now I think the 14" has some real benefits (can get all metal build, trackpad isn't off centre, has a second M2 slot).

I've put some of my thoughts in the 2nd post but if there's anything specific you want to know let me know. I've used it for Lightroom (CPU power is so impressive) and for some light gaming (Civ 6 runs like a dream). For more graphics heavy games the lack of GPU horsepower is evident and it gets a bit noisey.

Latest BIOS seems to have toned down the over aggressive fan curve which is good, means that Lenovo is acting quickly to sort issues.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom